Author Topic: Removing rattlecan paint without damaging the original PUP too much...?  (Read 249 times)

Offline craigb

• THANKS 11
  • REMLR No: 488
Previous owner of the FFR painted it with a colourbond fence rattlecan paint. From what I can tell, it's been least two years since it was painted with this stuff and the rattlecan paint is chipping off in parts, so it's time to remove it. Ill probably end up painting the whole vehicle in the original Protec camouflage colours using enamel.

I've just confused myself searching for various solutions to remove the rattlecan paint which include: chemically stripping it back to bare metal, using acetone to remove it, using carb cleaner or oven cleaner on it (!), using graffiti remover on it which will apparently mostly preserve the original paint , wet and dry sanding it down, stripping it with a scotchbrite pad under running water from a hose in order to preserve the original paint. 

I don't want to mess around sanding through the original PUP paint since it's hazardous according to all the stickers. I'd rather leave the original finish as an undercoat and spray my enamel coats right over the top. The Protec enamel paint sticks really well, but if the colourbond fence paint underneath is just going to flake off ...

Has anyone successfully stripped off JUST a rattlecanned top coat, leaving the underlying paint mostly intact?

Also, will the enamel Protec paints go OK straight over the original polyurethane paint without priming?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 03:23:40 PM by craigb »
ARN 49-215 Truck, Utility, Lightweight, FFR, Winch, MC2 "Frankie" -1989
ARN 101-001 Trailer, Cargo, Ton, 2 Wheeled, Aust. No. 5 - 1963

Offline 303Gunner

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 105
  • REMLR No: 128
Re: Removing rattlecan paint without damaging the original PUP too much...?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 07:13:31 PM »
The Colourbond paint will be turps-based enamel, while the PUP beneath it will be Xylene/Toluene based 2 pack. Many solvents or cleaners will work better on removing the enamel than the 2 pack (ie the Graf remover or Acetone), but if the rattlecan paint is really that badly bonded, why not just try a high-pressure water washer? (A real HP washer, not a Soopacheap $99 mud-rinser)

There are other threads on prepping for painting over PUP,  but they essentially boil down to ensuring there is no dust to breathe, so wet sanding/wet cloths to wipe down and disposing of cloths while still damp into plastic bags. Personal Protective Equipment is a must, gloves, covered skin, mask.

Offline craigb

• THANKS 11
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 09:02:11 AM »
The Colourbond paint will be turps-based enamel, while the PUP beneath it will be Xylene/Toluene based 2 pack. Many solvents or cleaners will work better on removing the enamel than the 2 pack (ie the Graf remover or Acetone), but if the rattlecan paint is really that badly bonded, why not just try a high-pressure water washer? (A real HP washer, not a Soopacheap $99 mud-rinser)

There are other threads on prepping for painting over PUP,  but they essentially boil down to ensuring there is no dust to breathe, so wet sanding/wet cloths to wipe down and disposing of cloths while still damp into plastic bags. Personal Protective Equipment is a must, gloves, covered skin, mask.

Thanks for the reply 303Gunner,

I have a high powered pressure washer so I'll have a crack at it with that first. Acetone or graffiti remover will be Plan B so hopefully not too much sanding required. I have all the PPE here required for wet sanding the PUP if it comes to that.

Cheers

Offline craigb

• THANKS 11
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 07:58:26 PM »
I've had a good crack at one side of the vehicle this arvo with the Gerni.

There are some stubborn patches I'll have to hit with acetone, but the bulk of it came off pretty easily, leaving some OK original paint underneath. I'll do the other side tomorrow and post some pics.

Lofty plans to use the acetone on the stubborn bits were stymied by the horror of evaporation. I was applying the acetone with a paint brush, but I'll switch to leaving a rag soaked with the stuff up against the paint for a few minutes.

I initially tested out the acetone and the pressure washer on a jerrycan which had been painted with the same colourbond spray paint. It worked pretty well, with 99% of the unwanted spray paint coming right off.

Speaking of jerrycans. The rattlecanned one is an issue D/|\D jerrycan dated 1958 and under the colourbond spray paint it was red (almost a red oxide red) with the original bronze olive green paint underneath. I have seen a few of these red jerries on ebay over the past few years and wondered what sort of vehicle they are off? Fire tender? Pilbara Rgt RFSV?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 08:03:42 PM by craigb »