Author Topic: unusual rear jerry can mount  (Read 2276 times)

Offline 2short

• THANKS 41
  • REMLR No: 471
unusual rear jerry can mount
« on: April 17, 2015, 05:38:43 PM »
Anyone seen this before? Looks original.

Offline GGG

• THANKS 33
  • REMLR No: 428
Re: unusual rear jerry can mount
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 07:11:46 PM »
I have never seen one like that but that doesn't mean much. I know from experience that Series 2 tailgates don't take a lot of abuse which is probably why the threes have a steel one rather than aluminium. "I'll show you how strong I am by closing the tailgate with 40 litres of fuel attached......"
Geoff.

Offline Mick

• Veteran
  • THANKS 176
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 08:57:36 PM »
I have seen similar brackets but on No.5 trailers. I remember the ASM at 1RAR go "Ape" over them being fitted without RAEME approval.

Mick

Offline Tommy

• THANKS 72
  • REMLR No: 209
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 09:02:35 PM »
Check out the scone cutter bumperettes. They have been modified so that the tailgate can be lowered with the jerry cans in place. Carrier is professionally made. Olive Drab paint matches the vehicle perfectly. Looks legit to me.

The only thing that may suggest that the jerry can holder was not originally built for the Land Rover tailgate is the lower bracket with three bolt holes in it. The tailgate only uses the central hole and cannot utilise the outer ones. If you look closely at the outer holes, they appear to have an imprint of a flat washer. This would suggest that the holder was originally mounted to something else.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 09:18:39 PM by Tommy »

Offline Phoenix

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 86
    • REMLR
  • REMLR No: 129
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 10:18:34 AM »
I have seen that somewhere before, maybe the same vehicle.  Not sure about the army thing though, seems a little too heavy duty if you know what I mean, too much weight.
REMLR Webmaster
Eden - 1961 Series 2 Ambulance, 108-098
1973 Army Moke, 25-764