Author Topic: Mechanical Issues to watch out for when buying new Perentie straight from AFM.  (Read 10236 times)

Offline meakesey99

• THANKS 0
Hey guys, subject says it all! hoping to buy my first perentie straight from the Australia Frontline Machinery Auction. Whilst im not planning on touring australia, but rather cruizing up and down the coast with it, id still want to avoid forking out a whole bunch as soon as i buy it to make it roadworthy. Are there any common faults/ mechanical issues with them straight from the auction? is it a bit of a gamble? any way of avoiding this? Or should i just bring a mechanic or study the service history? Thankyou! Nick

Offline BEARMAN

• THANKS 114
  • REMLR No: 430
Anything is a gamble from auction as you cannot drive them. Best to get someone who knows what they are looking at to check it out for you. The boys at KLR do it and have a good reputation. Also Barefoot Dave's buyers guide is money well spent. He is ex service with a lot of experience on 110's and has put together a buyers guide at a very reasonable price. 
09/1998 Perentie 6X6 ARN202516 - BRUTUS

Offline AGAS 5

• THANKS 260
  • REMLR No: 218
Hey guys, subject says it all! hoping to buy my first perentie straight from the Australia Frontline Machinery Auction. Whilst im not planning on touring australia, but rather cruizing up and down the coast with it, id still want to avoid forking out a whole bunch as soon as i buy it to make it roadworthy. Are there any common faults/ mechanical issues with them straight from the auction? is it a bit of a gamble? any way of avoiding this? Or should i just bring a mechanic or study the service history? Thankyou! Nick

If you buy from the minto auction they come with a NSW roadworthy...
Series 2A SWB 113-300 VTF  6 RAR
Perentie FFR 49-390  1 MP BN
Perentie GS 50-087  5 RAR

Offline Acco 4x4

• THANKS 5
Why does every one think the sun shines out KLR's ass?

Offline THE BOOGER

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 148
  • REMLR No: 282
They are one of a few who do inspections and to date there has been no reported problems with them. Do you know something we dont pm me if there is a problem I havent used them myself dont own a perentie :)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 05:15:50 PM by THE BOOGER »
s111 GS, no 5, xt600 & Ferret mk2
Geoff C

Offline FFRMAN

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 211
  • REMLR No: 314

Because they are honest and do a good job, I guess that helps........ doesn't mean others aren't or can't, just don't know who they would be
Lots...............
VMVC 251,

Offline kman

• THANKS 31
  • REMLR No: 278

Which means bugger all about mechanical condition and possibly even roadworthiness judging from some posts about faults found...
Ferret Mk 1/2
MUTT M151A2
No 5 Trailer, RAAF Tactical Trailer

Offline Acco 4x4

• THANKS 5

Because they are honest and do a good job, I guess that helps........ doesn't mean others aren't or can't, just don't know who they would be

This is VERY upsetting to think this is the general opinion of the Land Rover community!  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline BEARMAN

• THANKS 114
  • REMLR No: 430

This is VERY upsetting to think this is the general opinion of the Land Rover community!  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Please explain.

09/1998 Perentie 6X6 ARN202516 - BRUTUS

Offline Acco 4x4

• THANKS 5
Look,
Landrovers are like Valiants........an acquired taste! It makes things hard for an owner if they are not mechanically savvy and few work shops out there want to know about perentie's etc. So when one place does actually take a little interest, people flock to them and get all excited over it. The problem lays with the uneducated.. Now please DO NOT think this as any kind of insult as it is no different to myself knowing about say... biology or something like that... Its like if i go to the doctor and he says i have say, an iron deficiency, i just have to take his word for it and do as recommended. I just dont see good value for my hard earned dollar... Anyway this is how I see it and this is only my opinion and maybe the same opinion shared by others in the know....   

Offline AGAS 5

• THANKS 260

Which means bugger all about mechanical condition and possibly even roadworthiness judging from some posts about faults found...

Lots of sad arses around today...   

Offline AGAS 5

• THANKS 260
Look,
Landrovers are like Valiants........an acquired taste! It makes things hard for an owner if they are not mechanically savvy and few work shops out there want to know about perentie's etc. So when one place does actually take a little interest, people flock to them and get all excited over it. The problem lays with the uneducated.. Now please DO NOT think this as any kind of insult as it is no different to myself knowing about say... biology or something like that... Its like if i go to the doctor and he says i have say, an iron deficiency, i just have to take his word for it and do as recommended. I just dont see good value for my hard earned dollar... Anyway this is how I see it and this is only my opinion and maybe the same opinion shared by others in the know....   

That makes two....

Offline Rob6x6

• THANKS 8
I reckon, there a good mob.  No work carried out on my gear, however full of knowledge whenever I have called them.  Dedicated blokes.  Just my two bobs worth.
Cheers, Rob

Offline kman

• THANKS 31
  • REMLR No: 278

Lots of sad arses around today...

Maybe, but it is the truth. The certificate is not a check of all the things you need to know before you buy and there are proven instances of vehicles at these auctions being unsafe for the road even though a certificate has been issued. My point, sad arse or not, is that a buyer is ipunwise to depend on the certificate when making a buying decision.
Ferret Mk 1/2
MUTT M151A2
No 5 Trailer, RAAF Tactical Trailer

Offline dugite

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 103
  • REMLR No: 374
IME you are correct on this matter kman and people need to be aware :) - maybe that makes me one of the sa club
2a 109 114-341,
No.5 173-589,
W/S Platform 178-000,
PT1 204-796