Author Topic: Registering a 'Perentie' Landrover  (Read 161764 times)

Offline tona

• THANKS 10
  • REMLR No: 463
Re: Registering a 'Perentie' Landrover
« Reply #210 on: August 05, 2017, 11:14:57 AM »
 :o   DOPEY ,forgot to mention that 51 590  has  3600 on the plate as well as seating for three, TONA,.

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 65
  • REMLR No: 482
« Reply #211 on: August 05, 2017, 12:30:29 PM »
G'day Dopey, Tona -  Congratulations on your RFSV vehicles - you have a relative in the eastern states!  I've got 51-594 also from the Pilbara.  No worries with 3 seat registration in Victoria -  Mine is the 3600 kg version but the "Seats 3" on the compliance plate was a foregone conclusion when getting registered for "3" and why I spent a lot of time vetting the RFSV vehicles offered for sale before bidding.  The question is - predominantly what real differences are there between the 3200 Kg and 3600 Kg versions?  I have compared mine with others and can see no negligible differences other than the ID plate.     ???

STDDIVER

Offline Dervish

• THANKS 59
  • REMLR No: 403
« Reply #212 on: August 05, 2017, 04:18:26 PM »
My other RFSV, 48003, is a 3200kg version, and I have been told unless I get a mod plate for the 3rd seat, I can only register it as a 2 seater.

I would guess that is because 48-003 wasn't an RFSV to begin with, it was an FFR W/W. As such it would have the compliance plate to match that variant.

Offline tona

• THANKS 10
« Reply #213 on: August 08, 2017, 10:18:50 AM »
 ;D G/AY STDDIVER, GOOD TO HEAR OF ANOTHER RFSV on the go ,how much trouble are you having with the electrics on yours, mines been giving me s,,,,think its because they used to run them in salt water a lot of the time  ;D,i have a photo of when they were in service taken on the beach , but don't know how to put it up , enjoy ,mines going on a two week jaunt out in our midwest  with a fair amount of 4wding so i will enjoy , they are good off road, better than on road with those hi milers, cheers TONA,.

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 65
« Reply #214 on: August 08, 2017, 03:08:09 PM »
G'day Tona and Mike - Thanks heaps for a most interesting thread and information on your vehicles.  51-594  AKA  'Alcimedes' was purchased in WA at Welshpool auctions on the 17th of August last year.  Could not get a copy of the log book - no matter what.  The speedo had 49 km on it -wondered why?  It can't be right! :-\

This must mean something has been done to the vehicle, but what? - engine replacement or busted speedo or other problem?   I rang up Grays and they were as helpful as they could be but could not commit to being specific - as you would expect, they are an auction house and not mechanics.  Willing to help though and went out of their way to be helpful.  What you don't see in the information advertised and is evident only when you get the vehicle home, is the tools in the rear compartments, the jack, the cloth covers on the sun visors, the clean condition of the rear step and inside the rear boxes which were in exceptional condition and looked like it was treated by someone who really cared for the vehicle like they owned it. There was dust and there were expended casings in the hard to get places but this added to the history and why I will keep the vehicle intact.

So not knowing any of this, - leap of faith - bought 51-594 for better or worse, richer or poorer etc.  Got her home through the car transporters and picked her up in Melbourne at the transport depot.  Running when handed over to me and left running, drives noisy, steering crap, and lots of little things to do.  Driving home I found the ignition switch was faulty and when I turned the engine off, the vehicle would not start using the key.  So the usual jump start worked and the batteries were okay after a hour and a half run.  Stopped for a toilet break, yes - I realised I have to jump the starter motor, but when I tried the ignition key, she never faulted again!  Can't explain why!

Roadworthy - next chapter.  Indicator controls were a bit loose and sloppy - so new assembly fitted as I always have these spare.  I had learned this lesson with 230-051 and 48-796 and these simple component swap outs are easy to do and fix a lot of intermittent problems. Took her into to Peter "They never get through on the first attempt" Roadworthy tester and Peter did his worse/best.  I like the fact that he is very thorough and when he passes something or fails it there is good reason for it.  51-594 in spite of Peter's best efforts got through first time with the comment "Some one has spent a lot of time and money on this vehicle, universals are new, brakes, diffs, transfer case and under body is immaculate,  can't even find the usual land rover anti corrosion automatic oil leaks operating"  Bugger - I'll have to pass it!!!!!!! 

Then to VicRoads - I think that when a vehicle is washed, cleaned and well presented it shows.  There was the comment - "That seat in the back will have to go" but with a knowing smile and the obligatory inspection of the compliance plate - "well I have never seen that before" and 51-594 was registered with 3 seats.  Professional, courteous and efficient. 

The RFSV gear ratios, tyres and centre of gravity are very well balanced.  We have done a few Grampians treks and 51-594 is also exceptional in the sand hills near where I live.  Stock standard from the Army, with highway pressures, engaged the central diff  and climbed every sand hill, flying past the rice burners and bleeps like nothing before.  The vehicles have a capability that is exceptional.  Slower on the road, smarter in the bush where it counts. 

Thanks again for the information - I find this conversation very interesting,    Frank    ;)

Offline dugite

• REMLR Committee
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 103
  • REMLR No: 374
« Reply #215 on: August 08, 2017, 07:40:33 PM »

So the usual jump start worked and the batteries were okay after a hour and a half run.  Stopped for a toilet break, yes - I realised I have to jump the starter motor, but when I tried the ignition key, she never faulted again!  Can't explain why!
    Frank    ;)

OK Frank - it could be this (fingers crossed :) )

if you have the raised fuse box take the cover off and take the centre relay out (the third relay counting from the left) and clean the contacts... this will probably work

the relays are removed with the same orange plastic grasping tool as is used for the fuse replacement (there should be one of these tiny plastic tools attached to some of the wiring when your remove the fuse box cover)

I think that some of these vehicles were used so rarely that corrosion set in on some of the electrical contacts.
2a 109 114-341,
No.5 173-589,
W/S Platform 178-000,
PT1 204-796

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 65
« Reply #216 on: August 08, 2017, 08:26:10 PM »

Thanks Dugite - I went out to the workshop, pulled the relay out and "as expected" there's a bit of residue on all the terminals.  Gentle steel wool, back in and off we go.  Did the lot whilst I was there.  CO contact cleaner as well.  The switch still functions flawlessly but this is a good learning none the less!

Thanks for the effort and care    ;)

Frank 

Offline tona

• THANKS 10
« Reply #217 on: August 17, 2017, 11:21:12 AM »
 ;)HI DUGITE ,do you happen to know where the earths are for the relays behind the dash, i am having trouble with my starter relay ,i am  getting voltage drop to the contactor on the starter people are telling me to check the earth at the back of the dash panel some where to check the earths , i am currently have it hot wired but don't want to keep it this way ,thanks for any you may gave me ,TONA.

Offline Dozer

• THANKS 5
« Reply #218 on: August 17, 2017, 12:01:08 PM »
Every time I see things written about the IPVs and especially 48003 I feel pretty happy I got 48002, although I feel guilty going off road and feel the need to ensure I wash and scrub her down after every beach or bush trip.  My place isn't a museum but I do try and take good care of the vehicle and the family and friends absolutely love it!  Thankfully I am in NSW and the registration process was a breeze (with no mods required to blackouts or bonnet ornaments) and the condition I received 48002 in was of a high standard.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 12:08:41 PM by Dozer »
Perentie RFSV ARN 48002;  No.5 trailer ARN 177277; No.5 trailer ARN 173261;  Haulmark PT1-1.2 Cargo Trailer ARN 205034; Half-ponton ("Bailey or Ugli") bridge boat 63447; Silverwood dual axle RAN boat trailer NIC 20104; Marston Mat hoarder; Suzuki DRZ 400 E military spec

Offline STDDIVER

• REMLR Inc
  • THANKS 65
« Reply #219 on: August 29, 2017, 08:47:28 AM »

Good one Dopey - Its great to be able to just drive the vehicle when you want!  Look forwards to following your exploits!    :)

STDDIVER 

Offline Barefoot dave

• Vendor
  • THANKS 81
  • REMLR No: 369
« Reply #220 on: August 29, 2017, 09:16:50 PM »
G'day Mike.  Great to see you have a result for the epic process you have been through. 
Kind Regards, Barefoot Dave.
Reunited with my old mate, RFSV 51 680, 'Sleazy'!!
D2 TD5 Auto
Gone:'91 RFSV, '88 Truck Carryall 48 358. Both cared for by REMLR members.

Offline Dozer

• THANKS 5
« Reply #221 on: August 30, 2017, 05:33:40 AM »
Congrats Mike!!! :D
Perentie RFSV ARN 48002;  No.5 trailer ARN 177277; No.5 trailer ARN 173261;  Haulmark PT1-1.2 Cargo Trailer ARN 205034; Half-ponton ("Bailey or Ugli") bridge boat 63447; Silverwood dual axle RAN boat trailer NIC 20104; Marston Mat hoarder; Suzuki DRZ 400 E military spec

Offline tona

• THANKS 10
« Reply #222 on: October 14, 2017, 01:19:13 PM »
 ;D   CONGRATS MIKE,YEP THEY ARE BETTER OFF ROAD THAN ON ,51590 SAYS WELCOME TO HIS EX PILBARA MATE,TONA.

Offline PeteFox

• THANKS 11
« Reply #223 on: May 18, 2018, 08:04:47 PM »
A heads up.

I don’t know if this has been posted before,  but today I found out that the rules have changed.

I first registered my 6x6 in 2014 in NSW. It was registered in the condition it was purchased, i.e. complete with bonnet tools and blackout lights etc.
I moved to Tasmania and had the rego check done today. Two days ago I was told that there has been a change in the rules via a memorandum (federal I think) that all the bonnet attachments, including spare wheel mounts, all blackout lights and  the pintle hook have to be removed permanently.
The bonnet stuff for pedestrian safety, the blackout lights because some geniuses have been driving down the highway blacked out and the pintle hook because it doesn’t conform to Aust standards.
Pete
1990 Perentie 110 6x6 Air Defence 50-674

Offline ECN405

• THANKS 4
« Reply #224 on: May 18, 2018, 09:54:08 PM »
wow, the fun busters are out