Author Topic: New Adelaide Member  (Read 8421 times)

Offline Twisty

• THANKS 0
New Adelaide Member
« on: December 16, 2017, 09:36:56 AM »
G'Day all,

After years of wanting a defender, I've finally managed to get one! Albeit, an ex army one.

Picked it up at the Melbourne auction yesterday. Plan is for a quick service, then drive it over to Adelaide.

Cheers,

Offline Notlongnow

• THANKS 5
Re: New Adelaide Member
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 11:12:05 AM »
It looks neat, Twisty, no 'albeit' an army one, lots think they were the best Land Rovers ever built.

Have fun!

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
  • REMLR No: 007
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 03:43:08 PM »
I'll second that motion re. "Best ever" and welcome. When I got my FFR home we discovered the A frame balljoint had no nut on it. That was sep 2014 and yes it had the roadworthy certificate.

Also you have mastered the photo function straight off and it shows a pair of mast supports on the jerry brackets -bonus! Any gear in the lockers?

Offline FFRMAN

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 211
  • REMLR No: 314
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 11:35:17 PM »
Yeah those aerial mast bases the bolts will wear out your jerry cans I'd take them off

Cheers
Lots...............
VMVC 251,

Offline Twisty

• THANKS 0
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 10:14:43 AM »
Any gear in the lockers?

It came with a tool roll, a few spare bulbs, bottle jack, 4 dead batteries ::), and some safety triangles.

I managed to clean the rust off the tools, i'm pretty happy with the results.

Before:

After:

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
  • REMLR No: 007
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 12:06:38 PM »
Tools are ok, the batts flatten in storage, common thing, at least they haven't leaked everywhere. My batt trays needed a sandblast and painting etc.

Offline Twisty

• THANKS 0
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 02:14:40 PM »
Finally managed to get the vehicle registered this week. Its always comforting when Vehicle Standards Australia contradict the inspectors...  :-\

I'm looking for a way to secure items/valuables when I'm not in the vehicle; I came across this safe from Front Runner.

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/au/front-runner-under-console-safe-land-rover-defender.html

Anyone fitted one of these? The dimensions they give aren't very specific. Alternatively anyone know if the hole already there was modified in any way for the steyr rack? Do you think this will be a direct replacement?

Offline Philthy

• THANKS 71
  • REMLR No: 425
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 07:37:37 PM »
Looks like a good one Twisty and welcome.

What's the plans for it?

Offline Hell-Fire

• THANKS 8
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 06:13:15 PM »
Good Looking FFR and it looks like it needs nothing doing to it, best of luck with it.
John in Central Victoria
1991 EX Pilbara Regiment RFSV ARN 51-736
1985 Suzuki DR250 ARN 42-454
1942 Willys MB

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 65
  • REMLR No: 482
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 03:49:25 PM »
Congrats Twisty - Welcome  - Looks like a very good vehicle, you will enjoy the LR experience immensely,

Cheers

STDDIVER

Offline ECN405

• THANKS 4
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 10:40:12 PM »
Hello Twisty,
I see you recently had success with a 110. Any tips for Rego Inspection at Regency? I have keys for the ignition and doors once my 110 arrives next week via truck from interstate, but my thinking is that it has the compliance plate, will make sure the lights, indicators etc are okay. Anything else I should focus on?
Thanks
Tim

Offline Twisty

• THANKS 0
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 07:19:28 PM »
Hi Tim,

I think with Regency it depends on who you get on the day and what mood they are in. The first guy obviously had it out for me, but when I went back I had a very different experience.

I took the tools and holders off the bonnet, but kept the windscreen brackets in place - Vehicle Standards Australia confirmed this was fine. I left the name and number of the person I spoke to on the application form, they didn't question it any further.

They weren't concerned about door locks, only ignition key.

I removed the seats in the rear as well as the aerial scoops off the sides.

Unfortunately I had to remove the recovery points off the bull bar.

They weren't happy with the exhaust exiting out the side. I took it to a Midas repair centre, they added a bent tube to face it down. Took them about 20 mins and it was less than $50.

They said I needed to remove the jerrycan holders to provide unobstructed view of tail lights, as well as remove rear lift points as they were 'dangerous protrusions'. VSA said the lift points were fine, just make the lights visible. - I added some slimline LED trailer lights to the top of the roof rack. They were happy with that. The guy even took photos of it.

They didn't bother testing any indicators or lights. Nor did they look inside the vehicle. They checked the compliance plate, then had a walk around. I think it was a case of once they found something they started to look even harder.

Best of Luck!

Offline ECN405

• THANKS 4
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2018, 11:59:34 PM »
Great tips thanks Twisty, much appreciated. I'll update on how I go.

Offline Hell-Fire

• THANKS 8
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 06:42:25 PM »
Shame you had to remove the recovery points and everything else you had to do.

What these inspectors have to get through their heads is that Military vehicles have to comply to be driven on public roads with the only exception would be in a state of war with the Defence Act in place. Recovery points sticking out is no different from a tow bar which is fitted to 90% of vehicles that are on the road.

I am glad all I had to do to mine ad Vic Roads was put the number plates on and I was gone.
John in Central Victoria
1991 EX Pilbara Regiment RFSV ARN 51-736
1985 Suzuki DR250 ARN 42-454
1942 Willys MB

Offline ECN405

• THANKS 4
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 10:59:14 PM »
I went to Regency today and the points you raised Twisty did help me alot thanks.
- I took off the bonnet tool holders, good, they wanted them off
- removed the jerry can holders, good, they wanted them off
- antenna mounts x4 all removed, good
- ignition key added, they made no comment
- I had the exhaust fixed to exit out rear, no comment made, but he was crawling around to work out where it was.

The exhaust Guy (Exhaust Plus Osmond Tce) said if it exited on other side I would have been okay, cannot exit on the side it was due to pedestrians getting a lung full.

However, it was rejected and you did warn me.
- Lift Rings, rear lift rings protrude beyond the towbar, they need to be cut back.
- Front bullbar lift rings protrude and need to be removed back flush with main bullbar
- windscreen bonnet rests also need to be removed.

I mentioned that a previous 110 had been passed with them there (windscreen bonnet rests) in place and he said if I get vehicle standards to sign the form he will let it pass... I think its easier to remove and add back later!

I went to an engineering firm later after that and asked if they could sort my lifting point protrusions. They will sort next week for $100.

Not happy I have to make permanent changes to lift points due to their requests, but I have little choice really. I might just want a chopper lift or need those lift points if it gets a ride on a herc! Oh well.

The assessor did say he could see the effort made etc etc and mentioned the jerry can holders removed.
Hope to be on the road soon
Cheers
tim