Author Topic: Water Jerries - Australian army style  (Read 745 times)

Offline craigb

• THANKS 22
  • REMLR No: 488
Water Jerries - Australian army style
« on: October 04, 2017, 08:58:37 PM »
Anaconda is selling Australian water jerries. price will be around $45 posted or they're on special for $35 in-store. https://www.anacondastores.com/camping-hiking/hydration/water-purification-storage/bushtracks-water-jerry-can/p/90006190003

These are the olive drab plastic, familiar-shaped Aussie/British 22l water jerries but these are not for the purist since they are not exactly the same as the issued example. The biggest problem with the older issue 22lt water cans is that if you dropped a full one on its corner it'd break. This jerry they're selling at Anaconda has squared off corners so that type of breakage is far more unlikely to happen. Whereas the issued water drum has a large spout and a smaller spout, this one has two larger spouts. It also has a bung for a tap, which I don't think the issued examples have. Mine is stamped with an NSN, so it's probably made on the same machinery as the proper ones. The distributor, "bush tracks", cunningly removed the manufacturer's stamp, so I have no idea who makes them. For camping or as a proper-looking water drum for your vehicle, they aren't a bad choice.
ARN 49-215 Truck, Utility, Lightweight, FFR, Winch, MC2 "Frankie" -1989
ARN 101-001 Trailer, Cargo, Ton, 2 Wheeled, Aust. No. 5 - 1963

Offline Ravvin

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 59
  • REMLR No: 432
Re: Water Jerries - Australian army style
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 08:16:02 AM »
Hi, if you go to nsncenter.com and put the number in the search box, it should tell you who the manufacturer is.

Greg.

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 42
  • REMLR No: 482
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 02:33:17 PM »
In Western Victoria - new army moulded water jerry cans with D of D stamp, solid cans selling for $20 each.  Contact Geoprge Taylor's Stores - Grassmere Junction.  If anyone is interested I can provide contact details.

Happy water carrying  STDDIVER

Offline craigb

• THANKS 22
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 05:26:43 PM »
Hi, if you go to nsncenter.com and put the number in the search box, it should tell you who the manufacturer is.

Greg.

Cheers mate. I punched in the stamped NSN (7240-66-054-4944) but it's not listed there. Could be a fake number I guess. The broadarrow on these jerries has a "barb" on them so it could be a legal/ownership issue.

Aside from that they are a great water drum if you're looking for something which looks the part but which is brand new, so you know where it's been ;-)  I just ordered another one last night from the Anaconda link. I've been using the one in the pics for about 10 years and have never had a problem with it. I can't say the same for the green plastic "Pro-Quip" water jerries.

Offline craigb

• THANKS 22
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 05:27:32 PM »
In Western Victoria - new army moulded water jerry cans with D of D stamp, solid cans selling for $20 each.  Contact Geoprge Taylor's Stores - Grassmere Junction.  If anyone is interested I can provide contact details.

Happy water carrying  STDDIVER

Are they green or black plastic those ones?

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 42
  • REMLR No: 482
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 05:54:02 PM »
Green (Olive) exactly the same new colour of military ones.  Some have two large threaded caps, others have one small and one large.  On closer inspection of the D of D emblem it has an extra line so may explain the different NSN.  Happy to follow up.
Army genuine NSN 7240-66-054-8602 - other has NSN 7240-66-054-4944   :)

Offline craigb

• THANKS 22
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 07:09:14 PM »
Green (Olive) exactly the same new colour of military ones.  Some have two large threaded caps, others have one small and one large.  On closer inspection of the D of D emblem it has an extra line so may explain the different NSN.  Happy to follow up.
Army genuine NSN 7240-66-054-8602 - other has NSN 7240-66-054-4944   :)

Roger.

Thanks for jotting down the NSNs  I did a search on the genuine NSN and although there was no manufacturer's details at NSN Center, a googl search brought up this item in the AWM's collection - https://www.awm.gov.au/index.php/collection/C1116197 which indicates the manufacturer is BMW Plastics at Dandenong in Victoria. If you recall from the original post I said that the distributor "Bush Tracks" had scrubbed the manufacturer's details from all of these 22 litre army style water drums.

Unfortunately, BMW Plastics went into liquidation about 5 years ago, but they may have reformed as Venture BMW Pty Ltd, a mob who have been making generic plastic fuel cans and such.

Another manufacturer ho was making the 22 litre water drums in 2003 was Bruno Manufacturing, also in Victoria.

There was a tender put out by Defence last year for 6,000 22 litre water drums but I have no idea whether this tender was won by Scepter in Canada (who do the Kiwi/US/Canuck/Dutch Military Water Containers) or whether the old style like the ones above are still being manufactured.

The search for new-manufactured, unissued proper ADF 22 Litre water drums appropriate for Perenties continues...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 07:27:29 PM by craigb »