Author Topic: LRA Pre-Production Trials LRPV 6x6  (Read 6610 times)

Tommy

LRA Pre-Production Trials LRPV 6x6
« on: July 12, 2013, 06:35:29 PM »
Acquired these photos the other week showing a pre-production LRPV 6x6 under test by members of the SASR circa 1983/84. The bottom photo (not from my collection) shows the same vehicle within Campbell Barracks. High res versions to be forward onto Richard for website.

From the information shown below, this vehicle never entered service so therefore received no ARN.

Information taken from REMLR database.  110 Perentie - Prototypes and Trials that did not enter Service - Land Rover Owned "Project Perentie" Vehicles and 6x6 vehicles

Trials / LR   ....MMQ-248 (NSW Civilian Plates)....1983....6x6 Wide....LRA 6x6 Reference Vehicle for Project Perentie. Eventualy sold off. Photo in advert in Bushdriver

Does anyone have the advertisement from Bushdriver? Does anyone know if this vehicle exists today?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 09:12:19 AM by Tommy »

Offline Mike C

• THANKS 92
Re: LRA Pre-Production Trials LRPV 6x6
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 12:52:33 AM »
Don't know what happened to it, but the AWM was the happy recipient of a number of 'bits' from it for the battle-damaged LRPV returned from Afghanistan (which the SASR, very thoughtfully, partially stripped, despite direction from CA to leave 'as is').

A Left Hand Drive version for foreign sales was also built. It was offered to AWM but I reluctantly declined it (for all the usual reasons), suggesting that it might be of interest to AMB. They were, and that is where it now resides.

Mike C

Offline Phoenix

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 86
    • REMLR
  • REMLR No: 129
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 03:30:22 PM »
The LHD one is indeed at Bandiana, and looks great when I looked at it last week  8)

This one, I do have some information on in the form of an article written on this, and 2 other 6x6 vehicles that formed the basis of some prototypes.  I just need time to get it online with some other information, and now these photos as well.  Trouble with holidays is that work backs up!
REMLR Webmaster
Eden - 1961 Series 2 Ambulance, 108-098
1973 Army Moke, 25-764

Offline FFRMAN

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 211
  • REMLR No: 314
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 06:21:03 PM »
The LHD one is indeed at Bandiana, and looks great when I looked at it last week  8)

Lots...............
VMVC 251,

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
  • REMLR No: 007
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 08:54:17 PM »
Acquired these photos the other week showing a pre-production LRPV 6x6 under test by members of the SASR circa 1983/84. The bottom photo (not from my collection) shows the same vehicle within Campbell Barracks. High res versions to be forward onto Richard for website.

From the information shown below, this vehicle never entered service so therefore received no ARN.

Information taken from REMLR database.  110 Perentie - Prototypes and Trials that did not enter Service - Land Rover Owned "Project Perentie" Vehicles and 6x6 vehicles

Trials / LR   ....MMQ-248 (NSW Civilian Plates)....1983....6x6 Wide....LRA 6x6 Reference Vehicle for Project Perentie. Eventualy sold off. Photo in advert in Bushdriver

Does anyone have the advertisement from Bushdriver? Does anyone know if this vehicle exists today?

The post from Tommy says 1983/84.
Would it not be more like 1987/89?

The LRPV 6x6 in the photos has the extra wide cab, not the std width cab. It has Steel Trek tyres. In one photo (the motor pool sort of location) there is a Perentie GS in the background.

Anyway, the prototype build year question aside, I am posting here a snip from Federal Hansard regarding the SASR using a LRPV on Exercise Kangaroo 92. The details would help fill in the LRPV page at http://www.remlr.com/perentie-lrpv.html which looks a bit "lite" on tech information.. I also think it obvious that the Steyr and the Raven would be problematic in the surf. :)

Offline juddy

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 62
    • www.landybitz.com.au
  • REMLR No: 352
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 06:39:32 AM »
I think 87/89 would be better, is that a civilian 6x6 on the right?
1991 110 Truck Surveillance (RFSV), Winch MC2 *51-656*
2004 Truck, Carryall, Lightweight, Modified Military Special, With Winch, MC2/3 205-301, Haulmark PT1-1.2 *205090* No5 Trailer

Images © 2008-2017 J Burton

Offline Diana Alan

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 108
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 01:07:55 PM »
I think 87/89 would be better, is that a civilian 6x6 on the right?
No it will be the 6x6 Reference vehicle.  Was owned by JRA/LRA and most likely still is but is now in the collection at the Army Museum Bandiana.  It used to frequent some of the Land Rover shows, particularly the Expo in Sydney.

was NSW rego ZCF-358  1983 6x6 Wide SALLDMAZ1AY600005
JRA 6x6 Reference Vehicle for Project Perentie. Became Wide Body prototype, then Dual cab prototype. 

REMLR 240.
Perentie FFR 50-422, SIII FFR 30-146, SIIA GunBuggy 112-726, Mk3 Inter 170-437, ex-SADF SIIB/SIII Radio Relay,
Army Trailers: No5 x 2, W/S x 2, PT1-1.2, Horndraulic ATR dog trailer.
Civilian: MY85 RRc HiLine 4.6, MY51 ex-RACQ 80", MY91 Defender/Reynolds Boughton 6x6, MY12 D4 SDV6

Offline Dervish

• THANKS 59
  • REMLR No: 403
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 02:09:36 PM »
I am conscious that this is pushing the thread slightly off topic, but ZCF-358 appears to have a new registration; AT-76-ZT.

I have no information about this photo beyond what is visible.

Offline Phoenix

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 86
    • REMLR
  • REMLR No: 129
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 03:27:40 PM »
Ok, I will try and answer some questions, first the dual cab.

ZCF-358 has had a number of registrations over the years, the one in the above photo is one of many as the vehicle was in and out of registration because of changes, modifications, updates etc that needed to be re engineered for registration.  The vehicle is currently at bandiana I am told by the person who was driving the vehicle in that photo ;)  .  This is a 1983 vehicle.

the LHD 6x6 LRPV V8 at bandiana was actually very late in the production (near the end from memory).

MMQ-248 was from memory dismantled after serving as the LRPV prototype.
REMLR Webmaster
Eden - 1961 Series 2 Ambulance, 108-098
1973 Army Moke, 25-764

Offline DennisM

• Veteran
  • THANKS 256
  • REMLR No: 70
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 06:24:54 PM »
I don't know much about the vehicle in the image, but I would say the image was taken in Cooma in 2008, cheers Dennis

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
  • REMLR No: 007
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 10:20:36 PM »
I have scavenged a photo for the archives of a July 1991 Army News article reporting the new LRPV handover/delivery to SASR WA.

The text says that work on a specialized vehicle began in 1982 as Tommy stated at the top.
quote-

Work started on the variant in 1982 when the regiment identified the need for a custom-built vehicle to meet the SASR unique requirements for mobility, reliability and endurance.

Major Jeff Kidner, 2IC SASR, said the new LRPV represented a quantum leap in SASR's vehicle mounted operational capabilities and so far the unit has had favorable reactions to the handling of the vehicle.

Starting with a standard six-wheel drive Australian built 110 Land-Rover, substantial modifications were added to meet the SASR project requirements.

"The transition from four-wheel drive to six-wheel drive means bigger loads can be carried over longer distances. Heavier construction and an extra rear axle will ensure we can go anywhere the four-wheel drives can go without damaging or overstressing the vehicle," Major Kidner explained.

Powered by a turbo-charged four cylinder direct injection engine which develops 90kw of power at 3,000 rpm, and incorporating power steering, soldiers have noted substantial increases in power, manouverability and comfort levels.

Maj Kidner said front and rear gun mounts had been included to accept a wide variety of weaponry and long range fuel tanks would allow the vehicle to be driven from Perth to Sydney with only one fuel stop.

Also added to the vehicle are a winch, high lift jack, running boards, roll bars and improved seating to provide more comfort and support for operators when travelling across rugged terrain.

"Placing less stress on the vehicle and men will mean substantial increases in reliability and a large saving in down time", Maj Kidner said.

photo caption:

Major Jeff Kidner, 2IC SASR, accepts delivery of the first of 10 new Long Range Patrol Vehicles from the General Manager of Land Rover Australia, Jim Seagroatt. An informal handover ceremony was held when the unit held a familiarization day at 10 Tpt Sqn's off-road training area...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 10:51:39 PM by Carzee »