Author Topic: clutch aligning tool  (Read 2502 times)

Offline Ford Blitz

• THANKS 15
clutch aligning tool
« on: January 15, 2018, 03:38:19 PM »
I have to change out the clutch on my RFSV. Looking for an aligning tool. Any recommendations on type and where i might find one?
 ???

Offline Dervish

• THANKS 59
  • REMLR No: 403
Re: clutch aligning tool
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 07:18:49 PM »
Call up a LR wrecker and ask for an LT95 input shaft, if you ask nicely they might even cut it for you.

Offline Ford Blitz

• THANKS 15
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 03:34:55 PM »
found one cost me $5
Thanks

Offline 303Gunner

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 128
  • REMLR No: 128
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 04:37:58 PM »
There's a lot around with the 10spline x 28.6mm size (eg Toyota and GM), but the spigot bearing size is the tricky part. Most of them (eg Toyota and GM!) will have a 15mm spigot, but the Perentie needs a 19mm spigot. Some of the "Universal" type kits with the cone shaped bush will have various adapters for different spigot sizes, but it can be pricey to buy a whole kit just for one vehicle.

If you buy the "Nissan pressure plate" Heavy Duty clutch kit (KLR28003-1AX), you get a Perentie-specific aligning tool included in the kit. The Exedy clutch kits (RVK_6867, -6867HD etc), although being a complete kit, don't include the aligning tool. Find someone who has fitted the KLR clutch, and borrow or buy the aligning tool.

For $5 though, you've done well.

Offline Ford Blitz

• THANKS 15
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 12:05:53 PM »
KLR must have changed their kit as mine did not come with the aligning tool.

Offline fc101

• THANKS 55
  • REMLR No: 243
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 01:29:37 PM »
Just make one out of a bit of dowl or metal rod and wrap electrical tape around until you get the thickness you need.

I made one nearly 40 years ago and still have it - the rod is the handle of a wrecked socket ratchet - used on a lot of engines starting with a series 3 2.25, a subaru, Jag V12, rover 3.5 V8, haflinger and only last year a Rover 4.6V8 - never had an issue and works great.

Cost basically nothing except for new tape every now and then and when doing an engine.

Garry

Offline Ford Blitz

• THANKS 15
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 07:12:28 PM »
yes I use to cut the end off a broom handle to do the aligning on clutches but my wife got jack of that so for this one I thought I would see if there was something better out there. For $5 I dont think I can go wrong and it will keep the peace.

Offline Philthy

• THANKS 71
  • REMLR No: 425
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 08:22:57 PM »
I used the tape method works a treat.

But I used a machine thread m19 bolt the right length (8" maybe). Perfect fit and solid and costs about $4.oo.

Take the bearing with you to a bolt store to be sure of the size with the length in mind.