Author Topic: Perentie Long Range Camping Vehicle - LRCV  (Read 101413 times)

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
  • REMLR No: 007
Re: Perentie Long Range Camping Vehicle - LRCV
« Reply #195 on: June 08, 2018, 08:27:47 PM »

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #196 on: June 10, 2018, 07:50:59 PM »
Well Sunday arrived and some clear skies with it. Wayne and I got stuck in. Stevie was also very busy on his FFR 50-169 fitting a console, a battery isolator, UHF etc... so it looked and sounded like a workshop most of the day.

The rocksliders were fitted up to see where we needed to adjust the mounting holes. The rear mounts were no problem but once we had the rear bolts on things were sloping downward at the front mount so we had to modify the front bolt hole on the mount tab. It needed nibbling out and rat tailing to enable the slider to sit aligned horizontally with the body panels toward the front. See photo attachment "G".

Each slider has:

[front] single mount below the side of the firewall (the panel the door hinges swing off) and its mounted using the firewall-to-chassis long bolt (need size 19 metric socket or ring spanners).. See photo attachment "E".

[rear] twin bolt mount up flush on the side of the chassis outrigger. See photo attachments "F", "H".

The rear mount also has a laser cut shape looking like a capital letter "L" which you will see in the following photos. Its purpose is to accommodate the part of a body support mount that sits out about 10mm proud of the outrigger. See photo attachments "I", "J", "K".

Also to be noted is that the sliders fit a GS model much more simply than a FFR.
The hassle on the FFR is the lid for the Aux Battery Locker on each side of the Perentie.
Rick at Kingpin said that one FFR has deleted the hinge from the lower side of the lid and then employed more budget locks on the sides. This problem is where we have to do some thinking about alternatives and we'll deal with it later.

The sliders do not protect the fuel tank on the driver's side or the exhaust muffler on the passenger side. I see the purpose of these "sill bars" as being to protect the body from trackside stumps, boulders or logs in slippery muddy conditions or the like where the vehicle slides sideways due to off camber roads or drains etc.

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #197 on: June 10, 2018, 07:53:07 PM »
In the last photo is the Perentie wearing the sliders (albeit temporarily in black paint).

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 65
  • REMLR No: 482
« Reply #198 on: June 11, 2018, 05:08:57 PM »
Good post Ross - interesting and informative.
Frank

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #199 on: June 11, 2018, 06:43:48 PM »
Good post Ross - interesting and informative. Frank

Thx Frank.
Another part of the "Slider" function is to enable jacking to change a tyre etc. The slider RHS is 4mm thick. I sent a horrible basic diagram photo on my phone to Rick B.'s phone at Kingpin and spoke with him about the idea of spreading the stress from jacking over a longer length of the slider bar.

[cue drum roll]
          Baddabing! Here's the prototype "Kingpin Jack Channel". It will need some rubber inner tube scrap in the channel to grip the bar and a hitch pin to secure it to the Hi Lift tongue I think. I will test it and see. (It came raw and then I primed it and sprayed it.)

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 65
  • REMLR No: 482
« Reply #200 on: June 12, 2018, 11:29:13 AM »
Great Idea ----- AGAIN!!  Ross - top work that man!    Frank

Offline David

• THANKS 19
  • REMLR No: 478
« Reply #201 on: June 12, 2018, 03:29:43 PM »
From the photos the FFR has the high-lift lifting points on the bull bar, does it have the same at the back like the RFSV does on the jerry holder/tyre carrier.
Whilst a great idea, if it does have existing points why would you need more on the slider, do you expect it to be more stable/safe?
I use the existing standard army lift points to change my tyres on my RFSV and love the fact they have a pin that goes through the jack and the mount point on the vehicle so the jack can not fall out when lifting.
Land Rover Perentie RFSV 50.417

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #202 on: June 12, 2018, 04:09:02 PM »
Hi David, I don't have the rear sockets as per the proper RFSV. The front sockets do not have the 'safety pin' and with diesel at 1.60 per litre I am thinking of cutting some weight, maybe stashing the front bar at first and refitting the lighter coathanger.

Offline dugite

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 103
  • REMLR No: 374
« Reply #203 on: June 12, 2018, 04:43:12 PM »
I use the existing standard army lift points to change my tyres on my RFSV and love the fact they have a pin that goes through the jack and the mount point on the vehicle so the jack can not fall out when lifting.

Mine did not come with any pins but I made up four as per the pic and they can be left in place if required
2a 109 114-341,
No.5 173-589,
W/S Platform 178-000,
PT1 204-796

Offline Calvinmiddle

• THANKS 0
« Reply #204 on: June 13, 2018, 07:37:54 AM »
Also to be noted is that the sliders fit a GS model much more simply than a FFR.
The hassle on the FFR is the lid for the Aux Battery Locker on each side of the Perentie.
Rick at Kingpin said that one FFR has deleted the hinge from the lower side of the lid and then employed more budget locks on the sides. This problem is where we have to do some thinking about alternatives and we'll deal with it later.

I’m interested to see your solution to this, I asked him about what to do on FFRs and he explained the same, put he said he dint have any pictures to see what it looks like.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 07:39:36 AM by Calvinmiddle »

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #205 on: July 25, 2018, 02:00:37 PM »
The panels have easy-of-hand-tool access for each side of the lockers, not the top or the lower edge. Looking at options, I will remove the original piano hinge and install overctr clamps on each side. Simples. (crosses fingers). Took some pics today after green and tan were applied as I was painting other items the same day.

In the photos... as intended, the sliders don't stick out too much.

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #206 on: July 25, 2018, 04:55:05 PM »
Trial for the "Kingpin Jack Channel" on the slider. Admittedly its a cement base, its not off road, but its a start. So far, so good.

Offline Philthy

• THANKS 71
  • REMLR No: 425
« Reply #207 on: July 27, 2018, 06:50:34 AM »
What a great idea Ross well thought out and made. Well done. Phil

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #208 on: July 30, 2018, 12:34:45 PM »
Putting aside the Aux Batt. Locker Lid issue for a week or more and getting on with another mod - fitting Jason's set of double rear jerrycan holders that a based on the original RFSV design.

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #209 on: July 30, 2018, 01:14:26 PM »
Here is Jason's CAD plan for the repro Twin Jerry Holders. There was a hiccup in the first 10 of the production run as the passenger side jerry holders' chassis/tub crossmember bolthole bias backplate welded in the same as the driver side bolthole bias. The first run of repro twin jerry holder sets were dip galvanised. Jason did a second production run with the backplate correctly turned around for the correct passenger side bias and these sets were electroplated zinc.

I have etch painted and painted a passenger side electroplated twin holder and fitted it up yesterday to check the mounts and its fine. Before I properly install it ....I will fit the rubber buffers (which I do not have at the moment). (Then I have to install the top pieces with the stay/hook from between the jerrycans that connects using a U shaped bracket to the rear of the tub in the same real estate as the footman loops for the canopy. This piece is also etched and painted).

The first step was to remove the single jerry holder.
- remove the 3 bolts holding the mudflap and the horizontal metal loom protector between the mudflap and the rear crossmember.
- remove the 2 nuts and bolts from the rear combo tail-light. The loom protector plate can now come off (and a whole lots of gravel and dirt with it).
- remove the rear combo tail-light to be able to access the 2 bolts on the outside of the jerry holder near the end of the exhaust pipe. Loom involved has some slack but the bullet connector has to be unplugged. Good time to examine the bullet internals and maybe electro lube them too.
- remove the side bolts (13mm) and the twin chassis/tub crossmember bolts (13mm). No corrosion seen at all on these. Beaut!

Does the single jerry holder now fall off? Nope, there is still a metal thread phillips head number 2 screw and nylock nut (10mm) which is in a hole in the floor/base of the jerry holder and goes thru a small hole to the top of the rear (arched) airlift swing down tongue. Now this was a hassle. The phillips head was soft and mostly stuffed after 28 years and wasted about 20minutes and some WD40 before it was off using small multi-grips and a 10mm socket on a small extension piece.

Once the single was off I offered up the twin holder and checked the fit. All good.

The question is now whether to bother drilling a hole in the base of the new set of twin holders - because Jason's repro holders do not have the hole for the metal thread screw or the counter-sunk room for the phillips head for that matter. The original Mk1 RFSV twin holders do have the hole and it is countersunk to get the screw head out of the way of the base of a jerrycan. I know because I also have one of those original twin holders.

Here is a picset of the small screw/bolt in question. (In this example picset from the forum there is a hex head small bolt used).

Thinking about it I surmise it is to prevent a rattle between the holders and the airlift chassis bit. A rubber insert would not be an alternative here. So I will get a countersunk hole sorted.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 01:16:49 PM by Carzee »