Author Topic: FFR Engine Number and Chassis number - ARN  (Read 4007 times)

Offline Stenny

• THANKS 7
FFR Engine Number and Chassis number - ARN
« on: September 18, 2013, 03:14:32 PM »
 Not sure if this is where Im supposed to be asking, but I thought it may be a good place to start. I have looked through all the "to date" 110 ARN's and cannot quite put my finger on any ARN numbers even close to mine. My chassis number is SALLDHAZ1BF359894 with Engine number 917155. Seems to be a low chassis number with what seems a very high Engine number compared with others I noted. Any SALLDHZ1BF numbers I see listed anywhere start around the 500 000 range. Can anyone help please? I am obviously going wrong somewhere or maybe the vehicle has been an early version that has been fitted with a later engine maybe? The whole truck physically seems to be far too tidy for a 1989 model and reads very low miles (2571 KLM's  - 680 GENERATOR HOURS) which makes me think it may have had an extreme makeover at some stage and fitted with new instruments - but it was in Multiple pieces at Auction and supposedly been returned from Qauratine like that. (Brisbane Auction 3 months ago). I was also told a lot of FFR's deployed to Timor dont have many miles on them as they sat around quite a bit up there for years on end. I was told this one was in Timor after which it was stripped for qaurantine but never put back together. Does this sound right or am I being fed a load of Cods Wallop maybe?

Offline Diana Alan

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 108
Re: FFR Engine Number and Chassis number - ARN
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 03:32:14 PM »
Lots of them have been going through the Tennix/BAE Systems rebuild line where they zero timed everything and often fitted new speedo/hour meters.  Do you have the vehicle log book.
REMLR 240.
Perentie FFR 50-422, SIII FFR 30-146, SIIA GunBuggy 112-726, Mk3 Inter 170-437, ex-SADF SIIB/SIII Radio Relay,
Army Trailers: No5 x 2, W/S x 2, PT1-1.2, Horndraulic ATR dog trailer.
Civilian: MY85 RRc HiLine 4.6, MY51 ex-RACQ 80", MY91 Defender/Reynolds Boughton 6x6, MY12 D4 SDV6

Offline Phoenix

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 86
    • REMLR
  • REMLR No: 129
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 04:03:15 PM »
Log books are zero timed as well.  Basically, you have a 30 year old vehicle, that is only a few years old because it's been rebuilt / refurbished!

Engines were swapped and changed.  if a major problem occurred (I understand) the engine would be swapped, and the busted one repaired and re crated.  At least that is the way it has happened in the past, might not be precisely the same with the current fleet, but the engine was probably rebuilt at tenix at the time and put back in to the vehicle.
REMLR Webmaster
Eden - 1961 Series 2 Ambulance, 108-098
1973 Army Moke, 25-764

Offline Stenny

• THANKS 7
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 09:53:00 AM »
 The probability of a vehicle of that age only having 2500 originals on it is almost zero to me regardless of what I have been told. I work with all ex Millitary Personal and most are Navy and Army Rad Techs. They are the ones telling me they sit around most of the time and do little mileage compared to others. They also tell me that there are "Fly in" Piece part Packs that sit around in storage for lengthy periods until deployment in times of conflict. A couple dont doubt the mileage at all especially Timor vehicles because they tell me that a heap were left up there for many years before bringing them home and Qaurantining them - and this one was in multiple pieces. Anyhow my personal oppinion is it is on a second life overhaul . There are bits on it that still make me wonder though. I work on Heavy Industrial Engines and Machinery ( Cat Diesel Fitter) for a living and some things on this just dont add up. The whole vehicle is as tight as. I mean not a rattle, not an oil leak, not a sniff of wear on any brake components (rotor assemblies especially), no wear on the Hitch, no wear on the door latch pins, brake and clutch pedal rubbers or anything. Very wierd not to find at least a few tell tale signs. Anyhow whatever the case its extremely tidy and I am very happy with it but it would be nice to have a little history on it rather than hear say stories. I would have loved a log book but unfortunately not.

Thanks Gents.

Offline Phoenix

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 86
    • REMLR
  • REMLR No: 129
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 01:19:49 PM »
Log book may have been water damaged after quarantine washing perhaps?  most vehicles are bring sold with theirs from what I have seen.

Ok, some information for you that I have been given.

There is no correlation between engine numbers and VIN at all.  49-222 was originally built with engine number 995006 so it has had an engine change, and form what you describe, yours sounds like it was one of the vehicles completely rebuilt on the line at Bandiana around 2007 ish.

Isuzu engine numbers were allocated in blocks of 100000, so vehicles in different 100000 number ranges are likely to show up as the engines went into a number of different vehicles.   Early Isuzu engines appeared in Series 3 Stage 1 vehicles and early civy 110's.  These were in the 700000 range.   Early Perenties started in the late 700000 for the first fifty or so vehicles.  They then moved through the 800000 to 900000 range. Late Perenties are 100000, 200000 and 300000 ranges with Bushranger built vehicles starting in the 200000 with some 400000 and 600000.

The six digit VINs are allocated by the UK and are linked to the CKD pack supplied. CKD packs generally contained enough material for twelve (12)
vehicles per pack and therefore each pack was shipped with 12 VINs allocated to the material as the identity of the vehicles to be built from that pack. In the Perentie case CKD packs were not complete vehicle pack as there was the Isuzu engine, local Chassis and many other local components. Accordingly, the VIN  number ranges could be all over the place just like the engines. For example we could have early vehicles in an 800000 range and later ones in a 300000 range.
REMLR Webmaster
Eden - 1961 Series 2 Ambulance, 108-098
1973 Army Moke, 25-764

Offline Diana Alan

• REMLR Inc
  • Veteran
  • THANKS 108
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 05:08:59 PM »
The probability of a vehicle of that age only having 2500 originals on it is almost zero to me regardless of what I have been told. I work with all ex Millitary Personal and most are Navy and Army Rad Techs. They are the ones telling me they sit around most of the time and do little mileage compared to others. ... Thanks Gents.
Hi Stenny

Sounds like you have a vehicle that will last reliably for some time.

What you say about sitting around is true.  Cookey on here was a RAEME craftsman and post service used to do contract service work for vehicles at the Holsworthy Base.  They would do a scheduled service on a vehicle, including changing tyres according to the schedule, then the vehicle would be returned to the lot, some months later the same vehicle would return for a scheduled service and the only mileage on the vehicle would be that between his workshop at Moorebank, to the base and back to his workshop.

Many of the vehicles that went to Iraq, were almost completely stripped in country on the orders of AQIS and had to be rebuilt on return to Australia.  Yours could be one of those.
REMLR 240.
Perentie FFR 50-422, SIII FFR 30-146, SIIA GunBuggy 112-726, Mk3 Inter 170-437, ex-SADF SIIB/SIII Radio Relay,
Army Trailers: No5 x 2, W/S x 2, PT1-1.2, Horndraulic ATR dog trailer.
Civilian: MY85 RRc HiLine 4.6, MY51 ex-RACQ 80", MY91 Defender/Reynolds Boughton 6x6, MY12 D4 SDV6

Offline Stenny

• THANKS 7
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 06:01:43 PM »
Thanks guys for the efforts in the info department. Appreciated.  I am still in contact with the guy that won 2 of these vehicles at auction, and it was he who put it together. I will contact him about a log book as he did not volunteer one at time of purchase but I did not ask either so he may have it. Anyhow again thanks.

I also ( sort of) have an old 1980 series 3 ex army job that originally had a 6 cylinder in it and was pensioned off in 1990, but some 17 years later the engine and I had to part company due to its ill health so I fitted a 186 into it. It still goes like a train 6 years post the heart transplant and am proud to say it and I did enormous miles together over the years and only twice did it ever let me down, but on neither occasion did I walk. . Spun a rear hub off once and drove home on the front wheels and blew a cab heater core and almost cooked it many miles from nowhere on another occasion. Luckily I had a line clamp with me at the time which solved that one. Anyhow I left it with a nephew of mine several years ago when changing Towns and was supposed to get it back one day when I got re - settled, but alas I think he has grown more attached to it than I after I spotted Perenties coming up for sale, so I decided to give it to him and have an excuse to buy another.  I will see if I can get the chassis number and the old Landie 6 engine number for the REMLR records. I should have at least 1 x rego slip pre 186 surgery about the place still for the engine number.
Cheers