Author Topic: Gearbox problems  (Read 1763 times)

Offline Rob6x6

• THANKS 8
Gearbox problems
« on: September 28, 2018, 05:56:35 PM »
Hi Fellas,
I have got a problem with my gearbox.  I was heading up hill under load and got to a tight pinch I changed back from 3rd to 2nd and very shortly afterwards the transfer lever jumped from high into neutral and now it seems to be an ongoing issue.  I have tied back the lever to prevent it from happening and to keep the show on the road.
Can anyone help with a diagnosis and possible fix?
I am hoping it's not a major problem.

Cheers Rob

Offline Philthy

• THANKS 71
  • REMLR No: 425
Re: Gearbox problems
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 05:00:07 PM »
Hi Rob while your waiting for someone who knows more than me to chime in I'd check your rubber mounts Box & Engine.

May have moved a tad and its not unheard of for the Hi N Lo leaver to foul inside the metal/hole surround on the fiberglass Transmission hump in Hi with a bit of play in the mounts. Whip the gear-lever boot off and check it out loading and unloading it with the clutch to check the gap.

If its this it will be a easy fix.

Just a thought Rob.

Offline Rob6x6

• THANKS 8
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 10:04:30 AM »
Thanks Philthy
I will have a look as you suggest.
Cheers Rob

Offline BEARMAN

• THANKS 114
  • REMLR No: 430
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 07:36:53 PM »
Hi Fellas,
I have got a problem with my gearbox.  I was heading up hill under load and got to a tight pinch I changed back from 3rd to 2nd and very shortly afterwards the transfer lever jumped from high into neutral and now it seems to be an ongoing issue.  I have tied back the lever to prevent it from happening and to keep the show on the road.
Can anyone help with a diagnosis and possible fix?
I am hoping it's not a major problem.

Cheers Rob

G'day Rob, You could have any one or more of 3 problems.
1.    Gear lever linkages fouling on the insulation under the transmission tunnel
2.    Selectors for hi-lo selector gear out of adjustment
3.    Intermediate shaft problem such as out of preload, bearing failure or even a broken bolt which holds the whole shaft together (most likely scenario).
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 08:39:08 AM by BEARMAN »
09/1998 Perentie 6X6 ARN202516 - BRUTUS

Offline Rob6x6

• THANKS 8
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 09:35:06 PM »
Thanks Bearman,
I will start the investigation.  If the third scenario is the culprit will that mean a full box rebuild or something less drastic?

Cheers, Rob

Offline BEARMAN

• THANKS 114
  • REMLR No: 430
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 06:18:14 AM »
It can be done without dropping the box.
09/1998 Perentie 6X6 ARN202516 - BRUTUS

Offline Rob6x6

• THANKS 8
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 06:28:24 AM »
Thanks Bearman,  that's good to know.
Cheers Rob

Offline fc101

• THANKS 55
  • REMLR No: 243
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 11:56:16 AM »
When I got my 101, I had the issue of popping out of low range and was a combination of 2 and 3.  The cable was out of adjustment but inside the tfr case where the levers activate the gears that was also out of adjustment - was easy to undo the retaining bolt and turn on the shaft. 

Your situation is most likely similar to mine so look at this first before looking at the hard and expensive stuff.

Now mine works fine BUT it occasionally does slip out but this is more due to operator error.  When you change range it can feel as if it has gone in but if under load it hasn't - when you ease off it goes into neutral or may drop out when load is reapplied - so I usually change ranges with two motions - change range and second or two later just pull the lever again to just ensure - it is amazing how many times just pulling it in has not fully engages and the second movement gets it in.  This is not adjustment just the alignment of gears on the first movement. 

It is intuitive now and the transfer case never bangs out of range now.

Garry   

Offline Rob6x6

• THANKS 8
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 06:20:29 AM »
Thanks Garry, I hope it is the non expensive problem.  Will probably get to it over the weekend. 
Cheers Rob