Author Topic: Perentie FFR Battery Hold Down Frame.  (Read 5417 times)

Offline circlework

• THANKS 24
  • REMLR No: 400
Perentie FFR Battery Hold Down Frame.
« on: December 09, 2014, 11:50:18 PM »

Hi All,

I'm looking to procure a battery top hold down frame and associated fastenings for the Perentie  radio battery locker.
Some of the FFRs had been stripped of their batteries and some associated furniture and mine's one of them.  :'(

PM me, or shoot me a mail to daryl at aussiebroadband dotcom dotau.

Thanks.

Cheers,  Daryl.

49-181 'the SlugBox' Perentie Survey Hardtop.

Offline isuzutoo-eh

• THANKS 33
Re: Perentie FFR Battery Hold Down Frame.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 08:29:36 AM »
I would be inclined to get someone smarter than me to fabricate new ones to hold N70 size batteries, rather than the fairly obscure and more expensive next size up that the army fitted, which come in such a variation of dimensions that they often need packing or extra bits added to make the bracket useful. Took me ages to find some that fit and were at an attainable price, and they still needed extra securing made up as they were 10mm shorter in length than the bracket is made for.
-Mark
ex-NSW Police 2a. Civvy One Ten. 204-986 PT1-1.2. 50-543 project stretch limo. Formerly 48-803 110 FFR

Offline Philthy

• THANKS 71
  • REMLR No: 425
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 08:55:15 AM »
Could you make something like this? Or buy one as they are an off the shelf item. Have a poke around a ships chandler outlets.

Good luck.

Offline aussiegregmac

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 97
  • REMLR No: 384
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 09:21:32 AM »
Definitely recommend you get your own made.   Original are not made heavy duty enough and the top frame bends when screwed down too tightly.
Resulting in never getting the correct tension to hold down two 100amp batteries.
1942 C15 Blitz RadioVan 42-CMP "The PieVan"
1960 Series2 FFW 111-515  "The Woodcutter"
1991 Perentie RFSV 51-699  "Berzerker"
1996 Perentie INF 6x6 202-189 "The Walrus"

Offline circlework

• THANKS 24
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 09:40:54 AM »
Definitely recommend you get your own made.   Original are not made heavy duty enough and the top frame bends when screwed down too tightly.
Resulting in never getting the correct tension to hold down two 100amp batteries.

Oh, good call.   Thanks for the heads-up.
I've got no problem fabbing a solution and Philthy's suggestion looks good, providing it also keeps them from sliding.   I'm sure I'll work something out.
Looks like practicality will win out over originality.

Thanks guys.
Cheers,  Daryl.

Offline circlework

• THANKS 24
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 11:54:53 AM »
I would be inclined to get someone smarter than me to fabricate new ones to hold N70 size batteries, rather than the fairly obscure and more expensive next size up that the army fitted, which come in such a variation of dimensions that they often need packing or extra bits added to make the bracket useful. Took me ages to find some that fit and were at an attainable price, and they still needed extra securing made up as they were 10mm shorter in length than the bracket is made for.

Hi Mark,
I am going to get the Exide ED6 deep cycle batteries that were fitted to FFRs by Defence, as they are good value compared to Optima Blue tops ....

Optima Blue:  Capacity, 75Ah.   Cost, ~$350.00 ea.
Exide ED6:  Capacity,  85Ah.   Cost, ~$180.00ea.

So, for around the same price, I can get double the capacity, although, maybe questionable longevity.

Thanks.
Cheers,  Daryl.

Offline isuzutoo-eh

• THANKS 33
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 12:45:18 PM »
Your experience may vary, but when I tried to buy a pair of ED6s, the Exide stockist I called said it was no longer produced, and there wasn't yet an Exide replacement.
Ended up with a pair of the rather naff named 'Kickass' 120A/H gel cell batteries, cost $225 each.
-Mark
ex-NSW Police 2a. Civvy One Ten. 204-986 PT1-1.2. 50-543 project stretch limo. Formerly 48-803 110 FFR

Offline circlework

• THANKS 24
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 05:31:53 PM »
Hey Mark, thanks for the tip.
'Kickass' eh.   I know a lot of ppl I'd like to 'battery'!

« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 05:35:06 PM by circlework »
Cheers,  Daryl.

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
  • REMLR No: 007
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 07:59:42 PM »
Last week I purchased two batteries from Westrac Catapillar and this week I installed them with a Red Arc Dual Battery Isolator SBI12: http://www.redarc.com.au/products/product/smart-start-sbi_12v_100a/

The other day I used a rachet strap to hold down the batteries onto the tray and went out for a sunny day drive on bitumen to check the battery isolator operation. All good there.

Next thing was to source a battery hold down bracket to fit the FFR tray.
I went to a welder-fabricator by the name of Andrew who works near where I work, dropped it in before work and came home with a Hold Down bracket that needs some painting but is otherwise everything required. The design seems effective for corrogated roads, its tidy and was worked out on the spot. The welding was neat as a pin and I'll definitely go to Andrew for other goodies.

See pics and http://www.remlr.com/wiki/index.php?title=50-257-2015-Aug_Dual_Batteries