Author Topic: Fixing a 110 FFR canvas roof  (Read 2233 times)

Offline Morundah

• THANKS 0
  • REMLR No: 542
Fixing a 110 FFR canvas roof
« on: November 29, 2017, 09:13:45 PM »
Hi,

I know I have been asking a few questions lately but I need some more advice.

My canvas roof seems to be okay except for the front bit that covers the driver etc, in some places you can see daylight.

I have read recently where someone glued another piece of canvas underneath using contact adhesive and was just wondering what is the best way to do this.

The canvas also requires waterproofing so i plan to do this at the same time. Are these things easy to do because I dont want to pay a fortune for something I can do myself

Cheers

Steve

Offline Phoenix

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 86
    • REMLR
  • REMLR No: 129
Re: Fixing a 110 FFR canvas roof
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 09:16:09 AM »
IS the perentie roof canvas or another material.  on canvas joseph liddy dryseal thinned out used to be the go to, but not sure on perentie canopies.

Same goes for gluing a patch, not sure what you would glue it with, having a repair piece sewn in may be more effective?
REMLR Webmaster
Eden - 1961 Series 2 Ambulance, 108-098
1973 Army Moke, 25-764

Offline FFRMAN

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 211
  • REMLR No: 314
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 07:49:49 PM »
Howdy, having a "little bit of knowledge" of canvas manufacturing my comments are;

1. The daylight "stars" are usually caused by mould degrading the cotton that is core spun onto the polyester scrim, then the uv will kill the polyester in time.
Eventually the structural integrity of the canvas is lost and it will tear
2. I wouldnt waste my time money or effort in glueing anything bigger than a 50 cent price. Take the canopy off and get the whole roof over the cab sewn in professionally ( on the top surface)
3. There are lots of water reproofers and or mould killers. Most are ok. I'd recommend Dynaproof or bradproof.

But I'd suggest your canopy is near the end of its life. Instead of $250 on repairs and 50 on water proofing think about a new one.

Hope this helps.

Lots...............
VMVC 251,

Offline Morundah

• THANKS 0
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 09:05:08 PM »
Ok thanks for your comments, I know eventually i will have to buy a new canvas cover but would like it to last at least until after christmas. I was recently talking to a knowledgeable chap who advised me to stick a replacement piece with silicon just the plumbers type on top.

Have you tried this before?

Offline FFRMAN

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 211
  • REMLR No: 314
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 11:22:19 PM »
Ok thanks for your comments, I know eventually i will have to buy a new canvas cover but would like it to last at least until after christmas. I was recently talking to a knowledgeable chap who advised me to stick a replacement piece with silicon just the plumbers type on top.

Have you tried this before?

No I haven't, tend to do things professionally. It would work to some extent but would also kill the canvas eventually.
Lots...............
VMVC 251,

Offline Morundah

• THANKS 0
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 12:48:36 PM »
yeah I am going to see if i can get an upholstery to professional sew it in

Thanks

Steve

Offline lucipla

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 10
  • 49154 FFR + 101015 # 5 trailer
  • REMLR No: 410
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 09:29:52 PM »
I will recommend a new one , have a talk with Robco they are very helpful , and a new will last for many years