Author Topic: craigb's Perentie FFR and No. 5 Trailer  (Read 5009 times)

Offline craigb

• THANKS 22
  • REMLR No: 488
Re: craigb's Perentie FFR and No. 5 Trailer
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2018, 10:00:33 PM »
Wow thanks for the write up and pics Dennis! Most appreciated.

Yeah, I'm getting nerve-wracked just thinking about cutting through the guards Hahaha
ARN 49-215 Truck, Utility, Lightweight, FFR, Winch, MC2 "Frankie" -1989
ARN 101-001 Trailer, Cargo, Ton, 2 Wheeled, Aust. No. 5 - 1963

Offline craigb

• THANKS 22
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2018, 11:00:58 PM »
I can't be trusted with a rattlecan, so now the "Cub Pack" box is all painted green.

It's mounted to the slide via a couple of suitable blocks of hardwood as a stopgap measure. A more permanent mount will be made up using two lengths of 30mm steel square tubing bolted to the base of the battery slide and then the box bolted to the tubing. I'll have to trim the terrain on the bottom of the box beforehand since it's not flat. I have to say that although everyone raves about the Front Runner "Wolf Pack" and "Cub Pack" boxes, they are badly over-priced for what you get and they seem a bit flimsy to me. They are pretty well protected in the battery locker though, so they should be OK I guess.

In order to maximise space inside the box, I'll be ditching the idea of using 5 litre Supercheap Auto jerrycan as an oil drum and have ordered a NOS 5litre army oil tin from the UK which I think is part of the CES for the Pommy LRs and is probably identical to the issued ones which came with the Perenties.

There's fewer protrusions than the jerrycan ones and it's a somewhat slimmer design, meaning I should be able to fit more junk in the box - like a fuel filter and an oil filter - fingers crossed.

At the moment the box is packed with grease gun and spare cartridge, fan belt, diesel treatment, 1 litre oil bottle with pump assembly for topping up my leaking transfer case, a 5 litre jerrycan, a torch, various tiedowns, cable locks, ockie straps, paracord, etc. Just seeing what fits so I can make some room in my rear body tool lockers. Ideally I'd like to fit a set of jumper cables in the box as well, but I think that'd be stretching the friendship.

I managed to get hold of a pair of NOS front blackout marker lights direct from the US. I will reinstall these to fill the gaps between the blinkers and parking lights but won't be reconnecting them, so they're "decorative" only.

Looks like I have to remove the headlight assemblies to be able to bolt these little marker lights in place. Well, I need to adjust my headlights anyway so it's a good excuse to go in after the headlights man to man.

Next week I've allocated some time to sort out the 12-pin NATO connectors on the vehicle and the trailer.

The No. 5 trailer is in the process of being restored to stock condition before I rego it again, including the manufacturer's data plate, the 12-pin NATO plug and the spring clip which holds it when not in use.

I picked up some decals online which I will apply to the front and rear of the Landy respectively.

Neither of them are original, but they are the right size and are modern purpose-made vinyl vehicle decals so they should stay stuck for a good while... at least until I change the vehicle colour again LOL

Today I purchased a couple of document holders. One is a Vietnam-era US map and document case...

... and a British vehicle document case...

The US one had texta names all over it, so I gave it a squirt of green spraypaint tocover them then added my own name. I also changed the "US" to the more correct "AUST" ;-) This will be perfect for roadmaps, etc. and can live in the driver's side door pocket while on the road.

The British one I'm guessing is designed to fold up and live behind the sun visor? I have no idea what size it is, so I'll work out what I'm using it for after I receive it.

Lastly, the car is off the road at the moment with starter motor woes. It was super hard to crank and the other morning it wouldn't start at all. Earths were OK but there was dropped voltage between the battery and the starter motor which I discovered was due to a very dodgy battery cable. At some stage the positive cable had been replaced with a length of too-thin jump starter cable. It had deteriorated and by the time the starter trouble began, the car was dropping at least 4 volts between the battery and the starter. This was replaced today with the correct weight cable but sadly all the low voltage cranking had burned out the bushes in the starter motor so she ain't startin'. The auto electrician is coming on Wednesday to rip out, recondition and reinstall the starter motor so hopefully I'll be back on the road Wednesday afternoon.

Offline craigb

• THANKS 22
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2018, 07:02:17 PM »
Remember all my pretty words about being back on the road by "Wednesday afternoon"...?

Nope. Didn't happen.

According to the autoelectrician, the starter was too far gone to salvage. I thought it would have been OK to recondition, but hey, he was the expert. I purchased a new aftermarket starter motor and called the autoelectrician to make an appointment for him to come and install it. Didn't show up and hasn't been answering calls. I needed the car on the road the week before last and I am STILL off the road because rather than undo the 28v generator bolts and move it forward a little, this clown bent the clutch line out of the way so he could remove the starter motor, with predictable results - the steel clutch line is broken and has leaked out all my precious clutch fluid. So a week later, with no contact from this guy despite phone calls and texts to him every day, I found someone else willing to finish the job and the starter is now in and works perfectly. In addition, the two batts and the alternator are all in great nick and working just as they should.

However, I'm STILL off the road. I'm not going to attempt to fix the clutch hose myself. I'll call in someone else to do it during the week and bill Clown Number One for the parts and labour. The rationale for calling someone else in is that I will have two witnesses other than myself as well as an itemised repair bill to hand over. This is all great evidence in the event he doesn't cough up and I have to go to Fair Trading.

In other news, I have bought a pair of those MKI RFSV-style dual jerrycan carriers from 4x4 Designs, which should come in handy for longer jaunts. I have to prime and paint them before I install them, so with the wet weather forecast I probably won't get to it before the weekend.

I am actively looking for a set of RFSV side baskets and am drawing up a plan for a homebrew DIY version of the SRV-SF's fold down rear platform.

I have a new set of headlights (original incandescents) which I would have needed for rego in August since one of my headlight's glass is cracked. I have also DIY'd a pair of pins for my vertical winch rollers so the winch is back in action.

Provided I can get back on the road by the weekend the plan is to head out to Wombeyan caves then on to the ghost town of Yerranderie where we've booked two nights camping at Private Town. I'm a big fan of Yerranderie - it never gets boring. Yerranderie is worth the long drive if you ever find yourself out in the Oberon area.

Offline craigb

• THANKS 22
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2018, 12:12:37 AM »
The vehicle is back on the road so I headed out to Yerranderie for the long weekend just gone. Top spot. Never boring, although like most places within a day's drive of a capital city it's becoming more crowded during these long weekends.

Entrance to the disused Wonga silver mine.

Storm clouds rolling in over Tonalli Gap. Didn't get much rain.

Remains of some of the infrastructure at the Silver Peak silver mine.

Rusted out boiler and a water tank at the Silver Peak mine site.

A glance down the main shaft at the Silver Peak silver mine.

The roof of the old slab hut at Yerranderie Private Town.

Obligatory "before" shot of the vehicle at the Colong Oberon Stock Route sign on the Werong Rd.

Stopped at the rock platform on the Myall Causeway not far out of Yerranderie for a bit of a look around the Aboriginal carvings. The Landy was a bit muddy by this time. There were roadworks about 50km back which, with the passage of many vehicles and a good dump of rain, had turned into a slushfest.

Just near the "Government Town" campsite are a pair of old buildings, the police station and the courthouse.  Still used today as accommodation by various state government departments such as NPWS, RFS and NSWPOL the buildings are easily the most substantial structures in the area.

We camped in the "Private Town" campground. I erected both side awnings and pitched the canvas tent. Quite a comfortable setup, with the house battery in the Landy able to power the fridge for up to four days, plus a 12v LED strip light, camp furniture and the two-burner gas stove I usually leave at home.

The ebay RFSV-style dual jerrycan carrier was hurriedly installed on Thursday and tested in the wild over the weekend.  There were a few little hiccups installing it but it definitely does what it says on the tin. I have the other side here ready to go so I'll install it sometime during the week

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 129
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • RC's Shed
  • REMLR No: 007
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2018, 07:40:20 AM »
As usual, great photos, especially no 9 in the sun.
I also got a early set of dbl jerry holders from 4x4designs. Have yet to fit them. What primer did you go with?

Offline craigb

• THANKS 22
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2018, 09:23:34 AM »
Thanks Carzee.

I just used etch primer from supercheap auto then a splash of Protec camo brown.

Offline craigb

• THANKS 22
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2018, 10:20:01 PM »
I installed the passenger's side 4x4Designs RFSV-style dual jerrycan carrier today, so now have both mounted in advance of a trip into cooler climes on the weekend.  Just like the driver's side carrier there were a few little hiccups.

What are these hiccups I have come across? There are a couple.

1. The big one is that the bolt holes on the passenger side didn't match up to the tub. The fix was pretty simple, just drill holes in the correct place, cold gal the bare metal and etch prime. Apparently the mob who did the laser cutting and bending used the driver's side template for both sides, hence the holes being in the wrong place.

2. The top clamps have padlock hasps welded on, which is an awesome idea, however these weren't compatible with my jerrycans. I use variously - ADF 20lt fuel jerrycans, Pro Quip 20lt army style diesel jerrycans, "Bush Tracks" 22 litre water drums (identical dimensions to ADF issue 22l plastics, but have a side bung and two big spouts instead of one big and one small), 20 litre US military "Spectre" plastic water drums.  There was no combination of my jerrycans which allowed the top clamps to shut properly because the hasp was in the way. I ended up cutting the hasps off both the clamps on my carriers. In order to lock it, I use a weapon cable lock, which works fine and will keep the honest thieves at bay just like a normal padlock will.

3. Rather than a "J" hook like the on the RFSV item, the tightening rod for the top clamps have a nut and washer arrangement. It works fine, but I think a "J" hook would be a little more secure and easier to tighten without the rod spinning.

4. The bolts which connect the top clamp to the vehicle's tub are a bit short, so I had to swap them for some longer ones I happened to have in the shed to allow me to use bigger washers as faux backing plates.

5. I can only seem to carry steel fuel jerrycans with the spout facing the tub. 

So what did I like about these carriers?

1. They allow you to carry two jerrycans either side instead of the single jerrycan carriers which are standard on GSs and FFRs. It's super-practical for me at the moment, and has a MK1 RFSV vibe to it.

2. They are very well constructed, mostly machine cut and bent and then neatly welded together and galvanised

3. The top clamps have plates welded on which will stop anyone from opening a steel jerrycan while the clamp is in the down position.

4. Pretty straight forward to install the driver's side - just unscrew the tail light lens, then unbolt the mudguard plate between the mud flaps and the rear of the tail lights, before unbolting the rear of the tailights. Once the tail lights are out of position you can access the two side bolts on the original jerrycan carrier and with the mudguard plate removed you can access the bolts which hold the jerrycan carrier to the tub. Installing the base of the double jerrycan carrier is dead easy and everything on the driver's side just bolted up. You need to relocate two tie-down loops, and the top clamp requires a bit of hand fitting and measuring since you have to drill two holes in the tub. Once you've done this it's a simple job to just bolt the clamp into position. As described above, the first batch of the passenger side bases has the holes drilled in the wrong position, so you need to position and drill two new holes before moving onto the install of the passenger side. I am assuming this won't be an issue for subsequent batches.

5. Once modified by cutting off the padlock hasps, the clamps are awesomely compatible with the cable weapon locks I use for securing my fuel jerries.

6. The bases have cutouts for water jerrycan taps. I was sceptical at first whether the cutouts were high enough for my 22lt water jerries with tap, but they fit perfectly. All this time I've been hauling my water jerrycans out of the carrier and standing them on the front guard for easy access to the tap, but now I'll just leave them in the jerrycan carrier and will probably leave the tap fitted full time now.

7. Great value for money and quick shipping by courier.

Some pics:

Last weekend with just one carrier fitted. Gives an idea of how they look from side on.

The jerries are a bit dusty and muddy, but this pic gives you a good idea of the driver's side fitted. In this carrier are one green ADF jerrycan and one brown-painted Pro Quip jerrycan.

Passenger's side. Note the water drum with tap fitted.

Weapon lock in place. Overspray? What overspray...?

Tie-down loop relocated.

I reckon that aftermarket RFSV components such as these are a great idea for folks like me who aren't looking at complete originality for their vehicle, but want some of the extra carrying capacity of the RFSVs and such.

Now we just need someone to make to following items:

- Passenger side RFSV style dual (or even single) spare wheel carriers
- RFSV or SRV-SF-style side baskets
- SRV-SF fold down rear platform

:-D
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 09:05:53 AM by craigb »

Offline Dopey

• THANKS 7
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2018, 01:41:58 AM »
G'day Craig, I note with interest your comments about the passenger side dual jerry can holder and the fitment issues that you had...
I also had issues with mine, I didn't end up modifying it for mounting, I've tried it now on 4 different chassis and there is no way to fit it without relatively major modifications that I don't want to have to do.

The other interesting comment of yours is that Jason has refunded half the purchase price for the passenger side jerry can holder....

That hasn't happened for me, nor did I know anything about this refund until reading it here in your comments.
I'll be contacting him (Jason) to request the same refund as the product is obviously faulty.

Jason is well aware of the issues with the fitment of the jerry can holder that I purchased from him as he responded to most of my comments on one of the Facebook pages about his product.

Anyways, enough of my complaining,
Your pics (as always) look good!
With the extra weight at the rear, have you considered installing the D110HD/D130/RFSV/SRV helper springs or airbags inside the rear coils?

Offline craigb

• THANKS 22
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2018, 08:54:37 AM »
Thanks mate. Sorry to hear you're having fitment issues. That's no good since mine more or less bolted straight up (once the holes were relocated for the passenger side). As for the partial refund, I didn't know some folks hadn't been offered one. I will edit my previous post since that's something between buyer and seller and probably doesn't belong on a public forum. To be clear though, I bought my two carriers separately rather than as the set, if that makes any difference.

Some helper springs would definitely be a good idea, particularly if I manage to make up the SRV-SF-style fold-down rear platform I have on the drawing board for carrying two spares and four fuel jerries on longer jaunts into the backblocks rather than messing around trying to source RFSV Mission Kit spare wheel carriers and such.

I actually have a set of springs here which Ben, the previous owner, included as spares with the vehicle, but I have no idea if they are 110 spares or if they are out of an RFSV or D130, etc.

Is there any way to tell at a glance?

« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 09:03:17 AM by craigb »

Offline craigb

• THANKS 22
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2018, 03:52:16 PM »
I've been roaring around the Bago State Forest up Tumbarumba/Batlow way this weekend. In fact I'm typing this on the toughbook from a folding chair by the campfire at Blowering Dam.

My speedo has mysteriously stopped working, but the dual jerrycan carriers haven't fallen off, and everything else on the vehicle seems to be working well, so I guess some pretty pics are in order...