Author Topic: A bit confused ....  (Read 18163 times)

Offline fc101

• THANKS 55
  • REMLR No: 243
Re: A bit confused ....
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2015, 08:54:04 PM »
You are talking prototypes - these were a different to pre production and production 101s - they looked different and proved the original idea for the 101 did not work and as a result everything was resigned from suspension, drive, engines and body.  It was about this stage that the powered trailer idea was disgarded though an early pre production 101 did have it fitted with the same result as the prototypes, that is why no production 101s had the trailer.

The 101 was already in service with the UK before we did trials on the 101 here.

Garry

Offline Diana Alan

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 108
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2015, 09:21:45 AM »
I've always thought that the trials vehicles were pre-production and were fitted with ENV diffs and had different fuel tanks to the production 101s. There was an article in a national magazine on the trials vehicles after they had been disposed of by the Army. They were then owned by ULR and had the driven trailers with them which also had ENV diffs. I am not certain but I think these vehicles didn't have permanent 4WD. There is a faint chance I may still have the magazine concerned. I ended up buying one of the fuel tanks and installed it on my own series 2B about 1982. I think that the 101 the tank came from was the one that had the bus body installed on it when Capt Mark Phillips came to Oz for a Horse event. I think it's still around, it was a few years back that it was offered for sale. Hope this hasn't muddied the water too much... John
John

If the tank came off the bus one you must have bought it in the last 5 years.  The bus one with the ENV driven trailer was in Cairns as recently as Feb 2009.

REMLR 240.
Perentie FFR 50-422, SIII FFR 30-146, SIIA GunBuggy 112-726, Mk3 Inter 170-437, ex-SADF SIIB/SIII Radio Relay,
Army Trailers: No5 x 2, W/S x 2, PT1-1.2, Horndraulic ATR dog trailer.
Civilian: MY85 RRc HiLine 4.6, MY51 ex-RACQ 80", MY91 Defender/Reynolds Boughton 6x6, MY12 D4 SDV6

Offline m-coffey

• THANKS 23
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2015, 09:22:49 AM »
just watched the longest beach and there are two production 101s with trailers crossing the sahara desert, one of them is now in port Lincoln to be restored.

Offline fc101

• THANKS 55
  • REMLR No: 243
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2015, 11:18:22 AM »
I thought they were normal trailers rather than the powered trailers but am not sure.  That trip was done very early in the 101 production timeframe.

Edit - just looked at the short clip on Youtube and the trailers do seem to be the powered versions.  The Sahara trip was done in 1975 and used very early production vehicles and I had thought that the powered trailer was dropped a few years earlier.  However the early sales brochures for the 101 certainly did have the powered trailer included.

Cheers

Garry
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 11:39:16 AM by garrycol »

Offline Bluebell One-eight

• THANKS 34
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2015, 12:44:42 PM »
I've always thought that the trials vehicles were pre-production and were fitted with ENV diffs and had different fuel tanks to the production 101s. There was an article in a national magazine on the trials vehicles after they had been disposed of by the Army. They were then owned by ULR and had the driven trailers with them which also had ENV diffs. I am not certain but I think these vehicles didn't have permanent 4WD. There is a faint chance I may still have the magazine concerned. I ended up buying one of the fuel tanks and installed it on my own series 2B about 1982. I think that the 101 the tank came from was the one that had the bus body installed on it when Capt Mark Phillips came to Oz for a Horse event. I think it's still around, it was a few years back that it was offered for sale. Hope this hasn't muddied the water too much... John
John
Dianna the tank was removed when the vehicle was stripped prior to the body being fitted. At that time the two 101s resided in Dandenong. The tank is VERY different to any thing else fitted to Land Rovers, that I have seen. It is close to a cube but its length is larger than either width or depth.....John

If the tank came off the bus one you must have bought it in the last 5 years.  The bus one with the ENV driven trailer was in Cairns as recently as Feb 2009.