Author Topic: Perentie/4BD1 FULL Engine Rad Flush  (Read 6398 times)

Offline dan2090

• THANKS 1
Perentie/4BD1 FULL Engine Rad Flush
« on: July 18, 2016, 12:22:25 PM »
Ok, I've been vexed by this for some time. I want to do a FULL engine flush of water and coolant. There a procedure for refilling, see [1] below, but it only drop water/coolant from the radiator. I want to also flush water/coolant from the engine. Any tips or tricks? After measuring I reckon there's 3-4litres on dirty fluid left in the block.

[1] Engine Fill procedure ("EMEI Vehicle G 103 Unit Repair" p13) Coolant para 23.
Refilling Procedure
a. Remove the brass filler plug from the thermostat housing as shown in Fig. 22.
b. Remove the expansion tank pressure cap and move the heater controls to the highest temperature position.
c. Using coolant with a mixture concentration of 5% Alfloc 2001, top-up the system through the filler hole, then install the plug.
d. With the pressure cap removed, run the engine for a minimum of two minutes.
e. Stop the engine and remove the plug from the thermostat housing. Top-up as required and replace the plug.
f. Fill the expansion tank to the correct level and replace the cap.
g. Run the engine and check for leaks.

Offline ashleylipus

• THANKS 11
Re: Perentie/4BD1 FULL Engine Rad Flush
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 12:25:56 PM »
I know on other cars ive owned there has been a drain plug on the side of the block somewhere. You can also take thermostat out and removr top and bottom hoses and flush water threw top hose and out bottom hose. Or fill several times and drain from side of block if there is a plug.

Offline ashleylipus

• THANKS 11
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 12:28:35 PM »
With your radiator you should flush in reverse of normal coolant flow and have the radiator turned so that the water drains from the bottom and any crap flows out.

Offline Sixty

• THANKS 77
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 07:26:58 PM »
Remove the thermostat, and use a high pressure hose to flush the engine and radiator both directions.
RoyalAustralianEasyMoneyEarner!

Al

Offline dan2090

• THANKS 1
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 02:10:33 PM »
Ok so to be clear:

-Undo bottom hose (drop Rad water)
-Undo Top Filler Plug/Remove Thermostat
-Fill with hose thu top filler
-For "Reverse Flush" block Rad bottom hose (flushes thru engine)

Make sense? Approved?

Offline P6X6

• THANKS 25
  • REMLR No: 445
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 02:28:30 PM »
Yes, but your better off to fully remove the radiator from the vehicle, it's so easy on these vehicles and to can turn it around, shake it, do what you want.
You can also use coolant flush products. Water and a non foaming detergent (like finish) work well too :)
6X6 Air Defence 9/1990 ARN 51867
6X6 Infantry Carrier 11/199 ARN 202238
4X4 RFSV 6/1991 ARN 51673
No.5 half tonne ARN 101525 & PT2-2 11/2001 ARN 203941

Offline ashleylipus

• THANKS 11
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 02:45:52 PM »
Yeah as p6x6 says its good to run a flush product threw to help loosten any gunk. Remove radiator and turn upside down. Flush from top to bottom (reverse of flow) same for your engine.  Definitely flush radiator and engine individually. You dont want to flush debris from the engine into your radiator or vise versa.. Spray some truckwash or something on the front and back, let it soak and pressure wash the fins to remove any muck from the faces of the radiator. Any build up around these fins lowers the amount of heat the radiator can radiate.. While you have it all our you should test your thermostat in some water on the stovetop. Easy to find instructions on the web. Even take a good look at your overflow bottle cap, they can seize and also deteriorate and release coolant too easily. 

Offline ozeraser

• THANKS 2
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 10:13:43 PM »
Gday guys, I know this is a bit of a old post just thought i would add to this topic, On my 4BD1 NA, I did a flush of the engine and the radiator. I pulled the lower hose off and drained the tank and most of the engine, then i pulled the bypass hose from the thermostat housing and ran a hose through that both forward and backward. I then put an actual flush kit through BUT i had an air lock in the system and I ended up pulling the bypass host off and putting water down it to force the air out, then it ran fine, I also for good measure removed the water temp sensor to let more air out. Obviously if your heater or temp sensor isn't climbing after 5 minutes its either freezing outside or no water.

Offline 303Gunner

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 128
  • REMLR No: 128
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 10:33:33 PM »
There is also a water jacket drain plug on the left side of the block to drain the engine of coolant.

Offline ozeraser

• THANKS 2
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 11:45:34 AM »
There is also a water jacket drain plug on the left side of the block to drain the engine of coolant.

I am going to go have a look for that. Thanks.

Offline dan2090

• THANKS 1
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2021, 03:20:31 PM »
@303Gunner do you have a picture of the water jacket plug on the block? Very useful if so. Only taken 5 years to find on mine. Thx

Offline dan2090

• THANKS 1
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2021, 04:00:57 PM »
Got it - see picture of coolant drain plug on the block, as noted above, located on the right side of the engine just above where the oil filter housing bolted to the block.