Author Topic: RFSV under-tub winch-up twin jerrycan carrier  (Read 2220 times)

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
  • REMLR No: 007
RFSV under-tub winch-up twin jerrycan carrier
« on: September 20, 2018, 10:05:21 PM »
Down below is the first RFSV under-tub winch-up twin jerrycan carrier I photographed, at the Land Rover Expo at Castle Hill Sep. 2014.
It was under Boxy's RFSV and he did a demo on the winching down and up.

I have recently taken archive photos of a NOS carrier. One day the details here may help a restorer.

The carrier mounts where the GS and FFR have their spare tyre, i.e., under the rear of the bodywork.
In the pic of Boxy's RFSV you can see the wheel brace in the slot to turn the spare tyre winch.

The under-tub RFSV winch up carrier is designed to fit two (traditional design) steel jerrycans stowed on their sides. Each jerrycan is approx. 345mm X 165mm X 470mm. The carrier box is manufactured from 1.90mm thick zinc electroplated steel. The steel sheet is machine cut and folded (at the four corners and on the lip of the east-west sides of the carrier).

The east-west sides of the carrier have a folded tab to overlap the north-south sides at the corners, and they are spot welded there. In the center section of the carrier base is a rectangular second piece of sheet steel spot welded in place to make a double thickness area of the base (designed to reinforce around the hole where the winch chain operates, i.e., where the carrier assembly is subjected to highest stress).

The carrier has four steel grab handles (riveted on with the aid of flat washers). The handles are 152mm long. These rivets are 50mm from the carrier base. The grab handles are used for moving the carrier in and out of winching position under the vehicle.

The carrier orientation: mounted behind the rear axle, i.e., the longest sides (with the grab handles) are parallel with the east-west line of the axle.
The carrier assembly length: east-west "higher sides" are 800mm long.
The carrier assembly width: north-south "lower sides" are 494mm long.
The carrier assembly depth: east-west "higher sides" are 204mm high and the north-south "lower sides" are 152mm high.
The carrier assembly weight (unloaded): 15kg.
The carrier assembly weight (loaded): 57kg (i.e., 15kg carrier weight, plus two steel 20 litre jerrycans weighing 4.5kg each, plus 40 litres of diesel at 0.83kg per litre).

There are two chassis rail mounting brackets spot-welded onto both of the east-west sides of the carrier box (4 brackets in total). Each mounting bracket has segments of rubber buffer riveted where the north-south chassis rails locate in the mounting bracket. The rubber buffers (part HYG2543) and associated galvanised steel brace strips (part HYG2652) are fitted using rivets. These are the same parts used in the twin jerrycan trays mounted onto each end of the rear chassis crossmember.

The four individual green poly webbing cargo straps (22mm wide, 200kg capacity) are fixed onto the carrier base at the outside ends with ANCRA Australia 25mm footman loops (part 43977-10, 500kg capacity using heavy duty rivets and a sewn loop in the webbing) while the adjustable end of the webbing is fixed to the base using a flat hook with a keeper (ANCRA Australia Flat Hook part 40044-10, 750kg capacity). The straps are adjustable to suit the jerrycan cargo using ANCRA Australia cam buckles (part 40880-21, 400kg capacity). see http://www.ancraaustralia.com
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 05:44:35 PM by Carzee »

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
Re: RFSV under-tub winch-up twin jerrycan carrier
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 10:06:43 PM »
more photos

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 10:07:54 PM »
last 2 photos

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 08:37:09 AM »
I hope a ex-member of an Australian Army unit such as 51FNQR would comment on this bit of kit? -hint hint-

PITA? Did it fill up with mangrove mud and weigh a ton? Did it stress or damage the tyre winch mech? Can it carry 2 slabs just as easily as jerrys? Does the new "rfsv" have a carbon-fibre equivalent with onboard mud overload sensors?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 05:45:29 PM by Carzee »

Offline dugite

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 103
  • REMLR No: 374
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 02:09:56 PM »
Great description for posterity Ross  :) - regards, Lionel
2a 109 114-341,
No.5 173-589,
W/S Platform 178-000,
PT1 204-796

Offline Hell-Fire

• THANKS 8
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 04:41:19 PM »
I recently purchased a new one of these off a seller on Gumtree for my RFSV after I seen it in the drivers manual, I plan to carry water Jerry cans in mine and I think the weight cannot be a bad thing.

If any more photos are wanted let me know.

Great write up Ross.
John in Central Victoria
1991 EX Pilbara Regiment RFSV ARN 51-736
1985 Suzuki DR250 ARN 42-454
1942 Willys MB

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 09:52:55 PM »
I have received photos from Mike S., showing another version of the carrier. I presume this style was issued as part of the Mission Upgrade Kit. Side by side you can see the sides have been redesigned /cutaway to lighten the unit.

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 09:55:08 PM »
I will also archive here two photos from Craig B showing a loaded carrier both on the ground and then mounted.

Offline Barefoot dave

• Vendor
  • THANKS 81
  • REMLR No: 369
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 06:39:32 PM »
Again Mr Carswell, nice archiving job.
If the 'hint-hint' was aimed at me: the introduction of the Weight reduction ('With Safety Modifications') program post dated my service by 8ish years so I can't provide anythign worthwhile to the conversation. Mine has sat on the shelf since purchase so Idont even have any recent experice to provide. With the imminent completion of my SFPV tailgate, I'll have an alternative space for the spare and can sub in the carrier. Will see if I can remember to load it up next rough trip I go on and provide a report.
Kind Regards, Barefoot Dave.
Reunited with my old mate, RFSV 51 680, 'Sleazy'!!
D2 TD5 Auto
Gone:'91 RFSV, '88 Truck Carryall 48 358. Both cared for by REMLR members.