Author Topic: Command Recon questions  (Read 693 times)

Offline Steve269

• THANKS 2
Command Recon questions
« on: August 16, 2016, 01:07:10 AM »
Series 2 Command Recon questions

I've been doing a little amiteur investigation work on my Command Recon 110-436. I have a few unanswered questions I'm hoping someone may have answers for. I've learned a lot these past few weeks while dismantling the chassis, the following are questions that have me stumped, there is only so much Google can tell you and that must be taken with a pinch of salt.

1. Going by the paint layers on 110-436, the 4 layers of paint are DBG, White, DBG then OD.
My question is was their any reason it would have been painted White? Were Aussie army Land Rovers used for UN or any other peace keeping type rolls between 1959 and 1965? Or was it likely to have been painted white in service for any other reason? The only reference I have been able to find where Aussie UN peace keepers are using an 88" series 2 was in Cyprus in 1964 and it appeared to be a British vehicle that was painted with Australian markings going by the smaller tyres, front bumper over riders and BW disk mounted on the right hand side guard.

2. The 5 holes in the forward most cross member all have bolts in them, I understand this is where the forward PTO driven winch was fitted. If it was fitted with a winch in service would it have most likely been a capstan winch or drum winch? And is it likely the winch was removed before its disposal? The engine has the crank handle dog fitted.

3. Going by the paint over spray layers on the petrol tank it would appear the deep skirts were removed before the White paint was applied. Is this likely to have been done if it was used for such duties as UN work or is it more likely they were damaged and removed?

4. At the rear of the chassis where the pintle hook mounts there has been a stiffener plate welded over, it looks to have been done in service as the paint layers support this theory. The plate and the welds attaching it are horrible to say the least, is it likely this was done in the field? Did the Army accept such sloppy work in its work shops? Has anyone else seen similar repairs to other vehicles?

Any info that sheds some light on these questions is greatly appreciated.

Steve
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 08:14:24 AM by Steve269 »

Offline Mick_Marsh

• Veteran
  • THANKS 88
  • REMLR No: 310
Re: Command Recon questions
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 10:03:21 AM »
The Australian Federal Police that were in Cyprus did use UK lightweight Landrovers supplied by the British. One is in the Australian Federal Police museum in Canberra I believe.
REMLR # 310, MVCA # 364, 101 Club # 2188, MHG #101
29-417 101 GS, 30-248 101 Rapier Tractor. 30-238 101
34-597 Crump & Cornish 1 ton Cargo Trailer
RT21 RAAF Track Tactical Trailer, 234-671 RAAF Track Tactical Trailer

Offline Steve269

• THANKS 2
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 10:45:46 AM »
Thanks Mick, I did coma across the AFP museum and the light weight they have. The AWM also have some photos in their collection with a normal British series 2 with kangaroos painted on it.

Steve

Online AGAS 5

• THANKS 241
  • REMLR No: 218
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 03:19:30 PM »
Other UN Operations Australia contributed to around the time of the Series 2 were:

UNMGIP - Kashmir
UNCMAC - Korea
UNTSO - Israel
ONUC - Congo
UNTEA - Western New Guinea

I think the Kashmir and Israel would have been more likely to require vehicle support due to the size of our contribution.... but that is just a guess.

Mike Cecil might know more ....

Cheers,

Pete
Series 2A SWB 113-300 VTF
Perentie GS 50087

Offline DennisM

• THANKS 224
  • REMLR No: 70
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 08:33:38 PM »
The White paint was applied to all S2 C/R's the ends of the back X member were painted,

and re-done later

the lower half of the fuel tank was painted

as others have said the AFP borrowed vehicles from other countries when over in that part of the world.
The 5 holes you mentioned were most likely the bolt mounting point for a Capstan winch, which has been removed and a cranking dog put back on the engine, just in case, but the winch is useless without the driving dog, just as the engine can't be hand cranked if the driving dog for the winch is still fitted.
I'm not familiar with what you mention re the stiffening plate at the rear, ? do you have an image you can share with us, cheers Dennis

Offline Steve269

• THANKS 2
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 11:07:11 PM »
Hi Dennis, thanks for your reply.
I was not aware of the tank bottoms being white, the ends of the rear cross members makes sense for black out, on the subject of black out markings it apeers my rear dif was never painted white as there is no evidence of white paint on it.
The thing is the entire truck looks to have been painted white, there is white showing through on the entire rear cross member, doors, bonnet, windscreen frame, tail gate, bulk head and seat box. The tub was not included in the sale so I can't say if it has the layer of white or not.
At first I thought nothing of it as it looked as though it may have been painted white post retirement from the Army, but when sanding back the layers it's the second layer after the first coat of Deep Bronze Green.

I don't have a good photo of the stiffner plate but you can see the edges of it in some of the photos of the white on the rear cross member, I'll post a better photo of it later.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 11:17:39 PM by Steve269 »

Offline Steve269

• THANKS 2
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 08:44:56 PM »
Pictures of the stiffener plate as follows

Access and light conditions not the best for photographing

Steve

Offline corro

• THANKS 0
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 08:18:37 PM »
hi Steve my old recon series 2 is the same multiple coates of paint including white