Author Topic: Discovered on Farm: LRPV 175-196  (Read 11083 times)

Offline Tommy

• THANKS 72
  • REMLR No: 209
Re: Discovered on Farm: LRPV 175-196
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2015, 06:43:49 PM »
With help from my mate Gary (the mechanic), we had 196 up and running today. Apart from changing over the starter solenoid, there were no other problems encountered. The motor started up straight away. It runs perfectly with no smoke from the exhaust or tappet cover breather :)

Gary took the LRPV for a spin around the paddock. Everything worked as it should. I also installed a spare LRPV windscreen and centre storage box to cab.

Next job is the ROPS rebuild. The bar that you see on the vehicle is actually one half of the original ROPS. All I will need to do is have another length of pipe bent to this shape, reinstall the horizontal barwork that was removed by previous owner, weld in a new piece of mesh to top and a couple of new fixing brackets. The drop down spare wheel holders on each side will also be re-manufactured.

She is looking more like a LRPV everyday :).
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 08:15:24 PM by Tommy »

Offline Tommy

• THANKS 72
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2015, 03:22:30 PM »
Short video of the paddock test run :).

https://youtu.be/VGoorSLjYMg
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 03:28:03 PM by Tommy »

Offline DennisM

• THANKS 249
  • REMLR No: 70
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2015, 04:24:26 PM »
Looking good,  :D your lucky to have a mate who understands older engines and can work on it without the use of a computer, the only item on the vehicle that I personally wouldn't have, is the position of the fuel filter. If it splits (as they do sometimes from heat fatigue) the vehicle will be lost, I have one mounted on  mine down on the other side of the engine, just off the delivery side of the fuel line away from the heat, just my personal choice, otherwise the vehicle sounds good, cheers Dennis  :)

Offline Tommy

• THANKS 72
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2015, 09:04:09 PM »
Looking good,  :D your lucky to have a mate who understands older engines and can work on it without the use of a computer, the only item on the vehicle that I personally wouldn't have, is the position of the fuel filter. If it splits (as they do sometimes from heat fatigue) the vehicle will be lost, I have one mounted on  mine down on the other side of the engine, just off the delivery side of the fuel line away from the heat, just my personal choice, otherwise the vehicle sounds good, cheers Dennis  :)

Hello Dennis

Gary owns an ex MOD 101 and is a mechanic by trade. He has worked on most of my Land Rovers. A genius with old motors.

I agree with you in relation to the fuel line filter location. Was in this position when I bought the LRPV. I will move it next time I work on the motor.

Putting the safety factor to one side, this location allowed us to see fuel flow, fuel colour and whether the filter was dirty. Much better than lying under the vehicle and having fuel drip on ones face ;)

Motor did sound very good. Ticked over nicely :).