Author Topic: DetV's Shed  (Read 8028 times)

Offline DetV

• THANKS 15
Re: DetV's Shed
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2018, 10:49:20 PM »
Today's Project - Water Bladder in FFR Radio Stand
A few days ago I took the plunge and ordered a 100 Litre Rectangle Plastimo Water Tank. The postie delivered it this morning so today's challenge was to work out how I can plumb this bladder into the FFR radio support box.  Well, after a lot of mucking around and reviewing numerous options, I found an orientation of the bladder which will allow its installation. The key issue is to be able to locate the inlet and outlet in a clear panel. The only orientation which works in the FFR is with the inlet near centre of the box and the outlet approx 15cm from the back and 15cm from the driver side. Once I verified that it could be fitted, it was time to visit my favourite plumbing supplier to get the bits I will need to connect the bladder to a filler inlet and a tap on the rear.

The inlet and outlet of this bladder both need 57mm holes - so I ran down to Bunnings for a 57mm hole saw.
The team at Southern Plumbing accepted my challenge to help me work out what plumbing bits and pieces I could use to achieve my goal.

Following the hole drilling and assembly I tested the setup by inflating the bladder with a high volume air pump. With a few PSI in the bladder my detergent dipped paintbrush failed to identify any leaks. So, it was time to fill it with water. Initially I filled through the 25mm filler hose, however, the air which I previously pumped into the bladder came out in massive gulps. I changed the approach and completed the filling through the outlet tap allowing all the air out without conflicting with water.

The box dimensions are approx 90cm x 55cm x 22cm, that is approx 108 litres. This bladder lies flat at 107cm x 70cm and inflates to 25cm high. Not too bad a fit.  Considering the framework and other obstructions inside the box, I am hopeful of filling the bladder to near 80 litres. Anyhow, even if I only get 60 litres in there it will be a bonus.

[edit 15/10/18] Filled the bladder through the outlet tap until water spilled out through the breather tube. Then emptied the bladder through the outlet tap and measured 65 litres. Happy with that.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 11:20:41 PM by DetV »
FFR MC2 "Spence" 51-490 , Haulmark 3/4ton 204973
civvy: 98 Prado, 7x4 gal trailer, FRJ1300, MX-5
de VK2KVP

Offline DetV

• THANKS 15
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2019, 11:30:38 PM »
Latest enhancement to my version of the LRCV. Repurposed our 30 year old latex mattress. Used the 3" foam core and one 2" latex foam layer packaged in some tan canvas to make 3 mattress pillows on top of the storage boxes in the back of the FFR - super comfy.
de VK2KVP

Offline Philthy

• THANKS 71
  • REMLR No: 425
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2019, 11:24:49 AM »
Looking good.

Offline DetV

• THANKS 15
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2019, 04:28:58 PM »
Oh well! The water bladder sprung a leak. After filling the bladder before the last trip to the Flinders Ranges there was a bit of a gush of water from underside of the vehicle. I assumed that the bladder had sprung a leak - it continued to dribble out from underneath for most of the 3 week trip, but still providing a dribble out of the tap - enough to brush teeth or rinse the hands.

After several trips now with running water from the tap at the back of the vehicle I have come to really enjoy the water bladder, so I decided to repair the bladder and improve the holding capacity of the radio accessories storage box in which it was installed.

The plan was to remove the box and its frame from behind the bulkhead, line the area with some unicell foam which was left over from the shed insulation exercise and reinstall the box with the bladder nicely protected inside. The absence of the frame should allow the bladder to inflate as it was designed, without being creased and constrained by the frame.

Once we got the box off, it was obvious that the top of the frame would be beneficial to provide support and negate the need to install some aluminium channel. So we simply removed the frame legs and left the top of the frame. Alter I finish polishing the sharp edges, I will line the bulkhead, sides and floor with the insulation foam, plus do same to the box and around the remaining frame section before re-installing the repaired bladder and box. Below is how the frame looks now with legs removed.
de VK2KVP