Author Topic: Wiki page help desk  (Read 17063 times)

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
  • REMLR No: 007
Wiki page help desk
« on: April 17, 2015, 09:13:00 AM »
Just to help members get the ball rolling... press the buzzer on the counter for help building a shed aka album.

Soon there will be a number of people on the help desk but at the moment there are two. I reckon the more people we help the more there will be on the help desk because once you know how its straightforward stuff.

Frequently asked questions.

*how much does it cost and do you take cheques?

There's no cost, you could just give it a thought when Legacy week comes around and buy an extra badge or something.

*can you fix typos or incorrect photo descriptions or dates?

Yes, PM me or Richard.

*What sort of photos? Any hints?

Well the first thing to think about is that some pics are yours to post up and others are not because they belong to someone else. Copyright. Once upon a time the internet was a free-for-all because it wasn't very important. But now everything on the net is "important".

Secondly be aware that some people don't like their family or their face on the internet. Fair enough, its their choice. Always ask, some people want to be on the internet.

I think most REMLR members have the right idea already; when we go to events like Corowa we photograph the vehicles and generally leave people out (or try to at least) ands respect people's privacy "by default''. Someone may surprise you and ask you to wait until they can stand by their vehicle or get in the photo and thats fine, its their choice. At a party or a social its also okay because that's what people can "reasonably expect", but keep in mind the following; when I was a mad keen photographer we were taught to bin any pic that was "unflattering", its a courtesy and its good business and good business pays the bills while bad business breaks lenses. (This could be the reason Wedding and Portrait photography is considered such a skill and so stressful as an occupation).

Offline Phoenix

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 86
    • REMLR
  • REMLR No: 129
Re: Wiki page help desk
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 10:27:55 AM »
actually I think there are 7 users currently amongst the spambots.  And wedding photography isn't that bad! (well not down here anyway)
REMLR Webmaster
Eden - 1961 Series 2 Ambulance, 108-098
1973 Army Moke, 25-764

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 10:43:21 AM »
Well I hope to expand the template interface and give screenshots as illustrations today.

Offline Paul Britton

• THANKS 10
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 01:56:32 PM »

Happy to help if you need a hand...

Paul
---

1991 110 Truck Surveillance (RFSV), Winch MC2 *51-652*

Offline Trraca

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 11
    • Trraca's Shed
  • REMLR No: 411
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 04:11:57 PM »
I'm sure you realise that I'm also happy to help wherever I am able.
Cheers,  Mike

Perentie GS,1988 * 48-206 *
Work vehicles (Gone long ago):a Series 1, several Series IIAs, a 101FC GS and a Haflinger

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 04:15:45 PM »
Hi Paul, Hi Mike, please if you have some spare time it would be good. Its wide open to transfer existing sheds off the main website and event galleries too or do something new from your own albums. We could do with a shed template version with a data summary for the Inters, as they are higher numbers than a lot of other trucks.

I've got give it a rest. Son's lost the sump off the ford in a carpark somehow.

cheers

Offline Trraca

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 11
    • Trraca's Shed
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 04:28:13 PM »
Hi Ross

I don't know much about Inters so I'll have a browse through the existing Sheds and Events. Presumably I would need to get the Shed owner's OK to translate their stuff?

Maybe you need to set up a Ford Restoration Shed LOL.
Cheers,  Mike

Work vehicles (Gone long ago):a Series 1, several Series IIAs, a 101FC GS and a Haflinger

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 06:25:25 PM »
Falcon false alarm, but he did throw in 4l bottle of Woolies oil, now its 5inches above the full mark on the stick. Sigh.

Permission for the sheds that already exist on the remlr.com main pages are okay to do, as are all the events such as ANZAC Marches and Corowa etc. Just put the event and year first in the photo names.

cheers and thx all.

Offline Phoenix

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 86
    • REMLR
  • REMLR No: 129
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 10:15:46 AM »
Beat me too it, anything on the existing remlr website is ok to carry over, the only exception is one ambulance page that the owner asked me to pull down, which shouldn't be available or visible. 

Most of the tevent galleries have hte wording there already, but need the photos transferred.
REMLR Webmaster
Eden - 1961 Series 2 Ambulance, 108-098
1973 Army Moke, 25-764

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 10:46:50 AM »
I will do the DM ANZAC Day Cessnock event pages as I have so many pics of the parades and understand why some years there was hardly any photos.

Offline Trraca

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 11
    • Trraca's Shed
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 05:44:02 PM »
Hi Ross

Hope all goes well.

I've produced 4 or 5 sheds from the REMLR renovations page. During the learning curve I have duplicated a shed by mistake (because it had two different types of vehicle). My question is - can and how can a shed be deleted?

Cheers,  Mike

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 08:26:14 PM »
Thats an easy fix by Richard in admin mode.
Just list here the file names to keep and the files to toss. Well done Mike by the way.

I am in contact with Paul now and Paul will be a good helper as well.

Its 3 weeks now and things are sorting out. From trial and error I have arrived at a Naming Convention. Obviously not perfected, but a good thing, and important:  I began a new thread for that issue.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 12:19:43 PM by Carzee »

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 12:30:03 PM »
btw the Wiki front page, aka "The Main page" has issues to fix i think, and we need Richard, the Admin, to fix the main page

>a typo "encompas"

>delete the link on a bullet point to inbuilt Wiki help "Go here to learn How to create a new page"

>delete "Go here to learn how to go about Inserting a photo to a page"

>delete "Information on formatting can be found here" https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Formatting"

Those deletions would be replaced by a pointer to this help desk thread, where we would say "Please have a look a this Template page and how its coded. The [[ brackets are making a link to a page... etc. See the code for inserting the photo of the Ambulance.... etc. Thats how you do it."

and another link to the thread "here is our file naming convention".
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 07:31:22 AM by Carzee »

Offline Trraca

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 11
    • Trraca's Shed
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 08:53:41 PM »
Hi Ross

I'm glad Paul came on board. Thats going to be an awesome restoration and I've no doubt his expertise will help to record others.

You will note on the index page that there are 2 x Brian 's Shed and one Brien's Shed. The Brien's Shed and one of the Brian's Sheds should be deleted. The remaining Brian's Shed contains two vehicles, A Series 2A GS and a Series 2A Ambulance. Sorry to be dull but how do you attach the Shed name to each ARN without duplicating the Shed?
Cheers,  Mike

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2015, 07:37:42 AM »
Hi Mike, I'm at work but I had a look on the smartphone at the index.

One was Brian's Shed and the other was Brians' Shed, so it was a typo with that apostrophe.  Simple fix, done.
I always used to misspell it as Brain as a kid, my dad was a Brian.