Author Topic: International Mk3, ARN 170-862  (Read 24314 times)

Offline Mick_Marsh

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 110
  • REMLR No: 310
International Mk3, ARN 170-862
« on: July 15, 2012, 11:31:48 PM »
Introducing 170-862

I've been looking at Inters for a little while now. I like the simple, agriculturalness of them.
I didn't really want to buy one at this point in time. Nowhere to put it.
A fellow, not too far from me, advertised one on another forum. I emailed the seller offering to post up photo's for him. When I saw the photo's I thought it was quite a nice looking truck, reasonably original and almost complete.

About a month later, the seller emailed me. Apparently I was the only one showing any interest in it. Well, this Inter clearly needed saving. Well, this was a big thing for me and I clearly needed help, so it was off to see Alien. After the Series III saga, I'm surprised Mrs Alien still lets me in the house. Alien was particularly enthusiastic despite Mrs Alien stipulating "It's not parking here."

So then we went down to look at the truck.
It was certainly original and almost complete. We took it for a spin. It drove quite well but had no brakes. Alien by this stage was getting quite interested in it. I was also interested in it and we (the seller and myself) agreed on a price.
So, probably the worst kept secret, I bought myself an Inter.

Well, last Saturday Alien and I went to pick it up. A big thanks to Alien for this because I would have found the task nearly impossible. And thanks to Cookey who sent me a spare brake booster diaphragm just in case. It drove very well to where I was thinking it was going to be stored temporarily.

I had no idea how short a time "temporarily" was. Alien has stolen it.

Let me elaborate.

I drove to Riddells Creek today. In the hybrid.  There is a very nice fellow there who has lots of Landrovers. He and some mates used to go to the army auctions and buy whatever was going. Well, he had some hood bows he didn't know what they were from. "I think they're from an Inter" I said. "You can have them" he said. So Nigel and I (Nigel, a non-Landrover friend, wanted to come along for the drive) went to collect the hood bows. The nice fellow from Riddels Creek gave us a tour of his collection, we loaded the bows and headed for home. Now, Nigel was unimpressed when I told him I had bought the truck and on the way home I confessed I didn't know why I bought it.
So, on the way back, I drove past where it was parked last night AND IT WAS GONE!
Driving around to the back gate, there was Alien, locking the gates and about to drive it to his place.
He was sprung.

Alien has quite taken to, and is very enthusiastic about, the truck. I suspect he will be wanting to buy it off me soon. If Mrs Alien gives permission.

Oh, by the way, Nigel was very impressed with the truck. He reckons he knows why I bought it and has promised to explain it to me one day. He even wanted Alien to drive it round to the tennis club so we could show it to Nigel's wife. What the!

And the hood bows fitted.

So, now it is sitting in Aliens driveway, with the Series III a certain person should buy to drop a whopping great V8 in. Mrs Alien is all smiles and offered me a cuppa. Welcome not worn out there, yet. All is right with the world.

Now on to the serious stuff. What to do from here?
I would like to get it on to a club permit ASAP so it needs a roadworthy. All advice is gratefully received
- The rust in the cab needs to be fixed. Any recommendations?
- The seats need fixing. I think a local motor trimmer can do that
- New windscreen glass. A fellow in Ballarat can do that. I know one who did a good job on the Landy and Mercs.
- I need a shear pin for the winch and perhaps a couple of spares. Anyone know where to get these?
- 12.00x20 bar treads need to be sourced. I have a local tyre dealer looking into this but any leads will be helpful.
- The front brakes are binding. It appears the adjuster may be adjusting up when they're applied.
- Drivers side door window to be sourced. Anyone know where there are some available?
- Drivers side quarter vent window to be sourced. Anyone know where there are some available?
- Two hinges for the roof hatch to be sourced. Anyone know where there are some available?
- The lights need sorting out. Half of them don't work. I can fault find that. Probably just blown globes.
- The indicator switch needs a good clean and check.
- The carby needs a good clean. Plugs and points replaced too.
- Seat belts need replacing
- Two or three hood bows to be sourced. Anyone know where there are some available?
- Canvas canopy to be sourced. Anyone know where I can get one made?

This list will grow

All the pictures I have taken are here. The last ten are from yesterday.
http://s1074.photobucket.com/albums/w406/mick_marsh_AULRO/Inter/

Password: Micks_Inter
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 11:35:34 PM by Mick_Marsh »
REMLR # 310, MVCA # 364, 101 Club # 2188, MHG #101
29-417 101 GS, 30-248 101 Rapier Tractor. 30-238 101
34-597 Crump & Cornish 1 ton Cargo Trailer
RT21 RAAF Track Tactical Trailer, 234-671 RAAF Track Tactical Trailer

Offline Mick_Marsh

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 110
Re: International Mk3, ARN 170-862
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 02:00:06 PM »
Well, actually three fora.
And it will be appearing in the Mercedes club magazine. September issue.
I thought they should be aware of what is being registered through their club.

Offline cookey

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 57
  • ex-crafty
  • REMLR No: 356
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 05:08:59 PM »
Hi Mick,
what a great looking truck!!   You are very fortunate that it is so complete and hasn't been modified or messed around with.
The rust issues don't look all that bad (even remembering that rust is almost much worse than first appears). They are pretty tough panels so don't be afraid to take to them with a grinder and clean them up, that's the first step. Cut out any rusted (holed) sections, make up some new sections and weld them in. Anyone competent with an oxy torch should be able to do this. Finally, clean up the welds, apply just enough filler to obtain a nice smooth finish, prime and paint.

The 1200x20 bar treads can be both hard to find and expensive. The later NATO pattern radials (Mack) are a great alternative. They are also much safer to drive on. Used ones are often on E-bay at less than $100 each. (I recently bought 8 complete with tubes and rust bands for $300)

The front brakes binding may be due to rust in the drums or sticking wheel cylinders (not returning fully). I replaced all cylinders on my Mk3, cleaned the drums with emery paper, re-adjusted all shoes, and the brakes are now excellent.

I can possibly help out with the 1/4 vent and door windows. I use a Unimog canvas on my truck. Fits as per photo's without any modification. Check out Cookeys Shed.

Regards,
Cookey

lost count

Offline Mick_Marsh

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 110
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 07:34:29 PM »
Thanks Cookey. I might take you up on your kind offer.
I still owe you for the diaphragm.
I'll PM you a little later.

Offline cookey

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 57
  • ex-crafty
lost count

Offline Alien

• THANKS 2
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 08:45:58 PM »
A thanks from me to Mick for letting me play with him on this project.

More for the wish list...
Dimension for the passenger seat base wanted.
The base of the seat has a clip so assume a seat clips off when using the roof hatch.

What do folk do for wiper blades, needs two.

And a few quetions for those in the know...
Is the rocker cover gasget a cork job?
If so hopfully it'll come of as one to do the tappets.

How is the winch cable suppose to be attached at the front for traviling and when rear winching?

Offline Mick_Marsh

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 110
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 08:55:49 PM »
I think Melton Autobarn has the wiper blades in stock. They're similar to vintage car wiper blades.
I'll pick some up on the weekend.

Oh, another thing on the wish list, a horndraulic trailer.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 08:57:51 PM by Mick_Marsh »

Offline Alien

• THANKS 2
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 09:00:47 PM »
The winch cable normally travels in the front position and is unlaid if you need to winch from the rear.

The usual practice is to tie a cord through the end and onto the other side of the brush guard.  This way if you accidently engage the winch the cord will snap and the cable winch through.  If you use a chain you are likely to break a sheer pin in the winch mechanism.

There is no hook at the end of the cable just the eye.
Could you explain the unlaying please.
My thoughts where  the cable would be shakled of to a point at the front a rear pull of 2->1 would be done via a snatch block.
Or does the cable get feed out the rear for a 1->1 pull?

Offline Mick_Marsh

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 110
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 09:19:47 PM »
I thought the winch was 1:1 out the back and it was fed round the pulley just to bring it out the front.
There is a diagram in the book.

Oh, yes. I forgot. Thanks for the book John, if you're on this forum.

Offline Mick_Marsh

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 110
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 05:04:07 PM »
Update:
I've booked in for a Heavy Rigid non synchromesh course.
I'll legally be able to drive the thing from September (assuming I pass, of course).

Offline cookey

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 57
  • ex-crafty
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 06:56:54 PM »
Hi Mick,

in NSW you only require a Light Rigid (LR) class licence to drive a Mk3 (up to 8 tonnes GVM).

This licence also allows you to tow a trailer of up to 9 tonnes GTM.

The Mk3 does not have a non-synchro gearbox, only the F1/F2 (6x6) had the crash box.

Good luck with your test.

Cookey
lost count

Offline FFRMAN

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 211
  • REMLR No: 314
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 08:06:52 PM »
G'day Mick,

Attached photo is the Inter TAC plate holder I have for you, not sure what the stencil means??

Cheers
Scott

Lots...............
VMVC 251,

Offline Mick_Marsh

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 110
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 09:30:48 AM »
Excellent. I'll be up soon. After the Wombat camp.

Offline Alien

• THANKS 2
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2012, 11:23:51 AM »
Thanks for the information ree the winch, I think I've got it worked out now :)

Droped the rear brake drums off via the hub bearings as the drums wouldn't move off the hub >:(
One wheel bearing set was freshly greased, the other very little and all dry.
We found a small splined shaft that had been twisted to shear point, I think it's an axle end.

Rear brakes are off, the expander and adjuster units will be cleaned and re-greased before it all goes back together.
The wheel cylinders have been removed for refurbishing,they will go with the front ones and the master cylinder when removed.
Brake shoes look hardly used so they can go back on keeping all the adjustments for the bell cranks ect..

The owner (who didn't want to get his hands dirty :P) started on the brake/tail light issues.
I think he has more patience for this fidily work than me :D

A bit more looking at the seat revealed something interesting.
The base of the drivers seat is held on with TEC screws ???
It has a clip at the front and one dowel pin and a spare hole the same size.
We think they line up for the top of the left seat, looks like we need to make up a drivers base now.

(Time to extract myself from the couch and go play with the grease, cheers)

dkg000

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2012, 06:00:20 PM »
The passenger side seat was originally set up to remove the seat cushion, and then stand on the seat base to use the roof cupola, I have seen later models including the 6x6's where they did away with the removable cushion and seat was fixed, there is a bloke on the sth west coast in vic who has the fixed cushions nos ex army stores for sale. If you are interested PM me and I will dig up his phone no.