Author Topic: Pilbra Regiment Tac Sign Info' needed  (Read 4093 times)

Offline Hell-Fire

• THANKS 8
Pilbra Regiment Tac Sign Info' needed
« on: December 26, 2017, 06:22:52 PM »
Hi all,

New member looking for photos of Pilbra regiment Tac signs if anyone can help please.
John in Central Victoria
1991 EX Pilbara Regiment RFSV ARN 51-736
1985 Suzuki DR250 ARN 42-454
1942 Willys MB

Offline David

• THANKS 19
  • REMLR No: 478
Re: Pilbra Regiment Tac Sign Info' needed
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 08:14:00 PM »
I didn't think they used TAC plates but would like someone to tell me I am wrong as I also have a Pilbara RFSV and would like a TAC plate.
I was thinking I might make a fake one up from the Pilbara regiment Logo of an emu in front of crossed rifles.
I understood the Pilbara regiment didn't own their own vehicles, they were loaned from Joint Logistics Unit west so would have the Loan Register stencil being LR above JLU-W

Land Rover Perentie RFSV 50.417

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
  • REMLR No: 007
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 09:03:50 PM »
14 or so PR-RFSVs had LR markings at auction by my count.
Nil markings on the others. The tacs would be all but redundant at the rear anyway - double jerry holder, double wheel bracket.

A PR-FFR (arn 50-435) had markings..

Offline Welby

• THANKS 33
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 01:05:27 PM »
No Tac signs on the Pilbara RFSV's.

Sorry to correct you David , Pilbara certainly 'owned' her own vehicles with rotations out of JLU W on an as required or replacement basis.

Offline David

• THANKS 19
  • REMLR No: 478
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 03:20:19 PM »
thanks Welby, I must have misunderstood someone.  cheers
Land Rover Perentie RFSV 50.417

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 65
  • REMLR No: 482
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 04:44:14 PM »
Hi Welby - by way of further discussion on this topic, do you have any information or in service photographs on 51 594 - currently residing in the east?    ;D     

Any information respectfully sought and gratefully received

Frank

Offline Welby

• THANKS 33
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 09:33:27 PM »
I'll have a look Frank, but its not a number that comes to mind.

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 65
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 07:27:57 PM »
Thanks Welby - has the name "Alcimides" on the guards, both sides.  The impressive facts about the vehicle were that it was in such condition that someone had taken great care with all of the attached CES and general cpndition and paintwork, and mechanically it was perfect, even the top of the fuel tanks were clean as if properly hosed off after every use.  The rear lockers were very clean and well laid out.  The condition was the same condition I would keep a vehicle in if I was the personal owner.  The roadworthy tester in Victoria I went to made numerous comments about the high standard and value of the vehicle.   The professional pride the ADF personnel had in the keeping of the vehicle suggested a unit based vehicle to me, compared to my other vehicles which appeared far less loved. 

I hate it when the log book is not provided!   :'(   

Cheers mate - anything gratefully received.

Frank

Offline Welby

• THANKS 33
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 03:54:48 PM »
I might bust your bubble here with that info Frank.

Alcimides is from the Odyssey of Homer.  As an A letter , it is probably from A Troop, 10 Light Horse.

10 Light Horse is based at Irwin Barracks Karrakatta.

Tracing its lineage back to 1900, it predecessor units served during the Second Boer War and the First World War.

Today the unit consists of only a single squadron, A Squadron. It is a Reserve unit, and is part of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps.

The squadron is attached to the 13th Brigade and is based in Western Australia, where it operates Land Rover Regional Force Surveillance Vehicles (RFSV) and 6x6 Interim Infantry Mobility Vehicles (IIMV) in the light cavalry and reconnaissance roles.

In the last thirty years I've seen them transition from m113 apc's through aslav's to RFSV's.

They obtained a couple of old style RFSV's as light scout vehicle's before the 'great tenix rebuild'. The rotation of RFSV's out of Pilbara to the Tenix Workshop in Perth was handled via JLU W.

So i'm guessing, through my crystal ball, that your Log Book, if found, should read Pilbara, JLU W, Major rebuild, JLU W, 10 LH.

I'm not sure if you have any attachment to the Pilbara, or the fact that your RFSV in Pilbara Pink camo lent the assumption it was ex Pilbara, but you are obviously a very happy buyer and custodian and you have a very clean unit.

The lack of evidence of hard use also lends itself to a non Pilbara , post rebuild, unit.

Best wishes with her. Lucky Bugger !

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 65
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 05:36:55 PM »
Welby - Thanks mate - love your work!  It is what it is - and you are right,  I am very happy with the beast!  She's actually a 3600kg unit with 3 seats stamped on the compliance plate - have had a few interesting conversations with authority over this and walk away smiling every time!

Cheers  Frank 

Offline Hell-Fire

• THANKS 8
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 02:58:30 PM »
Sorry for my late response as I am not getting notifications if a reply is made to a post.

I was curious if Tac signs were used and I will look into having some stickers made up anyway with the unit bade on them.

My Vehicle like Franks appears to be in great condition but mine has very little CES, it does have the JLU-W stenciled front and rear, it has its last Tech Inspection and major service on the 14 October last year and has done next to no K's since has a few entries from Pilbra Regt as well.

I am finding this forum very helpful especially from Welby, thanks Mark you have been a great help.
John in Central Victoria
1991 EX Pilbara Regiment RFSV ARN 51-736
1985 Suzuki DR250 ARN 42-454
1942 Willys MB

Offline Welby

• THANKS 33
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 11:32:05 AM »
My pleasure.
Just to reiterate, no tac signs where used by the Pilbara RFSV's or FFR's.