Author Topic: Heard something interesting...  (Read 1663 times)

Offline korg20000bc

• THANKS 16
  • REMLR No: 301
Heard something interesting...
« on: August 05, 2012, 07:36:52 PM »
I heard something that might be interesting for someone in Sydney to chase up.
Someone who shoots full bore targets at Malabar said that the caretaker told him that there were still Land Rover parts on site from when it was a Army property.  He didn't go into further details.

It may be a treasure trove.
Your name will also go on zee list!

Offline DennisM

• THANKS 249
  • REMLR No: 70
Re: Heard something interesting...
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 04:07:01 PM »
That would be absolute B/S, cheers Dennis
Ps many years ago (40 odd) we heard similar stories of Land Rovers being used as range targets at Singleton NSW, but we were never able to prove or disprove the claim, but Malabar was as you said "full bore" shooting, the last time I was there was around 1972 and I saw no wrecked Land Rovers etc,,.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 04:11:36 PM by DennisM »

Offline korg20000bc

• THANKS 16
  • REMLR No: 301
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 10:10:50 PM »
Well, I didn't make it up or anything.
But he didn't say wrecked land rovers but stored parts in outbuildings.   
Sorry if it upset you.
Your name will also go on zee list!

Tommy

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 12:22:39 AM »
Sounds like a similar story to this one Korg.

A number of ex army S3s were found sitting out in the bush somewhere on the east coast. Photos of them were posted on the old forum. If I'm not mistaken, they were used for explosives practice by the army and then left to rot. The remains were relatively complete.

Your info may be worth checking out :)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 12:37:36 AM by Tommy »

Offline Phoenix

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 85
    • REMLR
  • REMLR No: 129
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 08:39:14 AM »
Sometimes these stories do end up being true you know!!!

Stuart, those photos are on REMLR and were of vehicles used for mine testing
http://www.remlr.com/S3mine.html

But then I've heard far wilder stories form people who truely believe them to be true, like Crated new Tiger Moths in tunnels in the hills behind the old valleyfield aerodrome.  However as I said, they are true sometimes, recently some hurricanes I think it was were discovered where they had been buried in their crates.  Must look up that story again for a progress report.
REMLR Webmaster
Eden - 1961 Series 2 Ambulance, 108-098

Offline DennisM

• THANKS 249
  • REMLR No: 70
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 03:31:53 PM »
Korg! mate you didn't upset me at all, it's just the range in question could not possibly have any stored Land Rover parts, just look at the clubs that use the site, here is a link http://www.nswra.org.au/pages/Malabar-Range.html
I had a mate who used to work on contract to the military about 10 years ago, he checked the computer listings for old NSN's, most of the NSN numbers as used on Series 2/2A Land Rovers had all been allocated to later model vehicles or other items.
Now back to the range, with all those associated clubs etc, if there were any items ex stock L/rover parts don't you think that people who knew people with L/rovers would have snapped them long ago, and from memory (and I could be mistaken) the range was never an established base like Holsworthy/Singleton etc.
On the range at Singleton I was told that they did use accident damaged write off's (Land Rovers) as range targets back in the 60's, so if there is anything at Singleton it ain't worth bothering about, anyway cheers Dennis