Author Topic: MAN Trucks  (Read 3914 times)

Offline juddy

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 62
    • www.landybitz.com.au
  • REMLR No: 352
MAN Trucks
« on: May 19, 2017, 11:29:42 AM »
Spotted around 150 at the port the other day, just come off the boat, lots of different variants plus up-armoured ones

1991 110 Truck Surveillance (RFSV), Winch MC2 *51-656*
2004 Truck, Carryall, Lightweight, Modified Military Special, With Winch, MC2/3 205-301, Haulmark PT1-1.2 *205090* No5 Trailer

Images © 2008-2017 J Burton

Offline juddy

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 62
    • www.landybitz.com.au
  • REMLR No: 352
Re: MAN Trucks
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 11:30:23 AM »

1991 110 Truck Surveillance (RFSV), Winch MC2 *51-656*
2004 Truck, Carryall, Lightweight, Modified Military Special, With Winch, MC2/3 205-301, Haulmark PT1-1.2 *205090* No5 Trailer

Images © 2008-2017 J Burton

Offline Welby

• THANKS 33
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 12:19:06 PM »
FMD !!!

pains me to see these on the wharf.

Local Truck & Car industry practically non existent, zero aus input, send the dollars overseas.

short term thinkin'   >:(

end rant  :-X

Offline dugite

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 103
  • REMLR No: 374
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 12:27:46 PM »
I'd expect a lot of people would echo that rant Welby
2a 109 114-341,
No.5 173-589,
W/S Platform 178-000,
PT1 204-796

Offline FFRMAN

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 211
  • REMLR No: 314
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 01:42:41 PM »
FMD !!!

pains me to see these on the wharf.

Local Truck & Car industry practically non existent, zero aus input, send the dollars overseas.

short term thinkin'   >:(

end rant  :-X

Well actual not quite right, although the base unit is O/S manufactured a lot of the components are made in Australia, eg a company I'm aware of has the contract to supply the canopies for the 3 years of delivery then the whole of life support after that.

so not as bad as you may think

http://www.trailermag.com.au/news/article/army-reloads-with-large-scale-transport-order?utm_source=CRT+News&utm_campaign=c618c4e371-CRT_News_19_5_2017&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e4236cba80-c618c4e371-60273621
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 02:05:53 PM by FFRMAN »
Lots...............
VMVC 251,

Offline john.k

• THANKS 29
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 02:31:14 PM »
WOW,the canopies.As the late Tom Burns MLA used to say."we will end up as "hewers of wood and carriers of water",(biblical reference).

Offline FFRMAN

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 211
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 02:44:22 PM »
WOW,the canopies.As the late Tom Burns MLA used to say."we will end up as "hewers of wood and carriers of water",(biblical reference).

I'm not good with sarcasm.

Canopies is one example but still multi-million dollar business............

Did you read the short article? the trailers are being made in Brisbane by Haulmark, heaps of other stuff happening here, finishing and assembly done here.........

in simple terms Australia does not have the capability to manufacture or support this type of platform and I'd much prefer our soldiers have the best equipment to work with in the field, whilst maximising the AIC (australian industry content) by procuring as much as practicable in country

I'm not defending anything but uninformed commentary doesn't help anyone
Lots...............
VMVC 251,

Offline GGG

• THANKS 33
  • REMLR No: 428
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 02:54:45 PM »
I think that what we are trying to say is that we should have the manufacturing capabilities and that over the years the pollies have dismantled them. It is fashionable to blame the unions who were not totally innocent of course but that was only a part of the problem. A wonderful example was the Victa Air Cruiser which was a development of the Victa Air Tourer an Australian designed and built light aircraft. Victa wanted some government assistance to produce it but after many years sold it to the Kiwis who produced it. The largest customer was the RAAF. THE CT4 trainer if you were wondering.
To their credit the present government is getting back into shipbuilding and copping criticism from some for their efforts.
End rant, Geoff.

Offline Welby

• THANKS 33
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 03:37:12 PM »

I'm not good with sarcasm.

Canopies is one example but still multi-million dollar business............

Did you read the short article? the trailers are being made in Brisbane by Haulmark, heaps of other stuff happening here, finishing and assembly done here.........

in simple terms Australia does not have the capability to manufacture or support this type of platform and I'd much prefer our soldiers have the best equipment to work with in the field, whilst maximising the AIC (australian industry content) by procuring as much as practicable in country

I'm not defending anything but uninformed commentary doesn't help anyone

I'm not uninformed and wish to take exception to your comments.

Firstly, Australian Companies have the capability, technology and plain ability to produce anything found anywhere else in the world. We have base resources and personnel to do anything needed. Australians have invented , designed and produced the most wonderful things over time.

why don't we have a working industry ? Can't comment. don't know, above my pay grade.

But I do know that a multimillion dollar canopy contract is pennies in dollars to a multibillion dollar truck order.

If we keep buying overseas, we keep losing local capability. We are an island. If we continue to source from overseas we continue to increase our sovereign risk.

I can offer some frontline experience thanks to the great gorgon project.

During pre tender stage, the company I worked for sought a particular line of service contract.
We had the capability to carry out the task on a smaller scale and with a large investment in upscaling equipment, we would have been able to carry out the contract sought ( remembering Gorgon was the largest project of its type at the time)
We worked our way up the procurement chain until we found the senior decision maker (UK Based)
He told us in no uncertain terms, that the contract would be in 3 tranches and no Australian company would be considered on their own. He said a multinational would be granted the contract and that the multinats where told they needed to partner with a local aus company to satisfy local content requirements imposed by the govt.

Now the company I worked for had a 14 year history providing services to remote regional areas. We had significant investment in personnel and were a local leader in indigenous recruitment and training before it was 'popular'.

An award winning local business.

Fast forward a few years, through our persistence and some overseas doorknocking, we partnered pre GFC with the worlds leading supplier of our services.  The tender for the Gorgon works was the largest i've ever worked on and was truly multi-million dollars in value.

During the GFC , Gorgon was looking to postpone its timetable, as many projects around the world suffered. The big company purchased our little minnow allowing the founders a graceful retirement during this financially devastating time.

The tender was won, in an Australian company name. The Australian Company now with European owners who manned the project senior roles. As the project ramped up, they closed the regional depots one by one moving the long term employed staff to the big project.
As soon as the project finished, the company was shut down. equipment sold off or moved overseas.

The company now does not exist.

no direct offense intended towards your post.

Offline FFRMAN

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 211
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 03:54:13 PM »
Welby,

If you removed the comment "Zero Aus Input" then I would agree with what you are saying, leaving that comment in is uninformed and misleading to people that have no exposure to this contract. There is considerable Aus input albeit only a small proportion of the overall contract but is significant to the SME's supplying their components and does directly employ people in Australia.

No different to the Gwagen, but the Hawkei is different and the commonwealth is support Aus industry on that one

regards
Lots...............
VMVC 251,

Offline AGAS 5

• THANKS 260
  • REMLR No: 218
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 06:19:48 PM »
I don't much like Aust vehicle manfacturing going off shore either, but....

In my experience, two to three times the acquisition cost for a Defence project is spent on sustainment throughout the life of type of the capability. The longer the life of type, the greater this cost.

Look up the acquisition cost of this project (LAND 121 Phase 3) and do the sums.... a large proportion of that money is being spent in Aust to support these vehicles. Real jobs for real Australians, over an extended period of time.

Cheers.
Series 2A SWB 113-300 VTF  6 RAR
Perentie FFR 49-390  1 MP BN
Perentie GS 50-087  5 RAR