Author Topic: Removing rear spring pack  (Read 2814 times)

Offline dkg001

• THANKS 27
Removing rear spring pack
« on: February 26, 2017, 12:13:07 PM »
Does anyone know how to remove the rear spring packs?  The third photo shows a modified tool which I would expect to turn counter clockwise to remove the holder and bearings, but I can't get any movement, despite the lock washer being clear.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 12:30:35 PM by dkg001 »

Offline Ravvin

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 61
  • REMLR No: 432
Re: Removing rear spring pack
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 03:11:03 PM »
Hi.
I just checked, and that is supposed to have the outer cover (16), a gasket (15)  a nut (not shown), then a washer, 17 outer tabs and 1 inner  (not shown), then a bearing (14). That fits into the cast housing (13), which the spring is connected to. Behind that is another bearing (14), tabbed washer, 17 outer tabs and 1 inner  (not shown) and a seal (12). It all mounts on what looks like a stub axle.

I'd guess that once the nut and front lock washer is removed, you could slide the whole spring/cast housing/inner and outer bearing off the stub axle.
Maybe try a big 3 arm puller? It definitely slides off the stub axle.

I checked the manual and the original bearings are 2 piece units.
The description is "cup, tapered roller bearing, single row, 0.125" by 5.375" by 0.875" O/A W."
"cone & rollers, tapered roller bearing, single row, straight bore, 3.3750" bore by 1.1750" LG"

The seal was one of the leather type. 4.125" shaft size by 5 1/2" bore dia by 9/16" W.

Hope this helps.

Greg.

Offline dkg001

• THANKS 27
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 03:37:47 PM »
Thanks Greg,

I think the problem is the outer threaded holder has been stripped and somebody's solution was to weld it to the shaft, if you look at photo 2( first post) you can see the welds, looks like I have some delicate grinding to do. This photo shows it more clearly, the following 2 photos show same problem on other side
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 04:04:35 PM by dkg001 »

Offline john.k

• THANKS 29
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 10:03:40 PM »
Looks like the weld has cracked most of the way around.If you split the nut with a cold chisel,it will probably break the rest of the weld and fall off.If you dont have a spare dead axle[all my chassis stuff went in the scrap about two years ago when the council first got onto me.],you will have to turn yours a bit smaller to clean up the thread and make a nut to suit.It might just be possible to recut the thread with with a custom made die,without taking the dead axle from the brackets.This kind of bodge is quite common on old Macks with camelback suspension.Regards John.

Offline 303Gunner

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 128
  • REMLR No: 128
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 06:48:22 AM »
If it's the spring pack you want to remove, wouldn't you support the chassis to take the spring tension off the axles, then undo the U-Bolts holding the spring pack to the rocker casting? Or is it actually the rocker that you want to get off to service the bearing and seals?

Offline dkg001

• THANKS 27
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 10:34:11 AM »
Thanks to all, both springs now removed, the problem was the bearing retaining holder welded to the shaft I didn't initially notice the welds as the assembly was covered in grease.

Offline john.k

• THANKS 29
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 09:52:50 PM »
Its a pretty feeble setup on the Acco s.The usual way is to have a split nut with a clamping bolt to make sure the threads dont flog out.There is alot of twisting load on the saddle when the truck turns sharply.Macks have 1" U bolts done up to around 1200 ft lbs,and they still work loose.I should say used to,as steel springs are now a thing of the past.Roller bearings arent used either ,because the races indent ,usual fitting is a bronze bush,or a bonded rubber bearing.Regards John.