Author Topic: Landrover 110 winch and Turbo FFR  (Read 136 times)

Offline Morundah

• THANKS 0
Landrover 110 winch and Turbo FFR
« on: December 07, 2017, 04:28:15 PM »
Hi all,

I am looking at putting a turbo and winch on my 110 landrover FFR, I recently noticed that Grays are selling a few but for a 6x6 are they different?

Or does anyone know where i can get these bits at a good price.

Steve

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 114
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • RC's Shed
  • REMLR No: 007
Re: Landrover 110 winch and Turbo FFR
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 08:10:50 AM »
Hi Steve. I have a turbo on my FFR. I do not recommend buying a ex army turbo, or even a new one as those turbos are a very old design. With the associated part up grades, putting on a turbo gets pricey but its very worthwhile and reliable when done right.

In saw some members here and also my friend fit turbo kits (some fitted the gear themselves, some were pro fitted) and after a couple of years the consensus was that most times the standard 4x4 clutch would slip after a few months of the extra power. But that was the only issue.

I put the idea on the shelf but then my clutch pressure plate failed and I got clutch slip (due to age it seems), I decided to upgrade to a heavy duty clutch and rear disc brakes so that one day if I wanted to fit a turbo, the two main "associated part upgrades" were in place and ready. The other main upgrade, the exhaust system, adds to the costs as well.

I also removed the radiator and had it properly cleaned and tested. I put on new radiator hoses too, of course.

I am very happy with the KLR turbo. Its been a year I think.

As for the PTO winch used parts, someone else may know about them.

Offline Morundah

• THANKS 0
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 09:03:16 PM »
Thanks carzee,

I envisage that it will most likely cost a bit so it is in my pipeline for things to do, there are other mods at the moment I am looking at.

I have seen n this page that KLR fitted Tuurbos could be around 4k does that sound right?

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 114
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • RC's Shed
  • REMLR No: 007
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 09:24:17 PM »
The kit including the exhaust pipe ($750) and freight is about $4k yes. Add about $1200 for a professional to fit it up and test drive/adjust etc.