Author Topic: Perentie engine driven air compressors  (Read 2593 times)

Offline enginedrivenman

• THANKS 1
Perentie engine driven air compressors
« on: June 03, 2015, 04:47:31 PM »
Hi  Lloyd Prentice a REMLR member suggested I post a link here as he found us on line.  I bought the business that supplied rover with the engine driven air compressors used on the Perentie.  the previous owner designed and supplied the batch for the 88 build and we redesigned the whole unit for ffitment to the 98 batch.  There appears to be a few misconceptions regarding the history and technical variations for this range of equipment.  I could write several books on what happened and why suffice to say several brown paper bags changed hands.  The army selected the original engine driven unit because it inflated tyres at about 20 times the rate of electric units. The trick is in the power.  Compressors can only convert the energy that runs them into compressed air.  No energy no air.  Electric compressors would be lucky to generate o.2 HP tops whereas if you drive them off the engine the power is linked to the size of the pump.  100HP engine driving (say) an 8CFM unit could pull 6 HP which is 30 times more air.  We had a case where one tag along tour operator did 17 vehicles in the same time one guy did his own with an electric unit.  So you can see why the ARMY were impressed.  I could go on.

Offline Philthy

• THANKS 71
  • REMLR No: 425
Re: Perentie engine driven air compressors
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 05:27:31 PM »
Welcome mate.

Ok here we go some questions shot from the hip.

Do you have a website/contact?

Can you post a link = electronic part number reference diagram?

Do you recondition/exchange them?

Serviceing of the unit and maintenance requirements?

Do you sell to the public?

Are your units installed in the new Mercís?

Look forward to your reply and thanks for making contact here.

Cheers Phil.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 05:30:38 PM by Philthy »

Offline BadCo.

• THANKS 22
  • REMLR No: 429
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 06:49:29 PM »
Welcome mate.

Cheers Phil.

Phil, read this thread before you get to excited.

http://remlr.com/forum/index.php?topic=2560.0
1988 Land Rover 110 Perentie Personnel Carryall 48-369
Remlr 429

Offline Philthy

• THANKS 71
  • REMLR No: 425
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 08:09:58 PM »
Welcome mate.

Cheers Phil.

Phil, read this thread before you get to excited.

http://remlr.com/forum/index.php?topic=2560.0

Thanks might keep looking. Many moons ago I had a chance to view a pro shooters 4x4. They worked along the dog fence in SA desert. In a bad night they would get over 10 flats and a good one next to none. Anyway one of the things that stuck with me was how they inflated the tyres. They had a compressor off a any old workshop compressor bolted to the top of the guard and kept the belt off unless being used. It was then attached over a spare crank pulley and the compressor pulley and then pulled tight by a simple pulley leaver, kept in place by a series of holes. So simple.

I might look at doing the same but keep it under the bonnet. The main advantage is price/simple and it wont sap power driving.

Thanks for the heads up  ;)

Phil

Offline enginedrivenman

• THANKS 1
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 11:52:29 AM »
Phil,  Sorry for the delay I didnt have the signal in my head to inspect the forum for replies.  I suppose I'm a bit taken back by the interest in original spec for the Perenties.  Happy to answer all and ever question. I will cover all your questions and try and expand it a bit ifspace allows.  See http;//rockford4x4.com.  Its set up initially as a narative describing the markets that the army compressor dragged us into...ie using 4x4 vehicles in industrial applications.  As design engineers nothing stops us.  So when we realised we had been conned buying the business most normal people would have just walked away.  Silly me said "oh its simple, we'll redesign the unit and design out all the flaws"  Hell it nearly killed me and cost me almost 7 figures. If havnt put the green unit the army settled on on line because (as previosly discusssed) i would have to do a full production run to get the unit cost down to an acceptable level...but could if theres the demand.  Actually I only put it on the web site to show what can be done. 3) spares.  We are not set up to service and reco units but i have some spares. 4) servicing and maintenance not yet but would depend on the numbers 5) Sell to the public.  Our NATO certification does not control the customer base so we sell to whoever we wish so yes we can sell to the public in fact we hope to change our web site to start marketing low key gear to start 6) The germans know everything did you hear that :) so for them to agree to fit stuff designed here wouldnt fly.  Useless info no 69 - The army liked the manual clutch because it would still work after a nuclear attach which knocks out all electrics.