Author Topic: Compliance Plates  (Read 793 times)

Offline kman

• THANKS 31
  • REMLR No: 278
Compliance Plates
« on: October 05, 2018, 10:22:03 AM »
I was bidding on a Perentie without a compliance plate at the last auction - not successful, though. I made some enquiries re compliance plates and got this reply when I asked about getting a plate made if I had a letter from the manufacturer:

Sure we can do this for you. Just as long as it has the approval number, category, vin, engine number, and date of manufacture.

Simply, email us with the details of the vehicle (such as VIN number, etc) or send us an image of your plate you would like amended.

The cost of the plate is $65 + $15 delivery fee, payable upfront and then we will commence the draft from the art department.

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Joshua Currie
Operations Manager
Compliance Plates Australia
59 Leabons Lane
Seven Hills NSW 2147
Ph: 02 9622 5258
Web: complianceplates.com.au

Ferret Mk 1/2
MUTT M151A2
No 5 Trailer, RAAF Tactical Trailer

Offline dugite

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 98
  • REMLR No: 374
Re: Compliance Plates
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 01:21:41 PM »
that's useful info kman - thanks
2a 109 114-341,
No.5 173-589,
W/S Platform 178-000,
PT1 204-796

Offline 303Gunner

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 128
  • REMLR No: 128
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 03:30:51 PM »
I made some enquiries re compliance plates and got this reply......
I went through this a couple of years ago and the same answers I found from all states was that the plate cannot be replaced if lost or missing, and it is an offence to to affix anything other than the original.

For example, in Qld: https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Vehicle-standards-and-modifications/Vehicle-modifications/Frequently-asked-questions-vehicle-standards-and-modifications.aspx

"My vehicle's identification/compliance plate is missing from my vehicle, can I purchase a new one?
Once a vehicle's identification/compliance plate has been lost it cannot be replaced. Provided acceptable proof can be supplied showing the vehicle had previously been registered in Australia, the vehicle is still able to be considered for re-registration.

Further information regarding missing identification/compliance plates can be found in Information Sheet No. 5 in Vehicle Standards Instruction G21 Information Sheets for Approved Examiners."

Referring to the Motor Vehicles Standards Act 1989 (which applies Australia-wide), clause 12 says:

"12  Offences in relation to identification plates

It is an offence for a person:

(b)  to manufacture or supply a device purporting to be an identification plate; or

(c)  to place a device purporting to be an identification plate on a road vehicle or a vehicle component knowing the device is not such a plate or reckless as to whether it is such a plate or not; or

(d)  to place an identification plate on a road vehicle or a vehicle component.

Penalty:  120 penalty units."

Currently, one "penalty unit" is $110, so 120 penalty units equates to a fine of $13,200.

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 52
  • REMLR No: 482
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 04:33:55 PM »
Hi Gunner - You might like to read more of the legislation as this is only one section.

Cheers

STDDIVER

Offline 303Gunner

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 128
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 10:22:53 PM »
Is there a section you would like me to read in particular?

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 52
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 06:58:33 PM »
Yes - Missing or illegible plates - Cheers

Offline 303Gunner

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 128
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 10:46:24 PM »
Yes - Missing or illegible plates - Cheers
Well, this is good news, Frank!

So, here's the Act: https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2016C00857

Which clause (number please) authorises replacing missing or illegible compliance plates? I can't seem to find it.

NSW RMS is quite adamant it is a serious offence, so it will be good to go back to them and quote your information. That said it's not so important, as RMS (as well as other States) have various ways to register a vehicle without a compliance plate present.

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 52
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 04:54:44 PM »
Thanks mate - that's my point - I suppose we all look to the specific regulation which aludes to penalties for non compliance, however after 20 years in the job, I have learned that the courts and state government processes realise that there are and will always be exceptions to the rule which are not always legislated for.  Hence the significant number of torts going through the courts.  The correct way to proceed is not to make your own plate but to enquire of the system what is required in order to comply.  Years ago, I intercepted a bloke who had made his own compliance plate and the plate was as bodgie as hell.  His explanation was that his vehicle never had one when he recently bought it, which was why he made one and he was on the way to get the vehicle registered and felt that if there was no plate the registration would not go through.  He was acting in good faith, in my view there was no criminal intent, and whilst technically commiting an offence no court would convict him. I did not charge him and sent him on his way.  Subsequently I followed up with Vic Roads and fund out that he was required to and he ordered a new plate which was affixed to the vehicle and all was good.  The other side is when a person fraudently makes a compliance plate with intent to deceive or hide a stolen vehicle and then hence the Section 12 offence.  This is what I believe you are refering to and rightly so.  Not everything is covered by the regulations but one rule is paramount - the specific offence always overrides the general and must apply in every respect.  Many cases have been wrongly brought before a court and have been dismissed as a result.  Good discussion!   STDDIVER

Offline 303Gunner

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 128
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 06:04:32 PM »
Good to see you're Fair and Reasonable, many others in a similar position are not. The lenient views held in Victoria may not be shared by officials in NSW, Qld, WA, etc.

In the face of explicit advice from the RMS that it's taboo (and indeed the wording of the Act which applies across Australia), along with the very real potential for a $13,000 fine, I'd still give it a wide berth rather that hope and pray for an understanding Inspector or examiner (or Magistrate!), particularly when it is entirely unnecessary to establish or renew rego.

Offline Mick_Marsh

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 103
  • REMLR No: 310
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 10:13:52 PM »
particularly when it is entirely unnecessary to establish or renew rego.
Damned good point.
REMLR # 310, MVCA # 364, 101 Club # 2188, MHG #101
29-417 101 GS, 30-248 101 Rapier Tractor. 30-238 101
34-597 Crump & Cornish 1 ton Cargo Trailer
RT21 RAAF Track Tactical Trailer, 234-671 RAAF Track Tactical Trailer