Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
1
Events / Re: Corowa Swim-In 2020
« Last post by Jan Thompson on Today at 02:35:55 PM »
Hi all,

I still have some sequential and standard number plates left for sale. If you are interested please let me know and I will post one to you. I currently have the following sequential number plates available at $30 plus postage:
103, 107, 108, 114, 115, 116, 119, 120,132, 133, 134.

I also have some standard plates available at $25 plus postage.
2
More pics of the trimcast centre console. Each side is secured to a seat base with three thick pull ties - there's no movement at all
3
Thanks Charlie
4
Nice work Pete!

Cheers Charlie
5
Thanks mate, I appreciate your help.
6
Looking good Pete
Cheers
Rod
7
Australian "Perentie " 110 & 6x6 Vehicles / Re: 49-390
« Last post by AGAS 5 on March 28, 2020, 04:35:51 PM »
Military Police sign is on. I made a canvas cover so I don't attract unwanted attention in transit mode 😁

I also made up a simple insulated drink holder out of an F88 laser pointer case. The plastic box behind it sits on top of the F88 mounts and will be held down by thick cable ties. Makes a great centre console 👍
8
Vehicles Wanted / Re: Acco 6x6 tipper
« Last post by 4x4-581 on March 28, 2020, 03:59:14 PM »
Bump,  still looking.
9
International F1, F2 & F5 / Re: 180-971 F1 Crane Truck
« Last post by Chazza on March 28, 2020, 09:45:57 AM »
Well done!

Nice to see that you are making progress,

Cheers Charlie
10
International F1, F2 & F5 / Re: 180-971 F1 Crane Truck
« Last post by Ravvin on March 27, 2020, 04:46:07 PM »
Shed's up.  ;D

Got the new cover last Friday, direct from the factory (in China). Heard a thump out the front and thought a passing car had hit a wallaby or something. Looked outside and saw a van in the front yard.
I opened the front door to see what was going on, just in time to see him drive off.



I got a hand during the week to get it out and dragged over the frame. We tensioned off the ends and left it a few days to settle and stretch. Today I re tensioned the ends and evened it up, then we hung the end covers. The main cover uses a choke rope on each end, sort of like the old covered wagons in Little House on the Prairie, and also has an internal strip with eyelets to run a rope through and around the end frames to lash it up tight. The ends are held on with just a loop of elastic cord with a knob on the end. You poke the cord through the eyelet in the end tarp, loop it around the frame and hook it over the knob on the end. I don't like the system. The end pieces are fairly heavy and flap in the breeze. I see the elastic cord failing and then the whole end blowing in. I think I will buy some rope and lash it to the end frames. Its not like I'll be taking it down often.

 

The ends look dirty, because they are. They were rolled op out in the yard and one was laying on the metal frame of the box it was all shipped in. Untreated steel, so its rust. It should fade, or I'll work out a way to clean it. The material is like the old truck tarps. Some sort of fabric reinforced PVC. I recall using Oxalic Acid to remove rust stains from fibreglass on one of the fishing boats I used to work on. I'll have to look it up and see if it is safe for PVC.

I will leave the shed for a few days, now that it is all tensioned, and then I have to fit the ratchet straps inside that pull the sides down tight and evenly. It should get a bit of sun on it over the next few days, so I'll see if there is any more stretching. I know it was pretty warm in there once we closed both ends up. The next thing to do is get a few LED light battens and get them set up. I'm going to run a couple of extension leads along the ridge, dropping down over the truck, so I don't have to keep climbing down to change tools.

While its still warm, I'll put 2 top coats of olive drab on the chassis rails and cross-members. Then I can refit the steel plates and rollers for the winch fair lead system. The bottom one is all cleaned, epoxy coated and primed. Will top coat it and refit with all new bolts. The top plate was seriously bent from when they pulled the winch cable in too far. I still need to heat it up with the LPG torch and try to straighten it with the press.
With that painted and back on, I can refit the air valve safety thing at the back and run new air lines to the trailer valves. Then replace all the old rusted out air lines with Brake-Safe rated pipe and fittings. I'm not going to stuff around with trying to make new steel ones. I'd need all new end fittings, it's difficult to get the bends right and if I don't get it exactly right, the mounting clips won't fit. The local truck place that do the engineering inspections for rego explained what I needed to use instead of steel to pass when I go for my certificate.

I've been working on some of the smaller bits while waiting for the shed cover, but I have to sort out my pics and get them all uploaded. I'll post a bit more once that is done.

Greg.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10