Author Topic: Parakeet CSA & RRA Info  (Read 149 times)

Offline Perentiewrecker

• THANKS 1
  • REMLR No: 538
Parakeet CSA & RRA Info
« on: September 13, 2018, 06:52:22 PM »
Any idea how much weight is the Parakeet CSA and RRA? Does it own power supple? How many of them were made? Are they built by British Aerospace Australia?

MJCQ#D163, REMLR#538
1989 Perentie GS MC2 6x6 ARN 50 746 own since 2016
1989 Perentie GS MC2 winch 4x4 ARN 48 929, 2015-2016

Offline ECN405

• THANKS 4
Re: Parakeet CSA & RRA Info
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 12:35:30 PM »
gather you are referring to the units on Grays (VIC) up for grabs. They dont show the insides, so hard to tell what state they are in. Each unit came with a genset, behind one of the canvas covers, wonder if they are there? They do have their own DB internally, but you cant see if they have been gutted or not. The CSA unit you can climb inside and work on the switch, pretty pokey though. As for the RRA units, its work off the side and open it up. You would have to do some mods alright to turn them into a camper. They were built by BAE. If the radio gear is still in there it would be awesome, but I see the external straps are void of the antennas. Front box on RRA units held the pump up mast (see picture). No idea how many are out there, but at a guess on field sig units, there is a good few more to come, I'd say these belonged to school of sigs, watsonia at a guess being Melbourne, they would be the first to get rid of them being a training establishment.

Offline Perentiewrecker

• THANKS 1
  • REMLR No: 538
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 05:09:39 PM »
Thanks ECN405 for information. Yes, I thinking about to buy CSA for my Perentie 6x6 GS as camper/parakeet replica. I will be interested to see what inside if I get :)

MJCQ#D163, REMLR#538
1989 Perentie GS MC2 6x6 ARN 50 746 own since 2016
1989 Perentie GS MC2 winch 4x4 ARN 48 929, 2015-2016

Offline ECN405

• THANKS 4
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 08:48:41 PM »
it would be very cool to get one, get inside if you can to poke around. I just had another look at the pics, the mast is there on some of the units if you look carefully, I think that a CSA came only with one mast and RRA with two. There should be green kit bags that have all the guys and pegs there too. The pump up mast is the same as whats in my picture above. With a bit of redecorating you could make something of it. One thing with the RRA one is the awning that lifts up, that lifts fully up as the tech would stand next to the gear facing you and the awning above would protect you from the elements, then there is a blackout curtain that goes around it, so dont write off the RRA units either. I'd like to get one, but I have an FFR.

There is little info to be found on this stuff in general, this guy has some info on his blog:
https://andrew.london/parakeet/

Although BAE have their name all over it, I recall Tadiran Communications having a part in the radios etc, dont think they exist now.