Author Topic: British 1979 Series III 109 FFR generator problem/questions  (Read 93 times)

Offline Longshaor

• THANKS 0
Hi everyone,

New to the group here.  I'm in the process of restoring a 1979 Series III 109 FFR to how it appeared while serving with 10 Para (V) TA during 1982-1983 and I'm having some electrical problems.  I'd been driving her around locally for about 6 months when she had to go in the shop to have her brake system completely replaced.  When she came out I drove her home with no issues, drove her around locally a bit more, then took her out for a highway test.  Everything was fine up to about 50 mph.  At that point the orange generator warning light came on and became progressively brighter the faster I went (peaked at 57).

My initial thought on inspecting the engine compartment after having it towed home was that the generator belts were too loose and were slipping at speed.  I replaced the belts and tensioned them correctly, but the problem persists.  I've inspected the armoured cable that runs out of the generator and that appears to be in very good condition, so my working theory is the problem is somewhere IN the generator.  Having spoken to a few other Landy owners, it was suggested I check the brushes to make sure they're not dirty, which leads to a few questions:

1.  Is there a way to do this WITHOUT removing the generator?

2.  If not, how do I get this thing out?

3.  Is there anyone in the States who rebuilds these things?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Richard Farrant

• THANKS 29
Re: British 1979 Series III 109 FFR generator problem/questions
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 07:21:58 AM »
  Having spoken to a few other Landy owners, it was suggested I check the brushes to make sure they're not dirty, which leads to a few questions:

1.  Is there a way to do this WITHOUT removing the generator?

2.  If not, how do I get this thing out?

3.  Is there anyone in the States who rebuilds these things?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,
I worked on no end of the British Army vehicles when they were 'in service' but  on the mechanical side as we had dedicated electricians in workshops. The following link is to a document on the 90A Generator systems (as fitted to your Rover)researched and written by a very knowledgeable enthusiast in the UK, Clive Elliott and it is written in an easy to read way. Clive has picked up on errors in the technical publications as well. This document is on Dropbox and just click 'agree' to view it;
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y7yr2jjujgxuldo/ALL%20CHARGED%20UP%204%20ver4-2.1.pdf?dl=0

regards, Richard