Author Topic: Compliance plate doesn’t match VIN.  (Read 543 times)

Offline Wigspotter

• THANKS 0
Compliance plate doesn’t match VIN.
« on: January 16, 2019, 06:56:39 PM »
Hi, I’m hoping someone here may have some advice for me.

I bought a perentie GS from a bloke who bought it ‘incomplete’ from the auctions. It was mostly complete but had a some dinged panels. Most things were simple enough bolt on replacement.

I’ve only recently noticed that the VIN on the compliance plate doesn’t match the VIN stamp. The log book matches the chassis stamp. The log book mentions it had some accident damage repaired at some point. Possible firewall swap then? Certainly didn’t happen after the other guy bought it at auction.

What is likely to be the most straightforward way to get it registered (NSW)? Or is this a world of hurt and should I part it out?

Thanks, Conor

Offline 303Gunner

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 128
  • REMLR No: 128
Re: Compliance plate doesn’t match VIN.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 08:41:25 PM »
There have been vehicles sold at the auctions without any Compliance Plates, and these have been succesfully (and legitimately) registered when accompanied with a Manufacturer's Letter that states that the vehicle, when built, complied with the Motor Vehicle Standards Act 1989. (My 6x6 is one example).

Having lost your Compliance Plate, I would contact Jaguar Land Rover Australia and inquire how to obtain such a letter. The Good People at Australian Frontline Machinery should be able to assist with who to contact.

Ensure that any receipt or blue slip shows the correct chassis VIN, and not the erroneous number on any other plate.

Offline Wigspotter

• THANKS 0
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 10:03:02 PM »
Thanks 303.

I’d read something along that line. I contacted JLR and received this response:

“Our Vehicle Compliance team have reviewed your request, and have advised that based on the VIN details provided, as this vehicle was originally sold without a compliance plate, and sold non-operational and incomplete, Jaguar Land Rover are unable to supply a Letter of Compliance in this instance.”

Will clarify with them that I do have one, correct for a GS but incorrect VIN but don’t like my chances.

Is there another way I can go about it? Have the chassis restamped or something?

C

Offline isuzutoo-eh

• THANKS 33
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 02:48:02 PM »
There's a place in Blacktown, in Leabon's Lane next to the cheesecake shop and at the other end from the illegal brothel massage parlour, that makes replacement compliance plates. I've never tried to contact them but drive past every other day. Their main business is trophies...
-Mark
ex-NSW Police 2a. Civvy One Ten. 204-986 PT1-1.2. 50-543 project stretch limo. Formerly 48-803 110 FFR

Offline kman

• THANKS 31
  • REMLR No: 278
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 04:52:53 PM »

I see you say "Certainly didn’t happen (i.e. applying the incorrect plate) after the other guy bought it at auction." Not sure why you believe that.

However JLR have stated that "this vehicle was originally sold without a compliance plate" so it would be reasonable to assume that the purchaser applied the incorrect plate. If that is the case you have every right to demand a refund of your money and, if you so desire, to report him to the police as it would appear he has committed several offences not the least of which would be fraud in selling you a vehicle that is supposedly compliant when it is not.

On the other hand if it was sold with the incorrect compliance plate then the vendors need to be brought into this. However, that is the purchasers problem, not yours, and I would still be going to him for a refund rather than continue trying to sort out this can of worms.
Ferret Mk 1/2
MUTT M151A2
No 5 Trailer, RAAF Tactical Trailer

Offline Wigspotter

• THANKS 0
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 09:54:01 PM »

Thanks lads. I’ll update once I get the proper sale info from AFM. Will save trophy hunting as the last resort!