Author Topic: Perentie rear seat approval  (Read 160 times)

Offline BavarianLad

• THANKS 0
Perentie rear seat approval
« on: November 14, 2017, 12:56:54 AM »
Hi There
I'm looking for a 110 Perentie, but I want to install forward facing seats in the back (can't get the original sideways facing seats approved in WA).
Would be great to get two rows of double seats in it.
I found comments on the internet where some guys used mini bus seats.
I asked my local garage who do inspections on cars. They send a request to the Dep. of Transport WA. The Department send back an information sheet from the NT (they obviously run with the same regulations??).
It says "Passengers - must not be transported in an open load space i.e. rear seats (if fitted). It is considered an offence under the Northern Territory Traffic Regulations to allow a person/s to ride in an open load space whether seated or not."

But I don't want to give up on that idea.
Does anyone, especially for WA, know  about legally installed rear seats in a Perentie soft top?

Cheers
Stefan

Offline THE BOOGER

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 134
  • REMLR No: 282
Re: Perentie rear seat approval
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 04:01:56 AM »
If it is registered as a station wagen not  ute then the rear seats should be ok with seat belts. Tojo troopys are registered in WA
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 04:05:50 AM by THE BOOGER »
geoff c

Offline Mick_Marsh

• Veteran
  • THANKS 92
  • REMLR No: 310
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 08:49:22 AM »
But Tojo troopies have a roof.

This is a state thing. Nothing to do with the ADRs, unless they are treating it as a tour bus.
REMLR # 310, MVCA # 364, 101 Club # 2188, MHG #101
29-417 101 GS, 30-248 101 Rapier Tractor. 30-238 101
34-597 Crump & Cornish 1 ton Cargo Trailer
RT21 RAAF Track Tactical Trailer, 234-671 RAAF Track Tactical Trailer

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 111
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • RC's Shed
  • REMLR No: 007
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 09:43:03 AM »
Welcome to the forum.

Here are some previous threads on the topic, maybe be something in there:

Fitting Rear Forward Facing Seats? (1) http://remlr.com/forum/index.php?topic=1244.0
Fitting Rear Forward Facing Seats? (2) http://remlr.com/forum/index.php?topic=1887.0

...from http://www.remlr.com/wiki/index.php?title=Land_Rover_Perentie#MODIFICATIONS_AND_ACCESSORIES

Offline David

• THANKS 10
  • REMLR No: 478
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 11:06:14 AM »
I have tried to find a way to get forward facing seats in a RFSV in WA and stopped as the cost would have been to expensive to continue.
As you say WA inspectors take the lead from NT and will not allow the seats in a loadspace so in the original format they are not allowed.
I got a vehicle engineer to look into the issue for me and was told as a minimum I had to put a cargo barrier to split the tray into cargo space and passenger space.
The issue with this was that if I did the seats could not be at the front of the tray or they did not have suitable access.
The remaining options were to put the seats at the rear of the tray with a new compliant roll cage, or have the seats on one side under the existing RFSV ROPS and have an a access down one side to the back with a barrier, both which would look wrong and were not what I wanted.
The only real option I found was to convince DVLC the rear area could only be used for passengers not cargo, which was going to be an issue when the DVLC have the inspection guidelines saying seats must be removed.
Running out of options the engineer suggested an expensive alternative that might work would be to recomply, it not as a Land Rover, but as a custom vehicle with seats in the back, I dont know what would be involved but he said as it would be a new custom it would need to meet current emissions standards and I wasnt sure a 25 yo vehicle would without a motor swap.
In short I gave up so my vehicle only has a 2 person capacity.
There are a few RFSV's with the single rear facing seat compliant on the compliance plate and WA will honour this but there are not many so ask the owners of any RFSV's for sale what is on the compliance plate.

If you persue this and find out anything that may help or manage to install legal seats in the rear in WA (facing any direction), please keep me posted.

Land Rover Perentie RFSV 50.417

Offline 303Gunner

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 105
  • REMLR No: 128
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 09:01:43 PM »
I want to install forward facing seats in the back (can't get the original sideways facing seats approved in WA).

Cheers
Stefan
Quote from: THE BOOGER
....the rear seats should be ok with seat belts. Tojo troopys are registered in WA.
Quote from: Mick_Marsh
I think the point Geoff was making is that sideways facing seats CAN be approved, providing they have approved seat belt mounting points. The presence of a roof is not particularly relevant, as standard Troopies are also load carrying vehicles with a combined cargo/seating area.

Offline BavarianLad

• THANKS 0
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 01:03:20 AM »
Thanks for all your help.
It seems like its easier to get a 110 hard top with approved seats, strip it and install roll bars.
I've done that with my civilian td5 90 it is very easy to do.

I know they still have the land cruiser troopies, but you wont see any new models. All those vehicles with sideways facing seats are from a different era. I don,t know when they changed the law, but I'm pretty sure now, you won't get those kind of seats approved in any vehicle.

I will definitely will keep you posted David

Offline BavarianLad

• THANKS 0
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 01:17:07 AM »
Here are a photo of my 90

Offline Mick_Marsh

• Veteran
  • THANKS 92
  • REMLR No: 310
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 08:53:28 AM »
I want to install forward facing seats in the back (can't get the original sideways facing seats approved in WA).

Cheers
Stefan
....the rear seats should be ok with seat belts. Tojo troopys are registered in WA.
I think the point Geoff was making is that sideways facing seats CAN be approved, providing they have approved seat belt mounting points. The presence of a roof is not particularly relevant, as standard Troopies are also load carrying vehicles with a combined cargo/seating area.
Yep. In Australia, yes.
Western Australia, apparently not. They seem to be a different country.
REMLR # 310, MVCA # 364, 101 Club # 2188, MHG #101
29-417 101 GS, 30-248 101 Rapier Tractor. 30-238 101
34-597 Crump & Cornish 1 ton Cargo Trailer
RT21 RAAF Track Tactical Trailer, 234-671 RAAF Track Tactical Trailer

Offline David

• THANKS 10
  • REMLR No: 478
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 10:05:06 AM »
FYI if you want a 3 seater with 1 licensed rear seat, the RFSV currently for sale in Fremantle on gumtree for $21k looks like it is a 3 person, these are hard to get so $21k probably isn't a bad price depending on condition, based on what others are asking.
Land Rover Perentie RFSV 50.417

Offline 303Gunner

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 105
  • REMLR No: 128
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 10:44:39 PM »

Cheers
Stefan
Yep. In Australia, yes.
Western Australia, apparently not. They seem to be a different country.
Meanwhile, in WA...

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/heathridge/cars-vans-utes/2000-land-rover-defender-td5-ht-ex-army/1162259666

This WA licenced TD5 Remediation vehicle (with a later compliance date than ANY Perentie model) has sideways facing rear seats. Yes, it does have a hard roof, but I think the factory-engineered seatbelt mounts are what sees it through. I think Bavarian Lad needs to consult an Engineer to see what needs to be done to the Perentie to match the Defender seat belt mounting points.

Or maybe this is the vehicle you need to buy instead of a Perentie? And then consult the Engineer about removing the hard roof and fitting a Perentie ROPS and Canopy?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 10:47:21 PM by 303Gunner »