Author Topic: craigb's Perentie FFR and No. 5 Trailer  (Read 1121 times)

Offline craigb

• THANKS 11
  • REMLR No: 488
Re: craigb's Perentie FFR and No. 5 Trailer
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2017, 08:16:47 PM »
I thought I'd better take the Landy onto the dirt, so today I went for a run down to Kangaroo Valley and Nowra. I stopped in the Valley for a bit of a drive down to Beehive Point, the road leading to which is a typical, barely maintained, fire trail type track with enough dust, hills, sharp bends, ruts, corrugations, and even some small bogs and a few puddles, to provide a good mix of typical dirt driving terrain.

Here's a bit of a disjointed photographic walkaround of the vehicle as it is at the moment -

Here's what I discovered on the drive -

- The suspension seems good. No problems at all.
- I think I need new seals on the windscreen frame vents - dust just poured in from somewhere in the front.
- Also on the dust front, I discovered that despite being "locked", the passenger side window likes to slide open. Further investigation revealed that the lock on that side doesn't work. I might have a crack at repairing the lock or replace it if need be.
- I wasn't sure if the dust was pouring in from the passenger side windscreen vent or from the firewall/footwell on that side. I'll replace the windscreen vent seals and see if it still occurs. Having new front wing panels installed on that side has me all suspicious that there might be a big dust seal or something missing between the guard and the rest of the car.

Disconcertingly I discovered the smoke escaping from some of the wiring in the birdsnest under the CB on the way home.

The birdsnest of wiring in all its chaotic glory

The culprit.

I have no idea what's causing the problem. Presumably it's a short circuit. I'll check the wiring diagram and see how it's SUPPOSED to look. The previous owner removed the blackout switches and threw in a couple of 12v accessory sockets in their place, so it shouldn't be too hard to track down the problem I guess. I'm glad I re-installed the fire extinguisher the other day.

Tomorrow, weather permitting, I'll smooth out and prime that replacement front wing panel and while it's all curing I'll see if I can't plug that smoke leak in the electrical wiring in the dash...
ARN 49-215 Truck, Utility, Lightweight, FFR, Winch, MC2 "Frankie" -1989
ARN 101-001 Trailer, Cargo, Ton, 2 Wheeled, Aust. No. 5 - 1963

Offline craigb

• THANKS 11
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2017, 07:23:42 AM »
Dash smoking wiring

I sorted out the short circuit in the dashboard wiring last night. It was a three way connector which had been squashed and was shorting on itself. The wires in question control the headlights, blinkers and the horn.

I was able to salvage the three-way connector and straighten it all out thankfully, since I don't have anything like it in the parts box. I cut out the damaged section of wiring and spliced in a new one, so hopefully no more smoke seeping out from the dashboard. After an "oh crap" moment early in the process where I didn't have headlights or blinkers, everything now works as it should.

Power distribution box 

I STILL haven't received half the components I ordered a month ago - a couple of cigar sockets and a 12v voltmeter -  at this rate it looks like I'll have rely upon the two cigar sockets in the back of the vehicle for the WA trip.

Offline craigb

• THANKS 11
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2017, 04:30:16 PM »
Well today I shamed myself by having a bingle in the Landy.

It's raining down here so I've been driving around with the canvas sides down. I had been a bit concerned with the visibility out of the driver's side mirror since it's a small aftermarket one compared to the large issue one on the passenger's side. These fears were realised this afternoon when I nosed out of a carpark and despite checking the blindspot, I was greeted with a crunching noise as a car I didn't see roared out of nowhere and collected my driver's side front corner, presumably whilst trying to avoid me. Luckily no-one was hurt.

Damage to the other vehicle, a 1990s Ford sedan, was not pretty - the rear passenger door is crunched for its whole length.

I have a paint smear on my bullbar so I got off pretty lightly.

Score so far:

Other car - 0
Landy - 1
Me- -10 since it'll no doubt affect my insurance premium.

As a matter of urgency I'll be replacing the side mirrors on my vehicle, and where possible I'll avoid driving with the sides down.

Offline craigb

• THANKS 11
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2017, 08:34:17 AM »

There's no doubt about it, you can fit a lot of junk into a Landrover 110.