Author Topic: 112-655  (Read 2977 times)

Online DennisM

• THANKS 248
  • REMLR No: 70
112-655
« on: January 27, 2018, 07:21:44 PM »
I had this little gem out for a run yesterday 26th Jan, I took on some of the quiet roads around the district (LOL if there are any what with the terrorists from sydney getting to the vineyards) anyway I ignored them sitting on my arse as I was puttering along at 45mph, I covered some 30 kilometers and got off it at home walking like a half shut pocket knife as it rides like a dray with no suspension.
I had a long yarn with Numpty this morning 27th Jan re the logistics of carrying gear to sustain one's self for approx 10 days and as some of us know there isn't a great deal of creature comforts in a G/buggy, I asked about food storage/wet weather protection (overnight camps) cooking gear and eskies as I have 2 Engel fridges but I don't like the idea of them sitting in the footwell LHS and possibly it falls out, anyway after talking with Perry for almost 30 minutes, I bit the bullet and took to the rear suspension.
It was very warm here today 37c it has been hotter and I'm sure it was hotter in other places, but with some determination I set about the task of removing the springs, jack it up, body stands in place on the chassis in front of the rear spring front mount, in around 50 minutes I had both sets on the ground, but not without a few drama's, I used my MAPP gas torch on the U bolt nuts (7/16"BSF) as they were frozen, but with some heat and using a breaker bar and my Chicago Pneumatics rattle gun and the 42CFM compressor running they didn't stand a chance, realistically, I expected them to snap off

my next door neighbour yelled out at me, to tell me he was going to Sydney for a week, great I thought I will park my 110 in his carport and that way I can work on the springs in the shade of the house carport, ripper..
The center bolt nut looked as thought it had been hammered to stop the nut coming off, so some judicous work with a slim taper triangular file I soon had it round again, and using a single hex socket and the breaker bar it soon came loose, but it wouldn't come off, so I re-tightened it, got a sharp chisel and split it

this revealed a rather sad looking center bolt, so into my stock of steel, selected a length of 5/8" (0.625") dia bar, into the lathe and away we went

the breeze coming in through the shed door was 1st class, as I had stripped down my sweaty clothes and put on a full boiler suit (overalls) crikey were they hot, but I had to have them on as I was going to use a cup wire brush and a flap sander on the springs, it took me approx 20 minutes to make a new center bolt

then I took to the springs cleaning all the rust scale n dirt off them, they were then greased and re-assembled, the RHS is now complete, and I had faced off the 4 x 3/8"Whitworth bolts that hold the clamps together, they had been cut off with a axe I'm sure talk about bloody rough as, in this image those 4 bolts are laying on the concrete,

well that's been my day, I think I will fit the RHS spring to the chassis before starting on the LHS one tomorrow, hopefully this might mean that I can drive this vehicle the roughly 1600K's to n fro Corowa, as we need to get as many gunbuggies there as is possible, added to the issue of riding like a dray, as a result of my 50 year career in nursing it has left me with some scars, these days I can only drive for approx 90 minutes then I get severe pain in my left hip which radiates down my left leg, it is a killer, the only relief is Mersyndol, anyway we will see, cheers Dennis aka grumpy
ps and while all this is happening my 5" gauge live steam loco/tender sit around doing nuthin
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 07:56:36 PM by DennisM »

Offline Mick

• Veteran
  • THANKS 155
Re: 112-655
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 08:30:55 PM »
Good on ya Dennis ,

Ya grumpy old bastard LOL !!!!

Looking forward to catching up with you.

Cheers mate,

Mick

Offline dugite

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 98
  • REMLR No: 374
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 08:31:52 PM »
I had this little gem out for a run yesterday 26th Jan,

I can only drive for approx 90 minutes then I get severe pain in my left hip which radiates down my left leg, it is a killer, the only relief is Mersyndol, anyway we will see, cheers Dennis aka grumpy

Sorry to hear that mate, but I do hope that your set of LRs help you feel less grumpy :)

thanks for sharing your Corowa prep
2a 109 114-341,
No.5 173-589,
W/S Platform 178-000,
PT1 204-796

Offline Philthy

• THANKS 71
  • REMLR No: 425
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 08:37:30 PM »
Ha

I have visions of you doing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukTjY9qj0Wo

;D

Offline Richard Farrant

• THANKS 36
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 09:09:09 PM »
Ha

I have visions of you doing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukTjY9qj0Wo

;D

The heater in that Land Rover is a definite improvement on the original ones !!
KVE President & Editor
AMVCS newsletter editor
1943 Bedford QLD
1943 Daimler Scout Car

Online DennisM

• THANKS 248
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 09:03:28 AM »
LOL I had viewed that clip before and commented that he should have a fireman to look after the fire/water levels, I reckon it would be more distracting than a mobile phone.
Back to the task at hand, I was up n out early this morning the RHS spring assembly is now back up in place, I found a strange anomoly on one of the U bolts one side was 7/16"BSF the other 7/16"Whitworth LOL the other U bolt was BSF on both ends, and I will have to make another center bolt, well bludge/cup of tea over, so back into the dirty side of things now cheers Dennis
ps Mick, Numpty is up at Guyra for the festival, a mate ( yes I have a few mates LOL) spotted the mil vehicles and especially the Gunbuggies x 2 he wandered over started talking he soon found out that Perry n I had been talking on the phone earlier in the day, but one thing they agreed on was that "I am a grumpy old bugger" LOL sods well at least my reputation stands,,.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 04:45:54 PM by DennisM »

Online DennisM

• THANKS 248
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 02:57:40 PM »
Well, after going as fast as I could (well I am nearly 69 LOL) the RHS spring was in place before 0800hrs, after a cup of tea with the wife it was full on again, the left spring center bolt was U/S so a new had to be made

and 20 minutes later

then it was time to get down n get dirty, as the springs certainly had some crud on them

after cleaning the crud off them, they were greased and re-assembled, lifted back into place on my H/duty trolley jack, a quick jiggle with the diff/housing and all was lined up, U bolts threads cleaned all were 7/16"BSF, all bolts in place jack the vehicle up remove stands down on the ground, get in jump up n down, well it does move smoothly, I took it for a test run it is smoother, not as harsh, maybe I might sway a set cushion out of another vehicle for the trip, but after looking at my emails to my surprise 112-655 is center stage on th front cover of KVE, so now it looks like I have to drive it

I had better get some spares sorted, cheers Dennis

Offline Richard Farrant

• THANKS 36
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 09:45:14 PM »
Hi Dennis,
I was not sure whose Gun Buggy that was. Found the photo on Google images and like the setting. No pressure, but it will be good to see it at Corowa.

cheers
Richard
KVE President & Editor
AMVCS newsletter editor
1943 Bedford QLD
1943 Daimler Scout Car

Online DennisM

• THANKS 248
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 12:49:00 PM »
Well I have been a bit busy at times over the past week depending on the weather, that has been a real mixture of cold days wet overnight then stinking hot again, I'm sure the older you get the worse the weather seems to be, anyway I managed to fabricate what I wanted, to carry a spare wheel on the back.
I purchased a 2 meter length of 75 x 6 flat bar, I had an idea in my mind so there were no drawings needed, just drill a 3/8" hole in the middle of the bar, set up the Oxy/acetylene to heat n bend it to the desired angle, then into the band saw to cut it off cleanly

repeat the same operations then offer them up to the job to check it's all in line with your plan in your head LOL

next step was to grind the ends at a small angle on both ends, then measure n cut to make it join up neatly, out with the electric welder
as the wind was blowing no point in wasting the Argo gas in the Mig, tack together and check again

I had a short length of 12mm threaded rod and a selection of nuts to suit ( I had this as I make my own draw bars for my small mill) it worked out well, after marking the holes I tapped them 12 x 1.50, image is blurred ?? how I did that LOL

the 2 rods were screwed in and welded on the back, then I dug out a short length of soft wood drilled the holes to clear the threaded rod
and slid the wood over them, this was long enough for the tyre to come up against and pull up tight

and from the rear mounted

I was still improving my idea as I went along, I wanted to utilise the original turnbuckle clamps, so I cut off 4 chain links until I had 2 links,
a couple of short bits of 3/4" round bar tapped 3/8"UNF into a blind hole, then ground flats on the chain links to make welding easier

a quick spray with etch primer n flat black and job done

and my G/daughter helping n hindering t every opportunity LOL

I bought a new ratchet strap and soon found the best way to secure it, I also made a small plate to bolt onto the rear X member
just in case I do get a flat tyre, this will help stop it from wanting to go rearwards

and on it's shakedown run no issues, so I stopped near where I took an image of it way back in 2003, almost the same spot as it was in the latest KVE news letter,

anyway fingers XXXXX'd etc that we all have a issue free run down n back cheers Dennis
ps I forgot to add, I have 20psi in the front tyres and 18psi in the rear, the ride is much softer and I have swapped the seat cushion as well for one with a tad more padding,,.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 12:54:54 PM by DennisM »

Offline Welby

• THANKS 32
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 11:19:45 AM »
Some great looking country to wander in ...

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 52
  • REMLR No: 482
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 12:44:12 PM »
Hi Dennis - great idea!

I migh have some auscam canvas I could stitch into strap covers for the rear to hide the bright straps securing your rear spare.  Much the same as the front seat belt canvas cover lower protectors on perente land rovers.  Let me have the dimensions and a bit of time and I will see what happens,   or    I'd be happy to send you the canvas and you could get it made up locally?  I also have some remnants of the later pattern camoflague canvas if you prefer, the same as the perente seat belt protectors.

Let me know your thoughts?   :D

Frank 

Online DennisM

• THANKS 248
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 08:28:24 AM »
Frank, I thank you for your offer, but the strap is only a temporary solution for the carriage of the spare on this trip, I had thought about painting the strap Olive Drab but wasn't sure what the paint might/might not do to it, again many thanks for your generous offer though cheers Dennis

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 52
  • REMLR No: 482
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 01:29:22 PM »
Thanks for the reply Dennis - No worries at all     :)   Cheers

Frank

Online DennisM

• THANKS 248
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2018, 03:49:01 PM »
Well I'm all packed and ready to roll, I did a trial fit and dry run overnight camp a week ago

everything worked as it was intended, so through the week I continued doing what was needed
and wishing the day had come n gone as I hate waiting for anything, anyway as I said it's all packed

I just hope it's fine weather I do have wet weather gear, but driving in an open vehicle is no fun when it's
pouring rain, I'm now just waiting on a call from Numpty (Perry Stedman) as to when they (himself and a group from Qld) have arrived in Muswellbrook, then I will hit the road and we will meet up at Milbrodale and proceed to Shorties place @ Colo heights for my first and the other groups 2nd night on the road, I just hope we all have an issue free trip, cheers Dennis

Offline Mick

• Veteran
  • THANKS 155
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2018, 04:41:38 PM »
Good luck mate,

Hope the weather is good to you.

Safe travels.

Mick