Author Topic: Introducing myself.  (Read 149 times)

Offline krmoyle76

• THANKS 2
  • A true Land Rover tragic.
Introducing myself.
« on: February 04, 2018, 03:24:25 AM »
Hi to all REMLR forum members and thank you to the many contributors and volunteers who work on the wealth on information I have found throughout the REMLR site.

I found myself the owner of a Land Rover about mid last year (2017) by a happy coincidence. I purchased a project Series 2A 109 civilian utility thinking it would be a good off-road and camping vehicle. I am now the owner of 7 Land Rovers, 2 of which are military vehicles and a No.5 trailer. And what is worse (or better, it's hard to tell) is that the fleet seems to be growing. Every month I seem to come across another Land Rover that needs saving from the scrap man. Most of these vehicles are too far gone for repair or restoration, but a couple will be salvaged and completely restored as time allows. The ones which aren't are to serve as donor vehicles for the others.

A few months after purchasing my first Landy I was contacted by a mate who simply said "I have found a Landy with your name written all over it". So after an afternoon trip and a test drive I agreed to buy a 1969 Series 2A FFT from "kman" ARN :- 175-221. I have done some miles in it now and have taken if for a little weekend bush run and absolutely love it. Along with this, I bought a No.5 trailer which came with the complete service book and had an ARN :- 101-364. Yes it's one of the "Radar Chronograph set, trailer mounted, 1/2 ton" trailers. It finished it's time as a typical No.5 at 51st in Mt Isa in 2014 and was sold off at a Frontline auction. Both the vehicle and trailer are in great condition, I drive them regularly and love every minute of it.

3 weeks ago, in my current "Land Rover tragic" style, I came across another "farm bomb" Landy sitting in a paddock overgrown with grass. I called to see the owner about it and he simply told me "If you don't take it away, when I get sick of slashing around it I'll push it in the creek". I drove the 2A down for a closer look and noticed a familiar site. Square cut mudguards. I climbed through the grass and pulled open the passenger door. After cleaning the bit of crud off the ID tag next to the map light panel I read "Topographical Survey" on the plate. As yet I haven't had the time to do a thorough research of the vehicle numbers but as soon as I do work will begin on planning the resto. It is in poor shape, but  having the fleet of parts at my disposal I'm pretty sure I'll have what I need to resurrect an uncommon machine from the grave.

I look forward to spending more time on the forums and absorbing as much information as I can about Landy's and their military service variants.

Cheers

Ken

Offline THE BOOGER

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 138
  • REMLR No: 282
Re: Introducing myself.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 06:34:35 AM »
Welcome to the forum Ken we are all tragics here just to different levels:)
geoff c

Offline AGAS 5

• THANKS 244
  • REMLR No: 218
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 08:33:55 AM »
Hi Ken & welcome. It would be great to see some photos when you can.

Cheers.
Series 2A SWB 113-300 VTF
Perentie GS 50087

Offline kman

• THANKS 23
  • REMLR No: 278
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 04:25:59 PM »
Glad to hear all is good Ken.

Howard
Series 2a FFT
Ferret Mk 1/2