Author Topic: 2-berth ambo vaccine cooler  (Read 2148 times)

Offline petervf

• THANKS 0
2-berth ambo vaccine cooler
« on: May 07, 2017, 11:07:22 AM »
In May 1966, I was attached to an infantry unit for an annual camp as a medical orderly. I was the RAP (apart from the ambo driver) until an RMO arrived. They had a 2-berth LR ambulance that looked well-made. In my Fld Ambulance unit, we had the 4-berth ambulances with soft springs. The reason for this post is that the 2-berth ambo had a Peltier effect 16-ampule container in army bronze green for keeping the tiger snake, tet tox, and other vaccines below 4 degC in the field. The size of the container was about 4 inch cube and was plugged into the vehicle's electrical circuit. It sat in the dash area. I moved to another corp and posting seven months later and never saw such a device again.  It did not look like a prototype; the container was made in aluminium with rounded corners, with no sign of seams, rivets, welding, or screws. Does anyone know anything more about this device?

Offline Phoenix

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 86
    • REMLR
  • REMLR No: 129
Re: 2-berth ambo vaccine cooler
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 03:36:12 PM »
The 2 berth ambulance is an odd one in itself as the only 2 berth ambulances are the froward area ambulances which are little more than a stretcher carrying SWB vehicle.  Even the prototypes (with by 66 had been converted to production standard) all had 4 berths.

That said, the box you describe sounds like the army hotbox / cooler boxes with other equipment installed within it.  Not sure if the scales are similar, however I have not struck this kind of device myself, some of the others may have.
REMLR Webmaster
Eden - 1961 Series 2 Ambulance, 108-098
1973 Army Moke, 25-764