Author Topic: craigb's Perentie FFR and No. 5 Trailer  (Read 6677 times)

Offline craigb

• THANKS 22
  • REMLR No: 488
craigb's Perentie FFR and No. 5 Trailer
« on: October 06, 2017, 01:39:27 PM »
As per my sig, the vehicle is ARN 49-215 Truck, Utility, Lightweight, FFR, Winch, MC2 -1989. I haven't been through the log book properly yet, but a flick through indicates it spent a lot of time on strength with School of Armour at Pucka.

I bought it second hand from a bloke up Tamworth way. The previous owner spent a lot of time and money getting the vehicle sorted to his liking. His mods were mainly mechanical and were the reason I bought a rather pricey second hand one rather than go for one straight out of the auctions.

At time of writing I've had it about a week and I'm still getting to know it. Not sure if I like it yet, but the buyer's remorse is fading. I bought it so I have to live with it :-D

PO's major mods, additions and damage -

- Painted with colourbond "Eucalyptus Mist" rattlecans. I don't like it, but it does approximate the shade of badly-faded camouflage green IRR paint you see on these vehicles
- Power steering
- Rear disk brakes
- Heavy duty clutch
- Long travel suspension
- 33 inch BFGs
- APT snorkel
- ARB onboard compressor
- Original 24v power system chopped and an RFSV-style 12v dual battery system fitted
- GME TX3120S UHF
- Light bar
- Civvy 110 hard top roof panel with a roof rack and boat roller. Original canvas FFR canopy sides added to this hard roof via sail track. 
- Exhaust chopped shortened to just before the rear wheel - very loud. My ears are still ringing. I gather this happened under flex while on a 4wd trip, with the big tyres damaging the original exhaust. I'm taking the vehicle into a muffler place this arvo to get a quote for a new piece.
- Front passenger side wing has an unfortunately-placed dent.
- Both rear wheel arch "eyebrows" are damaged from the big tyres. I have a good looking intact one here which came with the vehicle.
- Front canvas canopy bow chopped so the hard top would fit

Most of the in-service fittings were stripped out of the vehicle, but I have this morning replaced the "locker" which sits in the rear of the FFRs. I have a half a No.5 trailer-load of bits which I'll be reinstalling as time goes by.

I've swapped out the big 33 inch rubber for 5 x standard perentie steel rims with OK Olympic Steeltrek tyres. I do appreciate the big tyres, but I've been running 750 16s on split rims on a Landcruiser for ten years, so I know and appreciate them more.

I have it booked in for a major service with KLR Automotive which will hopefully tell me if there's anything amiss mechanically. I am impressed with the ride though. The engine, gearbox, etc are all great and the coil suspension means it'll glide over those corrugated roads up north and out west.

My plans for the vehicle - in no particular order.

- Replace the APT snorkel with either an RFSV one or a DIY approximation - nope just chopped the top off to add a precleaner or ram air head.
- Repair the dent - done
- Repair the shortened exhaust - done
- Replace the damaged rear "eyebrows" done
- Paint it - Protec Camouflage Green or Protec Camouflage Brown - I have a half a dozen cans of both here, but can't decide. - in progress (Camouflage Brown)
- Install ignition lock - done
- Install door locks - haven't gotten around to this yet
- Install a "cubby box" centre console I bought online from Landybitz - done
- Install the RFSV-style kick vents that Carzee and some others have fitted - I grew to appreciate the kick vents in my old Landcruiser - they do make a difference in a non-air conditioned vehicle on a stinking hot day - parts purchased pending install
- Relocate the ARB compressor from its current position in the driver's side FFR battery locker to under the bonnet - wiring for the compressor relocated, still need to make up the mounting plate for the compressor
- Fabricate or purchase an RFSV-style "security" box for the same location - mainly for POL, belts and filters - Done - I mounted a Frontrunner "Cub Pack" box for this position.
- Repair or replace the chopped front canopy bow
- Remove the hard top and fit an olive drab canvas canopy - Ideally I'd like a GS type with an extended rear curtain to match the FFR's "tailgate". I like windows.
- DIY a canvas "fume curtain" with a big window in it. Helps keep out exhaust fumes, dust and rain, and in the cool weather should help keep the heat in. Also, chicks'll dig it for sure... won't they...? - Done - I fitted a Paddock Spares fume curtain. Works.
- RFSV-style dual jerry can carriers on rear. Done - Purchased the loose copies from Offroad Designs in QLD
- Strip out the connectors on the FFR power distribution box and install a variety of merit, cig and USB output sockets, plus one or more Anderson Engel posi-fit inputs for trickle charging the batts from my solar panels if stationary for a few days. - Done
- Make up a platform for the interior for storage and as a solid surface for a mattress or swag if required. Nope - not doing this now.
- second fuel tank. I have a gaping empty space under the passenger's seat where the cranking battery once lived. I heard you could put another 68 litre fuel tank in there. Having it plumbed to the same filler neck as the main tank would be convenient.
- Purchase or have fabricated the fairlead roller pins/bolts so I can bring my PTO winch back into an operational condition - Done
- Bolt-in/bolt-out jerrycan carriers for my 22 litre water drums located somewhere in the interior. - done
- Platform for my 40 litre fridge freezer - probably locate atop the FFR "locker". done
- High lift jack mount utilising the FFR radio aerial "sugar scoops" on one side. Nope. Going for a civilian roof rack mount
- DIY an insect screen for the flimsy plastic grille. - Done. Added aluminium insect netting to the inside of the grille.
- Ditch the existing light bar and fit a pair of round spotties

That's all I can think of - at least until the list of mechanical work needed is determined.

A picture of the vehicle:

« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 09:02:53 AM by craigb »
ARN 49-215 Truck, Utility, Lightweight, FFR, Winch, MC2 "Frankie" -1989
ARN 101-001 Trailer, Cargo, Ton, 2 Wheeled, Aust. No. 5 - 1963

Offline dugite

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 91
  • REMLR No: 374
Re: craigb's Perentie FFR and No. 5 Trailer
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 03:07:14 PM »

Impressive and interesting list craig, and a it brings a couple of things to mind (I knew that vehicle when it lived nearby).

The insect screens for the 4X4 110s can be purchased from Robco.

The second tank used under the pass seat in the RFSV is a tank from a LR90. So while it fits there, I understand they're quite expensive. The tank selection as factory fitted is by way of a Pollak valve but if I was doing it from scratch I'd use a simple 12v transfer pump.
2a 109 114-341,
No.5 173-589,
W/S Platform 178-000,
PT1 204-796

Offline dugite

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 91
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 06:14:55 PM »
death wobbles can be steering damper or bushes and may be exacerbated by wheel imbalance
2a 109 114-341,
No.5 173-589,
W/S Platform 178-000,
PT1 204-796

Offline BEARMAN

• THANKS 82
  • REMLR No: 430
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 08:30:43 PM »
Or swivel housing preload.
09/1998 Perentie 6X6 ARN202516 - BRUTUS

Offline dugite

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 91
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 06:08:51 AM »
Of course, thanks Brian
2a 109 114-341,
No.5 173-589,
W/S Platform 178-000,
PT1 204-796

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 46
  • REMLR No: 482
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 05:59:55 PM »
Great post Craig!  Excellent read and positive progress - looking forward to the compressor fit solution under the bonnet too!

STDDIVER

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 133
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • RC's Shed
  • REMLR No: 007
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 11:08:14 AM »
Great progress Craig.

1. I have a FFR power distr box you can borrow to look over and check out things as you need.

2. I have a spare panhard rod and new bushes ready to be pressed in. Saves waiting for parts. You can replace as time and work permits. This has happened already for a local member - its a like an exchange part. :) Take the rod over to Johnny at http://www.seriesworkshop.com.au  aka the Fyshwick Landy Club.

http://remlr.com/forum/index.php?topic=4200.0

PM me.

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 133
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • RC's Shed
  • REMLR No: 007
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 06:13:13 PM »
Wow, very busy.
Interesting about shellite. Not a common thing to do nowadays. I like it. Probably rarer than the walkers who use metho (I hate the invisible aspect).

For a bed board I used form ply, 18mm. Its strong, black and cheap at $10 a 900x600 sheet. Maybe if you see a AWOL alloy one you should buy it.

Offline Dervish

• THANKS 57
  • REMLR No: 403
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 07:19:11 PM »

Door tops/sliding windows:
- Ordered 4m of flocked rubber channel to fix the rattling windows once and for all.
- Removed both door tops. I'll run door top-less until the rubber arrives. I was surprised that the door top bolts were in generally good condition, although one had been replaced with a galvanised bolt. I was also pleasantly surprised that unlike the Garrison Outfitters videos, the rivets in the Perentie door tops have been replaced with little screws. That'll make life easier.

Where did you get your bailey channel if you don't mind me asking? The source I knew of folded and it has eluded me since.

By far the best camp cooking method for us is a Trangia on gas; with the 220g bottles. Gas and stove weigh about a kilo together, including two pots, pan and kettle. Brilliant bit of kit.

Offline Jdemo1

• THANKS 3
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 04:21:02 PM »
Love the progress mate. What kind of prepping did you do to the old paint before you painted? A light sand then whack on the protec?

Cheers
Jake
1988 Land Rover Perentie FFR 48-714

Offline dugite

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 91
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 06:24:44 PM »
The curtain in the FFR top is for blackout purposes, but would equally act for a similar purpose to what you need. On my most recent canopy order I added a curtain mainly for the purpose of additional warmth in winter, that insipid 110 heater needs all the help it can get :)

The curtain you illustrated looks good.
2a 109 114-341,
No.5 173-589,
W/S Platform 178-000,
PT1 204-796

Offline dugite

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 91
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 06:27:17 PM »
The curtain in the FFR top is for blackout purposes, but would equally act for a similar purpose to what you need. On my most recent canopy order I added a curtain mainly for the purpose of additional warmth in winter :)

The curtain you illustrated looks good.

Ah of course, a blackout curtain. I think it's made from that super-opaque silvery PVC type material on the inside of the FFR canopies too isn't it? I reckon it'd be cheap and easy to sew a clear vinyl window into that one, although it wouldn't be much of a blackout curtain once you were done  :D

no need for a window  - there is no matching rear "window" in the back of the FFR canopy.
2a 109 114-341,
No.5 173-589,
W/S Platform 178-000,
PT1 204-796

Offline Dozer

• THANKS 4
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2017, 01:33:19 PM »
Great continued work Craig!  And I love the wave thing, with me being in the whole hand wave category.  I tend to not make eye contact Series 200's ;)
Perentie RFSV ARN 48002;  No.5 trailer ARN 177277; No.5 trailer ARN 173261;  Haulmark PT1-1.2 Cargo Trailer ARN 205034; Half-ponton ("Bailey or Ugli") bridge boat 63447; Silverwood dual axle RAN boat trailer NIC 20104; Marston Mat hoarder

Offline Chazza

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 81
  • REMLR No: 217
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2017, 08:57:20 PM »

I wanted to retain my existing headlight assembly and its panel, so in order to remove the top wing panel from the assembly I had to drill out some rivets and then drill out what looks like some spot welds on the reinforcing plates. I haven't yet decided how to secure these spot welded areas. I have some stainless steel pop rivets which might work, or I may bolt them together.

Don't use stainless on aluminium it will start very bad corrosion between the two metals.

Always use rivets made from the same base metal as the panel.

Cheers Charlie
S2 Command Recce '59
S2A 109" GS '63
S2A Fire Truck '64

Offline DetV

• THANKS 15
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2018, 07:15:24 PM »
Craig, I like how you have re-purposed the Cannon power sockets to retain the covers and original appearance. Thanks for the ideas.
FFR MC2 "Spence" 51-490 , Haulmark 3/4ton 204973
civvy: 98 Prado, 7x4 gal trailer, FRJ1300, MX-5
de VK2KVP