Author Topic: Hi Everybody  (Read 2768 times)

Offline BavarianLad

• THANKS 0
Hi Everybody
« on: January 08, 2018, 08:24:38 PM »
I’m glad to join the remlr community, with my new pride and joy a Defender TD5.

I’ve been driving Defender for over 10 years, but this is my first ex army vehicle.

First I was looking for a Perentie (Ilike the canvas), but it wasn’t possible to get any rear seats approved (not in WA). The TD5 already got the approval with the 6 bench seats in the back. Really a great vehicle to get all my mates out.

But I still want to change the hard top into a soft top with the roll bars.
I’ve already done it with a civilian Defender in Germany, it’s very easy to change. I’ve done it seasonally (as I still wanted a hard top in the frost season).
Does anyone know where I can get the roll bars, header rail and all the other necessary stuff in WA? Maybe a specialized wrecking yard in Perth? Or someone who build a hard top on it’s Perentie and got no use for the soft top gear?

Offline BavarianLad

• THANKS 0
Re: Hi Everybody
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 08:27:11 PM »
That's the one :)

Offline Marlin

• THANKS 10
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 09:03:49 PM »
Hi and Welcome. There are a lot of people looking to convert their soft tops into hard tops, so someone may well want to swap the parts with you.

A problem you may encounter though is that your vehicle has rear seating approval as a hard top. You say you cannot get a soft top approved in WA, so if you did the conversion it would render your car un roadworthy.

Offline Mick_Marsh

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 110
  • REMLR No: 310
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 09:33:55 PM »
You bring up an interesting point, Marlin.
Would you require engineering to convert from a hard top to a soft top? I would suggest, yes.
Would that then mean engineering is required when converting from soft top to hard top?

The other thing to consider is, if the conversion is done with factory bolt on bits, if I remember right, it shouldn't need engineering. Therefore the answer to those two questions is no.

Maybe a discussion for another thread.
REMLR # 310, MVCA # 364, 101 Club # 2188, MHG #101
29-417 101 GS, 30-248 101 Rapier Tractor. 30-238 101
34-597 Crump & Cornish 1 ton Cargo Trailer
RT21 RAAF Track Tactical Trailer, 234-671 RAAF Track Tactical Trailer

Offline 303Gunner

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 128
  • REMLR No: 128
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 10:30:12 PM »
Would you require engineering to convert from a hard top to a soft top? I would suggest, yes.
Would that then mean engineering is required when converting from soft top to hard top?

The other thing to consider is, if the conversion is done with factory bolt on bits, if I remember right, it shouldn't need engineering. Therefore the answer to those two questions is no.

As discussed already in another thread, Perentie rear seat approval, and discussing this particular vehicle:

This WA licenced TD5 Remediation vehicle (with a later compliance date than ANY Perentie model) has sideways facing rear seats. Yes, it does have a hard roof, but I think the factory-engineered seatbelt mounts are what sees it through. I think Bavarian Lad needs to consult an Engineer to see what needs to be done to the Perentie to match the Defender seat belt mounting points.

Or maybe this is the vehicle you need to buy instead of a Perentie? And then consult the Engineer about removing the hard roof and fitting a Perentie ROPS and Canopy?

Offline Mick_Marsh

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 110
  • REMLR No: 310
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 08:55:05 AM »

As discussed already in another thread, Perentie rear seat approval, and discussing this particular vehicle:

This WA licenced TD5 Remediation vehicle (with a later compliance date than ANY Perentie model) has sideways facing rear seats. Yes, it does have a hard roof, but I think the factory-engineered seatbelt mounts are what sees it through. I think Bavarian Lad needs to consult an Engineer to see what needs to be done to the Perentie to match the Defender seat belt mounting points.

Or maybe this is the vehicle you need to buy instead of a Perentie? And then consult the Engineer about removing the hard roof and fitting a Perentie ROPS and Canopy?
Doesn't mention anything about removing roof, converting hard top to soft top or converting soft top to hard top. Only talks about seat belts on side mounted seats.
REMLR # 310, MVCA # 364, 101 Club # 2188, MHG #101
29-417 101 GS, 30-248 101 Rapier Tractor. 30-238 101
34-597 Crump & Cornish 1 ton Cargo Trailer
RT21 RAAF Track Tactical Trailer, 234-671 RAAF Track Tactical Trailer

Offline AGAS 5

• THANKS 260
  • REMLR No: 218
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 12:03:37 PM »
That's the one :)

Welcome to the REMLR forum. Nice TD5 :)

Cheers
Series 2A SWB 113-300 VTF  6 RAR
Perentie FFR 49-390  1 MP BN
Perentie GS 50-087  5 RAR

Offline David

• THANKS 19
  • REMLR No: 478
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 12:52:14 PM »
IN WA I believe you need to complete a form VSB14 if you intend to do ANY modifications to among other things vehicle body or occupant protection, technically this would include adding or removing a hard top that came with the vehicle or adding ROPS.  I think the Department of Transport then decide and advise what is required in the way of engineering etc.  The jeep wrangler convertibles are registered so it isn't an impossible ask but good luck.
Land Rover Perentie RFSV 50.417

Offline BavarianLad

• THANKS 0
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 01:28:35 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Yeah I know, I already opened the topic “rear seat approval”. That was when I was looking for a Perentie soft top, having back seats. Now I’ve got this 8 seater and I,m still mad for a convertible Defender. Obviously I need to go the other way around now.

I know there are soft top Defenders with only the hoop sticks, no roll bars. Land Rover supplies it. After mounting the hard top off, you can slide them into the pre manufactured holes.
They obviously not too dangerous if you bump your head on them, but definitely would like to be somewhere else when the whole thing rolls.
There are also some roll cage options for the civilian Defenders on the market (Britpart,…), I’m sure they come with a certificate.
But I definitely would prefer the army version.

I will seek engineering advice first and see how that goes. Try not to bother the department of transport (not a fan dealing with them).