Author Topic: Carzee's Camp Cooker for breezy places.  (Read 2161 times)

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
  • REMLR No: 007
Carzee's Camp Cooker for breezy places.
« on: December 12, 2013, 01:35:47 PM »
My wife and I like camping and some solitude like everyone else. I'd like to slow things down, go for a drive in a Landy and camp for a few days just in one spot until the meat runs out or the esky gets warm, whichever comes first. Along with this daydream goes a homemade 12v hot shower. We don't campervan and we don't caravan. We make do though.

[[ I also like backpacking and bushwalking, but this item is about the more substantial sort camping... ]]

I use a gas burner on legs that cost about $60 rrp. The twin ring burner setup is strong / primitive / simple and is a Bromic P/L brand item sold thru Camping World.

I got a BBQ plate, used, from a household 4 burner bbq like a Jackaroo. It cost $4 for the plate, as new condition. (I think I got ripped off. I should've haggled: they've got a stack of them at the tip). In size, its 48cm long and 40cm wide. It covers the stove, just the right size, not to the mm but pretty close.

BTW, this thing kicked off with a piece of Camping World junkmail the other month; they showed a folding bbq on legs that had a 3 sided wind shield arrangement (from China of course) and looked like it would be good for a few times and then... but that item made me recall that one of my many "To Do" jobs, "one day", was to improve the bbq and stove operation when out in the breezes of the Monaro and Canberra.

[[ Anybody who attended the Cooma LR celebrations and especially the parade out in the paddock would've experienced the level of breeze i'm thinking about... and our own patio has a similar breeze going sometimes as well. ]]

I originally thought I'd go to SuperCheapAuto or somewhere and score a car parts washing tub or metal tool box of the right size and just put the burner into that. And when not using it for cooking, the parts tub can simply be something else to carry camping gear (after a wash) in the back of the Landy - its just a lightweight 4 sided metal box after all...

...and then I thought about the local tip (cough - Resource Management Center -cough). Larger metal items often get tossed; eg the bbq plate I had already. And gym equipment. And hoists. And tyre chains. And items from demolitions...

So I went there first. We all should if we can. Yeah right. But this time I did okay.

I got a SS 4 sided "tub" alright ($20) -- and I got a piece of aluminium from a old screen door where the kids kick them ($1).

Then I got busy for a hour or two.

This thing cooks as normal, nothing different really. And its stainless! Made In Australia by Malleys. I did learn from experience that I have to make a further access hole for re-lights. A re-light may be needed if you turn down the burners too far.

Anyone got anything similar or any constructive comments?

cheers.

Offline AlexR

• THANKS 32
  • REMLR No: 402
Re: Carzee's Camp Cooker for breezy places.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 06:50:26 PM »
Looks like a great idea carzee! I reckon you should take out a patent on that....
1989 Perentie 110 GS and No. 5 trailer
1974 series 3 cab chassis
1987 Perentie cab chassis

Offline Carzee

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 164
  • Perentie FFR 50-257
    • Perentie Wiki
  • REMLR No: 007
Re: Carzee's Camp Cooker for breezy places.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 05:43:33 PM »
Thx for that but I would'nt go sink ing any money into the idea yet! :)

I was reading a few months ago about how Aussies got by in the depression era - homes made from scrap timbers, stoves from old drums and clay etc.

This is a time of luxury as Monty Python said.